Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic Rifle choice

Options
  • 23-12-2011 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭

So I'm looking at getting a new (to me :) ) rifle and would like your input.
    The choices are a K98k or a Lee-Enfield No.4 .
    So points :
    Cost to feed (ie price of Ammo)
    Performance*
    Any other info.
    Please note I have fired both and am stuck on which.
    (*please threat as if they are both new from the box )

K98k or Lee-Enfield 9 votes

K98k
    0% 0 votes
    SMLE Lee-Enfield No.4
    100% 9 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Any Lee-Enfield = non-Restricted

Any 8x57 Mauser = Restricted

You choose.

tac

BTW - the No4 is a No4, not a SMLE.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭whydave

whydave wrote: »
    The choices are a K98k or a Lee-Enfield No.4
    tac foley wrote: »
    Any 8x57 Mauser = Restricted tac
    Sorry I'm open to correction but was advised that due to barrel lenght this wasn't a restricted firearm (your input is alway welcome)
    BTW - the No4 is a No4, not a SMLE.
    :( I'll stand in the corner with a cone hat on !! :)
    David
    Merry Christmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

7.92mm or 8mm as the 98k round is commonly known as = 0.311 inches, it is therefore above the 0.308 limit , above this limit is restricted, sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

I'd love a re chambered .308 Garand myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

whydave wrote: »
    The choices are a K98k or a Lee-Enfield No.4 .
    So points :
    Cost to feed (ie price of Ammo)
    Performance*
    Any other info.
    Please note I have fired both and am stuck on which.
    (*please threat as if they are both new from the box )

Tough choice, I have a K98 and had an Enfield. However, the only reason I let the Enfield go was to get an unissued one.

They are truly great firearms. You cannot go wrong with either. However, I bet 8mm Mauser is more difficult to come by in Ireland and that the 303 British will be a better supported round.

I take it that the Mauser does not have War markings, correct?

I would go with the Enfield. This comes after a long painful analysis. It is truly difficult to edge out my beloved K98.

What do you think about the Mauser's sights? I think I personally rank the Enfield just above the Mauser is my ability to shoot the peepe sights much better than the peak/valley of the Mauser.

You cannot go wrong with either.
    I'd love a re chambered .308 Garand myself
    Trying hard to practice restraint. By that I mean NOT getting this. Just cannot justify. Shouldn't be spending mortgage payments on toys at this time.

But then again... :-)

• Advertisement

DON'T buy a springfield m14/m1a ,absolute overpriced , overhyped junk, the receivers are made by casting in brazil or somewhere, the rest of the rifle is made all over the place and the final product is giving buyers endless trouble, this is fine in america where you can just pop it into a box and fedex it back for repair.
    Go onto the m14 forums and see for yourself, amazingly the chinese built polytech and norinco m14 clones are way better and one third the price, proper forged receivers , chrome lined barrels , crap stock but easily replaced. The canadians /new zealanders/europeans love them. The only ones who slag them off is the "i don't want no god damn commy-nist gun in my country" red neck americans.
    There is one for sale on here at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

rowa wrote: »
    7.92mm or 8mm as the 98k round is commonly known as = 0.311 inches, it is therefore above the 0.308 limit , above this limit is restricted, sorry.

which is funny as the bullet diameter for a 303 is .311 so it really should be restricted. i think it is laughable i can go and licence a .303 or .308 as unrestricted but if i want a .357/38s i can't because of the diameter of the bullet not the energy, it makes no scene at all.

if i had the choice i would go with the k98 beautiful gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

What about k98 in 308 ( isreali,) or Colombian in 30-06 or the Swedish mauser 6.5mm.

Traumadoc wrote: »
    What about k98 in 308 ( isreali,) or Colombian in 30-06 or the Swedish mauser 6.5mm.

A Israeli converted to .308 is fine, as is a Columbian 30-06, but the king of them all is the Swedish Mauser - ANY Swedish Mauser - in 6.5x55SE.

Like the Swiss rifles/carbines, it has never gone to war, if that matters to you, but the accuracy of a good one is the equal of a K31, IMO.

As for what is restricted and what is not - THIS is from the AGS site relating to gun ownership in the Republic - anybone who doesn't like it is welcome to argue about it with them.

Restricted Firearms and Ammunition

In the resulting Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008, Ireland more clearly defined restricted and prohibited weapons. Automatic firearms and their ammunition were declared to be prohibited firearms under the EU Directive on Control of the Acquisition and Possession of Weapons; military-style semi-automatic firearms and semi-automatic firearms which resemble automatic firearms are considered restricted.[URL="javascript:popup=window.open('/firearms/citation/quotes/1577','GunPolicyCitation','toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status=no,menubar=no,scrollbars=yes,resizable=yes,width=650,height=600'); popup.focus();"]50[/URL] Shotguns with a magazine capacity of more than three cartridges, long guns over .308 (7.62mm) calibre, rimfire rifles holding more than 10 rounds, all handguns other than air-operated firearms of 4.5mm (.177) calibre and those using .22 rimfire percussion ammunition and designed for use in connection with competitions governed by International Olympic Committee regulations as well as penetrating, explosive or incendiary ammunition, shotgun slugs and sabots were also declared restricted.[URL="javascript:popup=window.open('/firearms/citation/quotes/236','GunPolicyCitation','toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status=no,menubar=no,scrollbars=yes,resizable=yes,width=650,height=600'); popup.focus();"]5[/URL] [URL="javascript:popup=window.open('/firearms/citation/quotes/1516','GunPolicyCitation','toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status=no,menubar=no,scrollbars=yes,resizable=yes,width=650,height=600'); popup.focus();"]67[/URL]

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

Can I just ask what side of the line a mosin nagant would fall on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,986 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

kieranfitz wrote: »

It would be unrestricted, calibre doesn't exceed .308.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

A Israeli converted to .308 is fine, as is a Columbian 30-06, but the king of them all is the Swedish Mauser - ANY Swedish Mauser - in 6.5x55SE.

Like the Swiss rifles/carbines, it has never gone to war, if that matters to you, but the accuracy of a good one is the equal of a K31, IMO.

tac

I agree i have owned an israeli mauser and it felt agricultural compared to my Swedish mauser.
    I have shot a K98 , lovely piece confiscated from Timor by the Australians - Portugese with markings from Oberndorf beautiful wood- but there is a bretty big kick compared to the 6.5.

I believe the Swede did see action with the Finns against the Russians in WWII?

The Mausers that were obtained in the late '40's for the young state of Israel were indeed pretty dire examples for the most part, although the one that I did my basic Kibbutz defence training on in the 60's was actually quite a nice Danzig-built Kar98[k] - very handy when you remember that it had to be slung over your shoulder while you were driving a tractor or picking tomatoes!

And yes, you are quite right, a few hundred Swedish Mausers DID end up being used by the Finns in the Talvisota, and were marked up with the cartouche 'SA' - a round-cornered box [Suomen Armijaa]. What I meant was that it has never officially gone to war carried by the nation who made it - like Switzerland, Sweden was notionally neutral, but that's another story outside the remit of these boards.

tac

kieranfitz wrote: »

A huge number of the mosin's were built in america by remington to a russian government contract, the october revolution put an end to this contract and it was nearly the end of remmy as they had thousands of undelivered rifles, the american government stood in and bought up the surplus and was supposed to use them for training rifles. I believe a mosin with american markings is worth more then any other as they would be better made then the russian ones. Sako also made the mosin nagants and they are also supposed to be excellent.

Advertisement