Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motor Tax Fine - Parked at my house

Options
  • 23-12-2011 9:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hey all,

Today I received a nice Christmas present, a €60 fine for not displaying a tax disk in my car, as it was parked at my house.

I bought the car in November and am still waiting for the VRC to come from Shannon. I spoke to a Garda in the local station and he told me that he "think it has to go through the court."

Can anyone offer me any advice on this as I won't be able to get in touch with the queries line until after Christmas. As far as I was aware, parking at my house, would be fine, even if it was outside the gate for a couple hours. Even at that, I didn't think that Gardaí made a habit of driving up and down housing estates inspecting every parked car.

I'm going to appeal it at any rate, but I was wondering if anyone else has been in a similar situation or has any advice to offer!

Thanks in advance.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

If the car is on the road it needs tax.
    If it has no tax it must be on private property.
    Next time stick it in a driveway or garage it.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,419 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

AlOD wrote: »
    I bought the car in November and am still waiting for the VRC to come from Shannon.

This usually takes less than a week. It must have gone missing in the post or something. Email Shannon and tell them you didn't get it (print this out and any reply you get from them) and ask them for a pin for taxing your car online. Make sure you then tax the car from November 1st and bring all this proof with you to the Garda station

If the Garda can't / won't cancel the fine and you refuse to pay it, you could let it go to court and hope the judge will throw it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

unkel wrote: »
    This usually takes less than a week.

I've a work mate waiting since July...all he gets from Shannon is 'there's a backlog'

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 AlOD

I've a work mate waiting since July...all he gets from Shannon is 'there's a backlog'

My brother bought a car in November 2010 and only got it from Shannon in January 2011, I was waiting until then to ring up about it, given that "back log".

Thanks Unkel, I think I might do that after I ring up the information number on the fine notice provided I have no joy in having it sorted out.

Gran Hermano, what if one has no driveway or garage to keep a car, surely there are small exceptions to "on the road" such as actually being driven on the road, or moved in and out of a driveway.

"It is a legal requirement in Ireland to have motor tax if you want to drive your vehicle in a public place... Not only are you obliged by law to pay motor tax to drive your vehicle, you are also required to display evidence that you have paid (i.e., a current tax disc) on the windscreen of your vehicle. Failure to display a current tax disc on your vehicle is considered a motoring offence and will result in a €60 fixed-charge fine issued by a traffic warden or a Garda." from Citizens Information website, http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/motor_tax_and_insurance/motor_tax_rates.html

I agree that a car should have tax if it is being driven on a public road, however, the system does not allow for it to be taxed. I have kept the old log book slip placed instead of the tax disk as an indication that I am waiting for the tax, something that a Garda checkpoint was happy to let go without question while I was driving it home after buying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

My misses changed her car last month and the VLC arrived in three days.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Legally, you can't have it on the road. It's at the Garda/Warden's discretion whether they think it's worth fining you or not.

You'd hope they'd use common sense most of the time, but at the same time if they see a car parked on the road there's no way they can tell if it's just there temporarily or if it's in daily use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

h3000 wrote: »
    My misses changed her car last month and the VLC arrived in three days.

Is she a Diplomat by any chance?:D

It always took a month or longer for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Does your estate have a management company? Otherwise you have to pay the fine.

The checkpoint was almost 2 months ago and your not going to have tax till January. Your lucky it wasn't impounded.

Veles, it was outside my driveway on the kerb at the grass verge in Tallaght. It was not causing any obstruction. There are numerous cars parked in a similar way throughout the whole estate.

Del 2005, the car was bought a little over a month ago. It won't be two months until after the first week in January. It would be under the local council, not an estate management company.

-Chris- you're right, it is discretion and judgment about being in daily use, however, when you're sending it to a registered address on the same road you're stating the alleged offense was on, their common sense is hardly being used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

If you go to the motortax website and hit forgot my pin you should be able to get a pin code mailed to you if your details have been updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Veles, it was outside my driveway on the kerb at the grass verge in Tallaght. It was not causing any obstruction. There are numerous cars parked in a similar way throughout the whole estate.

Del 2005, the car was bought a little over a month ago. It won't be two months until after the first week in January. It would be under the local council, not an estate management company.

It was on a public road so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

If the ownership hasn't transferred yet then the last owner will get the fine , not you.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

jhegarty wrote: »
    If the ownership hasn't transferred yet then the last owner will get the fine , not you.

If the fine was delivered to the house (seems to have been) then the car is in the OP's name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

It's probably. Cheaper to pay 60 than to
    Tax for nov and dec so there is that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Tigger wrote: »
    It's probably. Cheaper to pay 60 than to
    Tax for nov and dec so there is that :)

How do you propose he declares it off the road in December having gotten a fine for not displaying tax during December?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

can't tell you lol

If the fine was delivered to the house (seems to have been) then the car is in the OP's name.

