Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

THE HIGH KINGS

Options
  • 23-12-2011 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭

hi all -

i would be interested in hearing some views on the "high kings" from folk / traditional enthusiasts :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

The Clancy and Furey lads - great.

The other two, and as a result, the band? Not my cup of tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

They play to their target market but are bland and irritating to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭marzic

Terrible. They are average singers and musicians churning out bland versions of the very worst Irish ballads, sort of a cheap knock off Dubliners without the character or talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,099 ✭✭✭squonk

marzic wrote: »
    Terrible. They are average singers and musicians churning out bland versions of the very worst Irish ballads, sort of a cheap knock off Dubliners without the character or talent.

Yup, that'd be my take also. They remind me of a more polished version of the type of band you'd see in one of those tourist pubs in Dublin that are only there to give the tourists a taste of the 'Diddey-aye' and aren't themselves particularly notable or innovative. Having said that, those pub bands I have respect for because it's hard to do the same stuff day in and day out and be up for it all the time. They do a good job. The High Kings on the other hand come across as a 'manufactured' group with a few sons of famous names for the recognition factor but there's something missing. They should be doing it better than those pub bands. It's safe, clean, sanitised boring stuff for the American market.

Advertisement