Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway ~ Moving To And Advice Required!

Options
  • 24-12-2011 1:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭

Hi Good People of Galway,

I'm hoping that I might receive some advice please.
    After awhile looking I'm starting a new job in January which necessitates relocating to Galway.

The job will be based in Parkmore Business Park West.
    I'll need to sort myself out with accommodation and I'm hoping to park the car up for the week and hitting the bicycle whenever the weather allows. I'd sooner risk life & limb rather than face the Galway's traffic I'm afraid.

Therefore I'm thinking of finding somewhere between Parkmore and the City.
    Sort of thinking of around Lough Alalia / College Rd., Monivea areas as it'll allow a reasonable spin to the Business Park as well as been a handy spin into the City. Hows this sound?
    Also would there be any areas I would probably be best not bothering with?

Looking at 1 bed apartments with parking and in reasonable condition.
    Looking at Daft.ie it seems that we're looking at around €500 ~ €600 per month.
    Does this sound accurate or reflect real rental costs in the city?

Thanks folks for any advice offered and Merry Christmas to you all out there!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

your plan sounds pretty good, not a bad place to base yourself between work and town.

the prices on daft are possibly up for debate on an individual basis with landlords, at the same time i think alot think that places can be got for a song but increasing rates on owning properties will mean there will be a sticking point for landlords on price.

best of luck with your move.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭barbs84

doughiska would be a good location, u could cycle to work and there are frequent buses in to and out of town so it wld save the hassel of driving in the city and it has all u need supermarkets, bar, hotel, etc and rent there would be reasonable

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭dan hibiki

roscam is a lovely spot...dunno about a one bed place there though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Cecil Mor

Thanks for the help Guys, it is really appreciated.

Pretty much reassures me that I'm thinking along the right lines, but gives me a better idea of the areas.
    Over the years its usually been for reasons of divilment or for work related reasons that I've spent time in Galway.
    Therefore I never had experience of many areas outside of the city center or the business parks.

Thanks again and I hope ye are all having a great Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

want advice on moving to galway?

DON'T

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 206 ✭✭Creachadóir

Mullán Mór (Tuam Rd) is popular for work in Parkmore too and it's quiet. It's nearer to the city than some of the other suggestions (so cheaper for taxis). There's v little traffic between there and Parkmore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Cecil Mor

Thanks for that Creachadoir, there's a couple of places near there which I hope to have a look at next week.

And Thanks for that too Paky, real helpful!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

paky wrote: »
    want advice on moving to galway?

DON'T

If someone already has a job, then TBH I can't see any reason for this ... wanna tell us, paky?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Cecil Mor wrote: »
    Hi Good People of Galway,

I'm hoping that I might receive some advice please.
    After awhile looking I'm starting a new job in January which necessitates relocating to Galway.

The job will be based in Parkmore Business Park West.
    I'll need to sort myself out with accommodation and I'm hoping to park the car up for the week and hitting the bicycle whenever the weather allows. I'd sooner risk life & limb rather than face the Galway's traffic I'm afraid.

Therefore I'm thinking of finding somewhere between Parkmore and the City.
    Sort of thinking of around Lough Alalia / College Rd., Monivea areas as it'll allow a reasonable spin to the Business Park as well as been a handy spin into the City. Hows this sound?
    Also would there be any areas I would probably be best not bothering with?

Looking at 1 bed apartments with parking and in reasonable condition.
    Looking at Daft.ie it seems that we're looking at around €500 ~ €600 per month.
    Does this sound accurate or reflect real rental costs in the city?

Thanks folks for any advice offered and Merry Christmas to you all out there!

I wrote a bit of a review of the places I've lived in the city. For your needs I'd try Lough Atalia. The Mulryan apartments are affordable but unfortunately most others are not!

Beware the 1 bed apartments in the city. There are very few good 1 bed apartments around. There's a lot of places converted in the likes of Riverside, they aren't too great.

http://thecityfathers.wordpress.com/2011/12/14/looking-for-accomodation-in-galway/

• Advertisement
Advertisement