Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A Question Relating to Dogs and Islam

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

SdoowSirhc wrote: »
    Exactly :P And well put! I really don't see why dead one couldn't reply to us or explain the last video he gave us that completely contradicted his own argument :confused:
    i just noticed that it looks like dead one has been banned, although I can't see from his posts exactly what got him a banning, although 'take your pick' was the first thing that sprung to mind. i am curious though exactly what did it in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭SdoowSirhc

vibe666 wrote: »
    i just noticed that it looks like dead one has been banned, although I can't see from his posts exactly what got him a banning, although 'take your pick' was the first thing that sprung to mind. i am curious though exactly what did it in the end.
    Hmmm... strange :P If you see why don't forget to share :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Was reading this and thought of this thread
    http://www.torontosun.com/2012/07/15/pearson-airport-rules-can-take-the-bark-out-of-your-trip-home
    TORONTO - Last Monday morning at 1:30 a.m. I came out of Pearson Airport with my dachsie Kishka in tow looking for a limo to drive us home.
    Kishka, as is the requirement whenever I fly to and from my home in Florida, was comfortably zipped up in his soft kennel.
    He was half-asleep at that hour — and so hidden away — that the first driver in line headed towards me to start loading my luggage.
    It was when he grabbed Kishka’s kennel and realized a dog was in there that he turned around quickly and waved me away.
    The second driver, also a visible minority, said “No” the moment I approached him.
    The second driver — who works for McIntosh Limousine — refused to give me a reason for refusing me or his name.
    Thankfully, a third driver eventually pulled up. He had no issue transporting Kishka, who promptly fell asleep in his kennel the moment we hit the highway.

What I realized is that this occurs quite often not only at the airport but in Toronto proper and is happening due to religious reasons — that is, because dogs are considered unclean in certain religions.

In fact, Gail Beck-Souter, general manager of Beck Taxi that operates about 900 cars in Toronto, confirms that if certain Muslims take a dog in their vehicle, they are required to go home and shower afterwards (before they pray).

But the driver would have to take Kishka if he was a service dog — that’s the “law,” she said.
    She denied Muslim drivers in their fleet would ever turn down dogs for religious reasons contending it has more to do with “them being scared” of dogs.
    Asked how she felt about a woman being denied a ride at 1:30 a.m., Ruddy said she “hates the idea” but they have to “abide by the GTAA rules” — they “don’t have a choice.”

I had to laugh when I read the description of their drivers on the McIntosh website, most particularly this gem: “Our drivers have taken sensitivity training...”
    Guess that sensitivity training didn’t include the part about not leaving a woman stranded at 1:30 a.m.

The committee also engaged in “considerable discussion” at that time around a request for special trailers to be set up in the winter months for drivers who have to pray five times a day.
    Souter tells me while they “don’t like it” they do give their drivers the option of not taking a dog and sometimes it is “difficult” to find a car that will take dogs.

“Some feel unclean (with dogs),” she said, adding that a “small percentage” will also not pick people up at the liquor store.
    She says some will use allergies as an excuse when their concern is really religious.

Not only posters like dead_one will make Westerns think that Muslims have major issues, incidents like this will do that too, and it doesn't seem they are isolated but a standard approach by Muslim taxi drivers.
    Sorry if this sounds offensive but when people with dogs are dismissed by Muslim workers and a columnist for a big paper is writing about it this will not win Muslims any friends.
    This wasn't a big dog that'll dirty the car up with mud or whatnot. It's a small lapdog inside a carry kennel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭irishconvert

biko wrote: »
    http://www.torontosun.com/2012/07/15/pearson-airport-rules-can-take-the-bark-out-of-your-trip-home

Not only posters like dead_one will make Westerns think that Muslims have major issues, incidents like this will do that too, and it doesn't seem they are isolated but a standard approach by Muslim taxi drivers.
    Sorry if this sounds offensive but when people with dogs are dismissed by Muslim workers and a columnist for a big paper is writing about it this will not win Muslims any friends.
    This wasn't a big dog that'll dirty the car up with mud or whatnot. It's a small lapdog inside a carry kennel.

The problem is people are all too happy to pay attention and give most limelight to posters such as dead_one, and the foolish taxi drivers at Toronto Airport while the voice of the ordinary normal everyday Muslims is ignored. Why didn't the Toronto newspaper go to an authoritive mainstream Muslim scholar and find out if refusing dogs in the taxi was a valid Islamic rule? I'll tell you why, because the truth does not make good or interesting news.

BTW, I'm sure many Irish taxi drivers and other business owners have a problem with dogs. I've even seen a Dublin Bus driver refuse a dog. And so many shops have no dogs signs in their windows. If I was a taxi driver I would be concerned the dog may urinate or do worse in my cab. If I had a bad experience previously I would definitely be refusing the fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭SdoowSirhc

In my opinion I think that that's okay really, not at all like what dead_one was at. He was telling us that we were wrong because we enjoyed keeping dogs and we would become sick for keeping them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

in the UK,it would depend on the local taxi licence,refusing to let a dog on board, could mean losing of your licence,and it has happened in a few cases

getz wrote: »
    in the UK,it would depend on the local taxi licence,refusing to let a dog on board, could mean losing of your licence,and it has happened in a few cases

I don't think you're right. According to this link they are only regulations covering assistance dogs:

http://www.dft.gov.uk/topics/access/taxis-and-private-hire-vehicles

I don't think you're right. According to this link they are only regulations covering assistance dogs:

http://www.dft.gov.uk/topics/access/taxis-and-private-hire-vehicles
    i did say it would depend on the local council who issue the license ,the above is only goverment quide lines for assistance dogs, even then religious reasons to reject a guide dog is not excepted,and in most cities in the UK a muslim driver who did that would not be employed for long.

i did say it would depend on the local council who issue the license ,the above is only goverment quide lines for assistance dogs, even then religious reasons to reject a guide dog is not excepted,and in most cities in the UK a muslim driver who did that would not be employed for long.

You said a driver could lose his licence for refusing a (non-assistance) dog. Do you have any links to back this up? I searched but didn't come up with anything for UK.

You said a driver could lose his licence for refusing a (non-assistance) dog. Do you have any links to back this up? I searched but didn't come up with anything for UK.
    its unlikely you will find one,as most islamic taxi drivers, like christians only play lip service to religion

• Advertisement

its unlikely you will find one,as most islamic taxi drivers, like christians only play lip service to religion

Lol, talk about a wide sweeping generalisation. Can we assume then that you made up your original remark then and could not find one single website to back it up?

Advertisement