Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motor Tax Fine - Parked at my house

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

That's unfortunate, you'd think the Garda involved would display some humanity. Legally though, you're in the wrong. I

All the Garda saw was a car parked on the road with no Motor Tax displayed, the humanity was they did let them off the illegal parking fine.

If the OP had been stopped on the road I'd hope a Garda would use their discretion, it wasn't the OPs fault after all, but there was no interaction between the person who issued the fine and the OP.

A car shouldn't be on a public road without motor tax, the OP could have parked it in a private estate or a car park but once it's on a public road it requires Motor Tax.
    You don't need your logbook to tax a car, all you need is your insurance details and money.

It helps if it's in you name so the disc can come to the correct place.

A garage may have a record of who they sold the car to, but AFAIK it's still registered to the last owner so the disc would go to them not the garage or the OP. That's if the OP bought off a garage, private sale I'd say they'd be lucky to get the disc sent on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Del2005 wrote: »
    It helps if it's in you name so the disc can come to the correct place.
    True, but if you pay the tax at your local Motor Tax office you get to walk out the door with the disc in your hand.
    Del2005 wrote: »
    A garage may have a record of who they sold the car to, but AFAIK it's still registered to the last owner so the disc would go to them not the garage or the OP. That's if the OP bought off a garage, private sale I'd say they'd be lucky to get the disc sent on.
    In this case it looks like the seller has done his bit and the OP is already the registered owner otherwise the parking fine would have went to the previous owner instead.

OP, not that it matters much because you still have to pay it, but was the fine issued by a Garda or a Traffic Warden?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I've a work mate waiting since July...all he gets from Shannon is 'there's a backlog'

I bought my car on November 29th and had the VRC on the 10th of December.

Advertisement