Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung TV - won't switch on

Options
  • 23-12-2011 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

Has anyone had an an issue with a Samsung LCD TV which doesn't switch on? I've looked into it online and it seems that there is a known issue with capacitors which appear to burn out.

I bought the TV in Harvey Norman a couple of months ago and it should be under warranty.

Anyone experienced the same issue?...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,999 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

El Camino wrote: »
    Has anyone had an an issue with a Samsung LCD TV which doesn't switch on? I've looked into it online and it seems that there is a known issue with capacitors which appear to burn out.

I bought the TV in Harvey Norman a couple of months ago and it should be under warranty.

Have you contacted Harvey Norman? Can't really offer any other advice until I know what solution Harvey has offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Dig out your receipt (or equivalent proof of purchase) and head back to Harvey Norman. You don't even need the warranty as your standard consumer rights under Irish law protect you.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭cock robin

Yup I sure have had issues with their tvs. I have 3 of them and at best they last a couple of years. The largest one I have is a 52inch plasma and it went tits up just after 2 years and a smaller syncmaster that I use as pc monitor has gone the same way. A previous Smasung LCD failed also. They all had different issues, plasma (power board) LCD (Tcon Board) smaller LCD (blown capacitors) in all cases I had to pay for repairs as Samsung will not admit it is a fault. TBH I will never again purchase anything from Samsung and in future I will only buy cheaper brands of TV as the more money you spend the more they cost to repair.
    You should return the TV to the retailer and have them repair it although if its out of warranty expect a bill. My most expensive repair was €184 for the 52 inch and €112 for the LCD, I repaired the Syncmaster myself with parts bought online for $50 or about €30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

It doesn't really matter what the source of the problem is in your case, as the TV is only a few months old. Bring it back to get it repaired by them. If you no longer have a proof of purchase then you could have trouble. First step is to get back on the Harvey Norman though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

cock robin wrote: »
    Yup I sure have had issues with their tvs. I have 3 of them and at best they last a couple of years. The largest one I have is a 52inch plasma and it went tits up just after 2 years and a smaller syncmaster that I use as pc monitor has gone the same way. A previous Smasung LCD failed also. They all had different issues, plasma (power board) LCD (Tcon Board) smaller LCD (blown capacitors) in all cases I had to pay for repairs as Samsung will not admit it is a fault. TBH I will never again purchase anything from Samsung and in future I will only buy cheaper brands of TV as the more money you spend the more they cost to repair.
    You should return the TV to the retailer and have them repair it although if its out of warranty expect a bill. My most expensive repair was €184 for the 52 inch and €112 for the LCD, I repaired the Syncmaster myself with parts bought online for $50 or about €30.

You should have invoked your statutory rights as a consumer before spending all that money repairing something that should have been sorted by the retailer. Warranties are an add-on to your rights and you just have to demonstrate a fault exists, it doesn't matter if Samsung don't admit to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

European law has changed regards this.

I'm currently getting a Samsung 40 inch repaired (broken screen) three years out of warranty. You have six years in which to make a claim and a minimum of two regardless of any warranty.

If you google you'll find a process and templates for letters. You get a TV serviceman to look over the TV and give a written report (costs about €40) that the damage was due to component failure and not due to mistreatment. Then you tell them they have to repair it or you go to small claims court on Sales of Goods act, ie, in my case, I should reasonably expect the screen to last longer than three years. It won't get to court. They'll either repair or make a cash offer.

Advertisement