Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exam repeat fees

Options
  • 24-12-2011 5:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, quick question, are exam repeat fees per module or what? Like hypothetically if you failed 4 would you have to pay 4 x €230? Someone mentioned to me that if you failed 4, you only paid for 2, if you failed 6, you paid for four... does anyone know how it works? Also, think I read somewhere else here that if you fail your cores, then you don't have to pay a repeat fee for that, is that true?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Hi, quick question, are exam repeat fees per module or what? Like hypothetically if you failed 4 would you have to pay 4 x €230? Someone mentioned to me that if you failed 4, you only paid for 2, if you failed 6, you paid for four... does anyone know how it works? Also, think I read somewhere else here that if you fail your cores, then you don't have to pay a repeat fee for that, is that true?
    Thanks

You pay for what you repeat. Repeat 3 = pay for 3. And yes, you do have to pay for repeated core modules.

Info on repeat fees can be found here: http://www.ucd.ie/registry/adminservices/fees/fees_registration.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

Im in my second year, and I think i've failed a module or two for the first time in UCD. I reckon I got an E in at least one exam. Completely fecked. There's no way around this is there? I have no choice but to dish out 230 because I failed? I remember last year hearing about being able to make up the difference with other exam results and not have to resort to paying fees. No idea really, since I didnt fail anything last year thankfully. Is this bullsh*t or is there any grain of truth? Saving like crazy to try to afford paying this 230 squid, any info would be appreciated! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

You can pass Es by compensation - if your GPA is over 2.0(?) and you have no more than 3 fails, Es become passes. F and worse gotta be repeated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

On a side note, does anyone know what date results are out and where you can check them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Raphael wrote: »
    You can pass Es by compensation - if your GPA is over 2.0(?) and you have no more than 3 fails, Es become passes. F and worse gotta be repeated.

Some modules are non-compensatory so be sure to check this. They are usually core competency modules eg. in Nursing, Medicine etc.

• Advertisement

[Jackass] wrote: »
    On a side note, does anyone know what date results are out and where you can check them?

No later than 5 pm Wednesday the 18th of January. They can be accessed through SIS -> information for students -> student records -> view your examination results.

Info on most things exams & results related that one could want to know can be found here: http://www.ucd.ie/registry/assessment/info_stu.htm

I might have failed an elective, so if I get an E in that and its able to be compensated, I wont have to pay or repeat anything?

Im researching this now and it says "Have completed and obtained passing grades in modules accounting for
    75% or more of the total credit required to successfully complete the stage
    (usually 45 credits or 9 modules)."

Does this mean that since I just started stage 2, which is 2nd and 3rd year, that I cant compensate? Jesus, UCD wrecks my head!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

You must pass 75% of the total credits for your current stage. Ie if your stage 60 credits, you must pass at least 45credits before you can compensate. That help?

muffinz wrote: »
    I might have failed an elective, so if I get an E in that and its able to be compensated, I wont have to pay or repeat anything?

Im researching this now and it says "Have completed and obtained passing grades in modules accounting for
    75% or more of the total credit required to successfully complete the stage
    (usually 45 credits or 9 modules)."

Does this mean that since I just started stage 2, which is 2nd and 3rd year, that I cant compensate? Jesus, UCD wrecks my head!

An E will be compensated. In a course like arts 2nd and 3rd year are both the same stage. So you can still compensate it, but it won't be done until the end of that stage, which is the end of third year.

In practice it won't make a difference unless the subject is a prerequisite for another.

And no, you don't have to pay for compensated modules.

Cheers for all the info! :) Is there a general area I can go to to talk to someone about my results and all this stuff when I get them back?

• Advertisement
Advertisement