Yep, this is the first confirmation I have received that the car is in my name. A fine, not my log book... If I'm the only one that does sees a problem with this then I assume there's something wrong with me.

Tigger, it's actually about the same, it's €33 or €35 in the new year per month, and the fine is for the 8th of December, issued the 21st, no, it really is not cheaper, unless it was the start of November ;)

Thanks Cuddlesworth, I'll give that a look!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I bought my car on Nov. 30th change of ownership was sent off next day to Shannon and arrived on the 21st dec.

Went to tax it today and pay the Nov. arrears, the lady in the the tax office told me to get it declared off the road rather than pay a months tax for a days ownership!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

If the car is in your name, you should be able to go into the local motor tax office and tax it. Just fill out the RF100a (https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/pdf/RF100A_en.pdf) and you're sorted.

• Advertisement

Managed to get the pin emailed to me, and can log in to tax it. Can I even get it declared off the road up to December until the ownership comes through the post?

Stheno, was that through private or dealer sale?

And parked illegally. You gotta love our law enforcers, 2 offences and only 1 fine so far.
    I have kept the old log book slip placed instead of the tax disk as an indication that I am waiting for the tax
    It doesn't mater how long ago you bought the car. It was parked on a public road with no tax displayed, by rights it should have been lifted.

You will only have to pay the tax from the time you bought it, but you can't declare it off the road as it was parked, partially, on the public road.

Do you have a driveway?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,419 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Managed to get the pin emailed to me, and can log in to tax it. Can I even get it declared off the road up to December until the ownership comes through the post?

I think that tells all about your thread ;)

And about the attitude of many, perhaps even the majority of people in this country. No wonder the country is in the sh1ts :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,529 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Parked on a public road, you need to pay. You can't declare it off road as it has being caught on a public road. As for not having a drive way tough. Why should people who paid the extra cost of having a drive way subsidies those who didn't.

unkel wrote: »
    I think that tells all about your thread ;)

And about the attitude of many, perhaps even the majority of people in this country. No wonder the country is in the sh1ts :(

No, I wasn't trying to evade on motor tax, it was the first week it was insured and I started lessons in it, the first week I was going to back tax it to. My thread is looking for advice, am I liable to pay the fine if I couldn't tax it until I could back tax it to the date? You are right though, that is the attitude of many people that I have met, and why I welcome the proposal of not allowing a car to be "declared off the road" provided people can tax their car immediately after buying a car. Up until tonight, I was not aware of the retrieve my pin function on the motor tax website, had I known, I would not be in this predicament.

Del 2005, I do, an there may have been one car parked in it, that if I was to park behind I would be parking on the footpath. And I would be on the kerb if there was a car the opposite side of the road, where there has been a wing mirror clipped off and a bin lorry scratched another car at the same point, so sometimes you need to use common sense for the safety of other road users when parking in that kind of situation.
    Del2005 wrote:
    You will only have to pay the tax from the time you bought it, but you can't declare it off the road as it was parked, partially, on the public road.

So would this negate the fine or am I still forced to pay/appeal it?

Del 2005, I do, an there may have been one car parked in it, that if I was to park behind I would be parking on the footpath. And I would be on the kerb if there was a car the opposite side of the road, where there has been a wing mirror clipped off and a bin lorry scratched another car at the same point, so sometimes you need to use common sense for the safety of other road users when parking in that kind of situation.

I live in the real world. But it's still illegal to park on the path. The fact that our planners still live in cloud cuckoo land about car ownership doesn't negate the fact that you broke the law. You've no right to park outside your house unless you have an assigned driveway. And the law of parking on the footpath isn't for the safety of road users it for the safety of footpath users.
    So would this negate the fine or am I still forced to pay/appeal it?

You will have to pay the fine for non-display of tax and being on a public road with no tax. You'll only have to pay back tax for Nov and Dec.
    why I welcome the proposal of not allowing a car to be "declared off the road" provided people can tax their car immediately after buying a car

Just consider yourself lucky they haven't brought it in yet. A friend bought a fixer up bike without Tax or MoT when living in a flat in London, it cost him several grand in fines and parking garage fees till he got a house with a garage.

In the UK you need to the person selling it to tax it before you can even leave the garage/house and AFAIK the same law applies here but is never enforced.

Edit,

How did you get it home?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I bought a car on the 3rd of November, tax book arrived by the 16th of November.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,328 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Worse than that, it sounds lie it was partly on the footpath which in most paces would be a further fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,328 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

ted1 wrote: »
    Parked on a public road, you need to pay. You can't declare it off road as it has being caught on a public road. As for not having a drive way tough. Why should people who paid the extra cost of having a drive way subsidies those who didn't.

Aw, that's not fair. You shouldn't have told him that. Given the attitude he's displaying, it would have been better or him to get a further charge of making a false declaration!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

That's unfortunate, you'd think the Garda involved would display some humanity. Legally though, you're in the wrong. I

You don't need your logbook to tax a car, all you need is your insurance details and money.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Advertisement