Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

changes to gun licence law next year

Options
  • 23-12-2011 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

Well lads
    I was in the local garda station returning my application for my new marlin .17
    The sergeant was not there, & i know him to be fairly knowledgeable on gun laws. The gard that was there said the sergeant had told him about changes coming regarding renewal of gun licences next august. Anybody hear anything about this?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

There is no legislation in the works other than the explosives bill (AFAIK) but that'll have no bearing on firearm licenses.

Maybe he is refering to a change in the Garda procedure for collecting, processing applications so as to avoid the farce that was the rushed system in 2009.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

There are three cases up for judicial review in the High Court at the moment that will be used by the DoJ as test cases regarding licencing policy. By the time August comes round, they'll be done, so I'd imagine you'd see some changes, though as yet nobody knows what they'll be (and that's policy, not law).

However, when he says "regarding renewal of gun licences next august", the cynical part of me thinks he's not heard that the licences now run for three years from the date of issue and is thinking of the changes that came in back in '06 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

You had me heart goin ninety there for a minute, because if all goes according to plan I'll be putting it two applications next year

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Remmie 223

The gard said: (now he did say that he was not sure) but what he thought, was that all licences had to be renewed next august. With this i produced my 223 licence that is not up for renewal until 2013 & I said sure that cant be right, he agreed. He said the old way was much better than this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

hopefully any changes will be for the better, unlike they have been of late

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

As Sparks said;
    Sparks wrote: »
    ............... the licences now run for three years from the date of issue ............
    So with that in mind all those, myself included, that got their licenses in October 2009 will have to have their re-applications (because they are not actually renewals) in and done 3 months before the expiry of their current licenses. So i'll have to submit my applciations no later than the end of July 2012.

Then so on and so forth with different people submitting theirs at different times to spread out the applciations. In effect you will have re-applications non stop as one group finishes, another starts.

cannot see them trying to change the process again, and if he is refering to all licenses being re-applied for at the same time irrespective of the date of issue then he is wrong. So if your two licenses were issued in Sept. 2010 and not due for "renewal" until Sept 2013, but one of your licenses was issued in Oct. 2009 and is up for renewal in Oct. 2012 you will not have to renew all licenses in Oct. 2012.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

4gun wrote: »
    hopefully any changes will be for the better, unlike they have been of late
    Somehow I'm not optimistic in this regard. Change born of conflict in the courts has very rarely worked to our favour, and on the few occasions it has, it's been overruled.

Mind you, I suspect that if the source of this news had to be shown a modern licence to know that they're not all renewed on August 1 anymore, then that news might not really be all that accurate...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Dont worry. this time next year you'll be applying to the German government for a licence.!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Don't put it past a guard to wind you up because they don't like firearms being in civilian hands, we've all suffered this rubbish because a guard thinks the law should be whatever he says it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I never worry about these things any more. The amount of rumours that float around can be crazy at times. Any one remember how many times .223's were getting called in? :D

Worry about it when ya see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Remmie 223

rowa wrote: »
    Don't put it past a guard to wind you up because they don't like firearms being in civilian hands, we've all suffered this rubbish because a guard thinks the law should be whatever he says it is.
    Ah in fairness to him he was not trying to be difficult in any way. He rang me this evening to tell me it was being processed straight away. He has been very helpful in the past, as have all the garda in the station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

washman3 wrote: »
    Dont worry. this time next year you'll be applying to the German government for a licence.!! ;)

Its a pity we aren't , if we were it would be a professional and impartial process with the granting officer following the laws of the land instead of fighting them, do you think the german government would put up with the likes of the centrefire pistol court appeals ? I seriously doubt it, but then i doubt the german people would vote for the likes of dermot ahern and co in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Its a pity we aren't , if we were it would be a professional and impartial process with the granting officer following the laws of the land instead of fighting them, do you think the german government would put up with the likes of the centrefire pistol court appeals ? I seriously doubt it, but then i doubt the german people would vote for the likes of dermot ahern and co in the first place.

well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Not to mind you would be applying for it in the county council offices,not the Gardai.The German police have nothing to do with liscensing of firearms.Bar maybe issuing you a permit for concealed carry because of your job putting you in am extremly dangerous position.
    You wouldnt have this farscical situation with alarms or whatever.You get a gun safe in a certain category for the amount of guns you have.
    Airguns off ticket,buy them over the counter.

Unfortunatly,they are voting Red/Green again:(!As if they didnt learn anything under Gert Schroder!!![A slimy reptile cross bred between Clinton,Blair and all the morals of Bertie Ahern left loose in a banks cash vault!:(]
    So as usual they are trying to cash in on any tragedy with frearms,even in other countries, like Norway this year.:mad:

Only thing on the negative side,a biatch of a hunting liscense test,theory,written ,oral,a hideousely expensive lifestyle of 90% work on your let and 10% enjoyment of hunting it.:(
    However you can now do a grind school hunting liscense within 30 days.Used to be three years.:eek:

Target shooting is in the same category.Work up to whatever handgun or rifle you want by the clubs say so.Before you can sit the exam.
    You do need "good reason" fo more than three handguns of a particular disipline.BUT thats not counting different calibres.IOW you have a 9mm and you want a .22 you can have a conversion kit,and another9mm as well that has a 40 cal conversion,and still have two handguns.
    Ditto for target rifles,Semi autos are now for 6years running the top sellers in gun types over there.

Reloading,no problem.Do a test wich involves 90% theory on law safe storage and transport and 10% revelance to reloading

Apart from that you have clearly laid [most of the time ] firearm laws on whats what with no ambiguity.

About as likely to happen here as seeing the Bundeswehr goose stepping down past the GPO in O Connell st,[Although the Germans do a very good parade!:p]and the German flag over the Dail in Kildare st in Easter 2016.:pac:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭FOXHUNTER1

I've said it before "Buy Earmuffs" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Remmie 223 wrote: »
    The gard said: (now he did say that he was not sure) but what he thought, was that all licences had to be renewed next august. With this i produced my 223 licence that is not up for renewal until 2013 & I said sure that cant be right, he agreed. He said the old way was much better than this

I used to have a firearms licence years and often thought about getting a new gun and licence , but the process nowadays seems very long and protracted...maybe its just the way..I was looking at it.
    I do appreciate the need for gun safes and proper regulation , but years ago I remember my own local Gardai being very rigorous ,not in an awkward way ,with why I wanted a gun,where I was going to shoot ,who's land it was.
    When I moved from address to address over the years as I renewed the licence ,often the local Gardai asked the usual questions.
    If I remember correctly each station had a gun garda who looked after applications.
    I still get the urge to look about getting a new gun from time to time....

Happy shooting guys..

Advertisement