Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Moments From Games That Stick In Your Mind

Options
  • 24-12-2011 3:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭

There's a few for me:
    • The dog jumping through the window in Resident Evil

• In Metal Gear Solid where the game knew you were cheating by using turbo buttons or when Physco Mantis couldn't read your mind if you had the controller and memory card in slot 2

• The room with the giant mirror in Silent Hill 3

• Getting onto the scooter at the start of GTA Vice City and Billie Jean is playing on the radio

• Playing Shenmue on the Dreamcast for the first time. The best game graphically that I had ever seen at the point on time

I could list loads more but I'll leave it there for now :pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Oh a list thread! :pac:

Aeris (ith) dying. (snif).

The zombie fmv in Res Evil (the first one, scared the bejebus out of me).

Sniper Wolf death in MGS.

Having to tap 1+2 and up+down while Mortal Kombat 1 loaded on the Game Gear to unlock the blood (no, really).

The theme music for Elecmans level for Mega Man on the original GameBoy. (And I've probably memorized the sequence of the disappearing platforms to this day!).

The plane, submarine levels in Super Mario 1 for the GameBoy.

Being able to win matches by 64 - 0 by that "shooting just outside the box" trick in FIFA 94 (or 96.....or 98).............Game Gear.

Each boss theme music from Solar Striker (GameBoy). Amazing shooter and great sounds for the time!

All I can think of that really stick out in my mind............so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,181 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Finding out that you could ride hookers in GTA3.

Anyone remember those random plane crashes in GTA: San Andreas? You could be driving along and a plane would just smash into the ground in front of you. T'was weird.

Putting a nun on the train tracks in Red Dead Redemption.

Breaking a controller during the motorcycle segment in MGS4. I was going for the Big Boss emblem and that segment drove me over the edge.

Getting a fancy car in GTA (or any open world game with vehicles really...) and then being careful not to crash it straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Being warped into a jetski mission for hitting into a specific roadsign during a motorbike level in Crash Bandicoot 3.

Goddamn awesome game.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,181 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Being warped into a jetski mission for hitting into a specific roadsign during a motorbike level in Crash Bandicoot 3.

Goddamn awesome game.

I remember that! Crash 3 was a great game.

Ah, that hit the nostalgia spot.

While Dead Space 2 was a largely disappointing game, compared to its predecessor, this moment stuck out for me:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

^ The bit in Dead Space 2 where you plummet back into the atmoshpere after that big radar thingy explodes was fantastic. and the raptor necro things, those were awesome the first time you met them.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

guys, does dead space 2 works out nicely with pc controls? i tried playing RE5 on PC and it was then sticking needles under your nails...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

A couple off the top of my head...

Super Mario World: First time I found a Star Road.
    Metal Gear Solid: Sniper Wolf's death.
    Prince Of Persia: The Two Thrones: The slo-mo part of the final cutscene.
    Darksiders: The last bit of the final cutscene.
    Super Metroid:The formerly-baby Metroid saving me at the mid point of the Mother Brain fight.
    Freespace: Two moments here. The first time a cruiser warped in beside me and the destruction of the Lucifier in the subspace corridor.
    Freepsace 2: The destruction of the SJ Sathanas and later, the GTVA Colossus. :(
    Clive Barker's Undying: Looking at the Covenant family portrait using the Scrye ability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Pushing that steel wheelbarrow into the big beam in half life 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭joshrogan

Locking the butler in the freezer in Lara Croft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭BeefyS

using the ion cannon for the first time in command and conquer.
    fighting the cyberdemon in doom
    defeating medusa in kid icarus on the nes (first on my road to do it!)
    storming the legion island in fallout new vegas. this is an optional thing to do but i loaded up with all my heavy stuff and i felt like arnie in the police station in terminator 1. awesome fun
    fighting the omega pirate in metroid prime
    finishing viewtiful joe (f**k you fire leo!)
    would you kindly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

The return to Kharak in Homeworld put a lump in my throat, I am not ashamed to say. It was shockingly poignant, and I really wasn't expecting that from a rts.

For obvious reasons, the first time I discovered the jelly suspension power up in Carmageddon makes me giggle even today.

The first time I saw a silt-strider in Morrowind was awe-inspiring. The sheer otherworldliness of the whole game was just a joy to behold, and a lot of those sights stick with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭Daith

Super Mario World: Diving under the bridge exit to get to the secret exit

Baldur's Gate 2: The trip through the underdark. The Child of Bhaal has murdered you!

