Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please tell me i am not the only one?

Options
  • 23-12-2011 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

I am not a great long distance driver i dont like driving outside town, on my first attempt i ended up at the toll bridge coming back home from Cork, today i drive to Conmel with the directions on how to avoid the toll bridge and again i ended up there, i am hoping there is others out there so i wont feel so bad.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

No, I've seen so many people reverse back up the turn off the N24 to the toll, that in the interests of safety I have stopped using it.

Up until 2 weeks ago the sign on the bridge advising the toll as a way of avoiding the quay due to roadworks was a farce. 5km round trip to avoid no delay.

I def wasn't taught where Waterford North and South were in school?

The problem is the signage and you have to ignore the bloody portable signs, they all lie. I've heard so many complaints from tourists that have been sent way off course.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

ah jeepers your FAR from being alone especially since the by pass opened and sign posting leaving a lot to be desired.

Coming back from Cork I ended up at the new bridge as well to my horror...

Unless you travel some routes regularly it can be a bit of a nightmare.

trust me you are not alone and I'm 93 :D
    well wont be long now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

I live very near the new bridge. The day the toll opened, my sister was driving home from town. All she had to do was drive straight through one of the new roundabouts home, and ended up going through the toll, turning around and going back through it, costing her 3.80!

I still slag her about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

do ye all drive around with your eye,s closed or what like lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

my biggest issue with the new road and bridge is that when you are on the stretch of the N25 before the Kilmeaden roundabout there is signage which directs you to everywhere bar bloody dublin, kk and rosslare, sureley the 3 most important national routes for that turn off!! so they have put a big trailer signpost which has been there for the past 2 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,462 ✭✭✭✭looksee

my biggest issue with the new road and bridge is that when you are on the stretch of the N25 before the Kilmeaden roundabout there is signage which directs you to everywhere bar bloody dublin, kk and rosslare, sureley the 3 most important national routes for that turn off!! so they have put a big trailer signpost which has been there for the past 2 years

Totally agree with this. Also tells you to continue right into town to get to Tramore via the ring road, whereas it is much shorter (or I think it is, it seems shorter) to go via Butlerstown and the back road to Tramore.

There also needs to be a Kilkenny sign at the junction after the toll, if you think about it it is obvious that you go towards Dublin, but when you are not used to the junctions it is easy to miss it.

Just think what tourists make of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭billythepig

do ye all drive around with your eye,s closed or what like lol

i was just about to ask the same question,
    the new motorway and bridge layout is so simple to use and is the best thing that ever happened to waterford.

Agreed the new set up is great, and once you have done it (and got it right) there is no problem, but when you are still figuring it out its a bit confusing.

There is one roundabout - the double one leading to the ring road - that I seem to get in the wrong lane every time. Considering there are only two lanes this is a bit stupid on my part, but I don't usually make a mess of roundabouts so why does this one cause me problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭leduke

looksee wrote: »
    Agreed the new set up is great, and once you have done it (and got it right) there is no problem, but when you are still figuring it out its a bit confusing.

There is one roundabout - the double one leading to the ring road - that I seem to get in the wrong lane every time. Considering there are only two lanes this is a bit stupid on my part, but I don't usually make a mess of roundabouts so why does this one cause me problems?
    not clear signage on that part of the road ... inside lane should be marked cork, outside lane all other routes. alot of people get it wrong, surprising there's not many accidents there.

• Advertisement

To me, this is where the problem is:
    http://g.co/maps/v3vuv

I saw another guy in an MPV hit the breaks and reverse back up the slip road to the tool, in the rain yesterday evening. Madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Its like peeing down a pump, hate to see some of you handling the peripheruique at Four thirty on a Friday evening!

True, we must be going European, less signage, just do what feels right to you.

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Its like peeing down a pump, hate to see some of you handling the peripheruique at Four thirty on a Friday evening!

Ah now, to be sure, I wouldn't be able for that kind of thing, and on the wrong side of the road and all. Though I do be on the wrong side of the road most of the time anyway, so maybe there wouldn't be a difference.

looksee wrote: »
    Totally agree with this. Also tells you to continue right into town to get to Tramore via the ring road, whereas it is much shorter (or I think it is, it seems shorter) to go via Butlerstown and the back road to Tramore.

definitly the shorter distance is to go via Kilmeaden and via the old tramore road, and its a good road which has been constantly upgraded and realligned in recent years so it can cope with the traffic

newroadsignagepoor.png

this bothers me too when you are coming off the bridge, you are swamped with unnecessary signage! 1 that welcomes you to KK, 1 that welcomes you 1 Waterford city, one welcoming you to historic town and one that tells you to turn off for Dublin or Limerick..... and this is all on a stretch of about 200 meters with an impending turn off :) I think this is dangerous personally, people need to have their wits about them here....but where is the sign for KK, Clonmel, Rosslare, Wexford, the N25/E30 does finish in Rosslare and it is a very important regional route so there should be signage for Rosslare there.

I know people want less clutter/signage, but there is one simple way of reducing/narrowing/slimming signage and thats by using the term "GACH TREO all other routes".... so for this example I would have one big sign with Dublin and all other routes pointing to the left turn off, and Rosslare,Wexford on the continuing route

People coming from the bridge going to Clonmel, KK, Limerick would relise that they are not going to Wexford or Dublin therefore they fall into the "all other routes" category and would follow the turn off.

As for the cluttering signs welcoming you to KK and waterford, thats just petty politics, if the KK and Waterford crowd cooperated and marketed themselves appropriately they would have 1 big colourful sign there welcoming you to the South East of Ireland comprising Waterford, KK, Wex like the one that greets you in waterford airport. But no they prefer to be childish about it and put two boring/ordinary/plain/uninspiring signs there

This would leave 2 signs in this area, and would appear better in my opinion.

Also the signage for Ross, Dublin, All other routes should Hang over the road in like the motorway signs. I say this because I think the lamp poles impede the sign

A guy from KK cc said off the record that there was war over signage. KK and Wateford could agree on what is needed where and who is to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

Jesus Wept!! People in other countries move about all the time from place to place. (usa being a good example of this).
    Ye cant even figure out how to drive on the roads where ye are born and bred!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    A guy from KK cc said off the record that there was war over signage. KK and Wateford could agree on what is needed where and who is to pay for it.

this is bullsh!t! National Roads Authority decide on signage and they also cover the cost of it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭creambun

Jesus Wept!! People in other countries move about all the time from place to place. (usa being a good example of this).

I have no problem holding my hands up and saying i am not the best at driving but its a new road and i am not naturaly gifted at directions (got lost going to ardkeen once) and by the looks of it i am not the only one.

well Irish people are not "people in other countries" and no offence to anyone but I know well that for some folks in the city that if they go out past the whitfield clinic or past newrath they may be driving off the edge of a cliff..... and this is the same for other people in their respective towns and environs. This is why signage is important

• Advertisement

Ì will make sure I look into a new route. But this is affecting tourisim. That should be the main concern, how many people avoided the Kinsale roundabout when it was being built?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,938 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Find the best way to avoid toll is to follow the waterford crystal signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭creambun

spookwoman wrote: »
    Find the best way to avoid toll is to follow the waterford crystal signs.
    Thank you will try that next time if i ever venture outside town again.

Advertisement