Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Headlights gone

Options
  • 23-12-2011 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    Anyone out there know, if there is a motor factors open in portlaoise tomorrow Bradshaws or even Halfords (do they do hella bulbs), Christmas Eve.Went to take the car out tonight and both headlights are blown:eek:. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Adelante wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    Anyone out there know, if there is a motor factors open in portlaoise tomorrow Bradshaws or even Halfords (do they do hella bulbs), Christmas Eve.Went to take the car out tonight and both headlights are blown:eek:. Thanks

Very strange for both headlights to blow (I think anyway). You might need to check the fuse for the headlights. Have you your manual and the visual map to fuse positions?

I would say that you'll get someone open. Also try the Tyre centres. Fitzpatrick's Tyres, you can see from another thread that I was very impressed with them.

What kind of car have you? Some blow bulbs more than others. e.g. Ford Focus IIRC. Whereas my 11 year old Xantia has a glovebox full of bulbs but they NEVER blow !?

Not teaching you how to suck eggs but always ensure you switch off all electrics before you switch off the engine and always switch on lights while stationary. Again, could be a bag of BS but I think it has something to do with surges...

Best of luck and HappY Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Adelante

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Adelante wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Very strange for both headlights to blow (I think anyway). You might need to check the fuse for the headlights. Have you your manual and the visual map to fuse positions?

I would say that you'll get someone open. Also try the Tyre centres. Fitzpatrick's Tyres, you can see from another thread that I was very impressed with them.

What kind of car have you? Some blow bulbs more than others. e.g. Ford Focus IIRC. Whereas my 11 year old Xantia has a glovebox full of bulbs but they NEVER blow !?

Not teaching you how to suck eggs but always ensure you switch off all electrics before you switch off the engine and always switch on lights while stationary. Again, could be a bag of BS but I think it has something to do with surges...

Best of luck and HappY Christmas.
    Hi An Ri Nua,
    Thanks for the great advice,so I went to Fitzpatricks but they were closed, went upto Bradshaws changed the bulbs nothing,changed the fuse nothing, so I figured it's the wiring to the bulbs something shorted somewhere along the way. So I resigned myself to the fact that I would have to make till the new year till I get to the mechanic. anyway long story short went to go out this afternoon and out of habit of turning my lights on, low and behold there where back.... So I don't know what to do by the way it's a 97 Ibiza and its not the first time it lights have gone out something similar happens like this every other year with her but it's the fact it happened the day b4 Xmas is the awkwardness of it all , anyway thanks again and merry Xmas to you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Happy Christmas to you too :) Glad it worked out sortof.....

I see from a quick scan of the web that misting headlamps is a flaw on Ibizas. It could be causing bad connections? I dunno. At any rate, some WD-40 or other sort of water expeller would be a good idea I think. To improve connections also.

I would defo post a query on www.carsurvey.org or www.honetjohn.co.uk or also here on Motoring on Boards !

Advertisement