Thief 2: Life of the Party, crossing the city using the Thieves Highway.

Secret of Mana: The music.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭dan hibiki

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBxSMnYCPjw&feature=related

the poo fight!!!!

..and i just found this... forgot how cool this game was. hard to believe it was on n64!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCWJ6SyPa4M&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Trying the jump across the stones in 'The Last Ninja'. Commodore 64 had the most unresponsive controls ever.

The levels in Terminator 2 where you had to rearrange the Terminator's face, and the one where you were on the bike being chased by the truck.

Having to search through pages of codes every time I loaded up the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Up, Down, Left , Right, A+Start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Oh, oh, oh, and the scene in Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth where you rent the room in the motel in Innsmouth and
    you're woken up by the owner hacking through the door with an axe and you have to dash from room to room locking and blocking the doors until you can climb out a window and flee.

Freaking terrifying, it was. Shame the middle of the game was a shockingly awful FPS, everything else about it was horror gold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Up, Down, Left , Right, A+Start

ABBABAABAABAA Turrican on the GameBoy. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

ABACABB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

The first time I encountered a Pyramid Head in Silent Hill 2 was a pretty scary moment!

The Metal Gear Rex vs Metal Gear Ray fight in MGS 4 was pretty epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

THAT jump in shinobi, horrific mirror transformation scene in silent hill, emerging into the alternate world in link to the past, first transformation into hyper sonic, red xiii looking out over the ruins of midgar, casting knights of the round, taking control of highwind, solving the goat puzzle in broken sword, facing off against 'the end' in snake eater (favourite boss battle still), discovering halo's true function (and also a brilliant moment in halo three where you can look up and see the outline of our galaxy after entering the portal).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

The lads in saints row 3 singing along to sublime is brilliant.

Outrun on c64, if you went off the road your lack would give out to you.

Heading for edge of cliff on a horse in red dead redemption and jumping off at the last second then pissing yourself laughing at the horse running off the cliff.

LA noire. Getting kicked out of the interview room because your a trusting fella and believe everything the suspect says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭BeefyS

finding that sweet spot against medusa in kid icarus and letting rip. the first time the game is being fair to you!
    whens the new one out ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

A HIND D?! COLONEL, WHAT'S A RUSSIAN GUNSHIP DOING HERE

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

One of the greatest of all times would be the whole metal gear solid.

Remember when they capture you and you need to use ketchup bottle to fake your death in cell! When I was young lad, such stuff in video ges was like: omfg **** that's awesome!!!!

From recent ones: bioshock. Rapture was surprising me every single time. In a way I am so exited about third one be in sky, but in the way I am sad I will leave rapture behind :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Visiting the Honey Bee Inn in Wall Market in FF7 is one random moment that standsa out for me just because the stuff that happens in there seemed to make no sense whatsover.

the bit in Condemened where your investigating a corpse in a crime scene and it suddenly looks up and lunges at you. I actualy nearly fell over when that happened.

The first time playing vice city tearing around in a jeep with billie jean playing is a moment that always stuck with me.

Walking out of the start sewer in Oblivion. First time i played an TES game and couldnt believe the freedom i had.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,633 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

BeefyS wrote: »
    would you kindly?
    Oooh, good one. That was amazing.

The dogs in resi and discovering there was a dark world in link to the past are great ones too.

Driving down the coast during a rain storm in vice city is one for me.

Gusty garden galaxy.

The title music in hitman silent assassin.

That bit in metal gear solid where you look at the cd case. That was outstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

The amazing feeling of freedom when i first played Elite 2: Frontier. It felt like you could go anywhere and do anything in the universe.

The first time i played wipeout and ridge racer on the ps1 because up until then, most games i played were in 2d. That jump from 2d to 3d gaming was massive and never equalled since.

First time playing gta3 blew me away.

Also the first time i played online gaming stood out. Battlefield 1942 on the pc. Used to play it online for hours on end on barely broadband internet.

Good memories

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭swiftblade

Time Crisis on the PS2. Me and my firend would have sniper battles. Looking at the other person screen bacame a problem, so we tape a piece of cardboard across the television to seperate the screens. Ahh simpler times... :(

Advertisement