Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I change my username

Options
  • 24-12-2011 12:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hi there

I understand I can change my username by subscribing but will my new uswename be linked to my current one? I dont want them linked as the main reason I want a username chanfe os because I would like my posts to be anonymous ie I dont want all my friends, family, work colleagues etc being able to personally identify me.

I never considered this when I first joined and regrettably used my real name.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

The username on the account changes, not the UID, so it's the same account.

If you want anonymous posts you use the anon posting system in the forums that support it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 karenkearns007

Spear wrote: »
    The username on the account changes, not the UID, so it's the same account.

If you want anonymous posts you use the anon posting system in the forums that support it.

Thanks for prompt reply. Not sure what UID is. Essentially I want to be anonymous everywhere on boards and be known only by my new username - I don't want to be personably identified by my real name ie Karen Kearns. I'm not sure I'm explaining it properly. For example my name on adverts is Monicker and I'm very happy tha nobody knows that Monicker is actually Karen Kearns - can I have the same anonymity on boards or am I forever going to be traced an linked back publicly to my real name?

Can I close my account. Then start up a new account win a new name so that they aren't linked publicly on the forum. In other words just stop using karenkearns007, clise that account (i unserstand my posts remain public and thats no problem) and then associate a new username with my ema address and start afresh. If not can I create a new email address and a new username?

It's not for any reasons other than not wanting to be identified y my real name - I want to use an alias like everybody else. Unfortunately when I joined boards.ie and created my username I never considered tr privacy issue.

Thanks
    Karen

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Then you'll need to close this account and open a new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 karenkearns007

Ok thanks I'll do that thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement