Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unknown medals

Options
  • 24-12-2011 1:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭

I have the the follwing medals and dont know much about them.1 small silver medal about 1" across a bearded mans head witha band around it which reads irelands army of independence 1891 surrounded by shamrocks and ivy it is convex and concave,reverse says"let my love be conveyed to my colleagues and the irish people rd201503 is on the left,which i know to be a victorian reg number the name johson appears opposit that.2 amedal with a red and white ribbon and a bar which reads seirbis naisunta the medal has a warrior with a sword and a dog with" re na prainne"written on it.on the reverse it has a flower with 1939 1946 and na caomnoiriaitula on it. it has its lustre still. I ALSO HAVE A SET OF FOUR 1914 -1918 medals with ribbons on a bar 2 silver with different portraits of king george,one for long service 2 copper one with crossed swords engraved pte mc loughlin r.a.m.c and a freemasons medal with the same name on it and finally an identical medal to one one the bar which reads the great war for civilisation 1914-1918 iwould appreciate any info.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

I have the the follwing medals and dont know much about them.1 small silver medal about 1" across a bearded mans head witha band around it which reads irelands army of independence 1891 surrounded by shamrocks and ivy it is convex and concave,reverse says"let my love be conveyed to my colleagues and the irish people rd201503 is on the left,which i know to be a victorian reg number the name johson appears opposit that.2 amedal with a red and white ribbon and a bar which reads seirbis naisunta the medal has a warrior with a sword and a dog with" re na prainne"written on it.on the reverse it has a flower with 1939 1946 and na caomnoiriaitula on it. it has its lustre still. I ALSO HAVE A SET OF FOUR 1914 -1918 medals with ribbons on a bar 2 silver with different portraits of king george,one for long service 2 copper one with crossed swords engraved pte mc loughlin r.a.m.c and a freemasons medal with the same name on it and finally an identical medal to one one the bar which reads the great war for civilisation 1914-1918 iwould appreciate any info.

the great war for civilisation one is called The Victory Medal and was issued in 1919 to comemmerate World war one. millions were issued to those who fought in the war and for your average one zo would expect t pay between 10 and 20 euro.

no 2 with the red and white ribbon sound like LDF, now know as the RDF and was issued to those who served during the Emergency. re na painne means time of emergency.
    this page might help
    http://irishmedals.org/gpage4.html

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭phaethon

Hi,
    I ALSO HAVE A SET OF FOUR 1914 -1918 medals with ribbons on a bar 2 silver with different portraits of king george,one for long service 2 copper one with crossed swords engraved pte mc loughlin r.a.m.c and a freemasons medal with the same name on it and finally an identical medal to one one the bar which reads the great war for civilisation 1914-1918 iwould appreciate any info.

Please send me your Royal Army Medical Corps guy full naming on the medal's rim (especially number before pte.) and I can dig out more about him:cool:

Regards,

Timo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭zimmermania

phaethon wrote: »
    Hi,

Please send me your Royal Army Medical Corps guy full naming on the medal's rim (especially number before pte.) and I can dig out more about him:cool:

Regards,

Timo
    7248252 s.j.t W.mC Loughlin r. a.m. c is on one silver medal and the numbers 11432 appear on the other 3 as well as pte before his name and r.a.m.c.I did not even know there was writing on the rim,thank you for taking an interest i bought these with some other bric a brac years ago and i dont think they cost very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

11432 Private William McLoughlin, Royal Army Medical Corps.

Entered theatre Balkans (2b) on 20/10/1915.

Balkans (2b) is the shorthand for Gallipoli
    http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/medals.asp

entitled to 1915 Star, British War Medal and Victory Medal.

7248252 is a 1920 number from when the the BA moved from regimental numbers to Army service numbers. The Ministry of Defence probably still have his service records.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭zimmermania

11432 Private William McLoughlin, Royal Army Medical Corps.

Entered theatre Balkans (2b) on 20/10/1915.

Balkans (2b) is the shorthand for Gallipoli
    http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/medals.asp

entitled to 1915 Star, British War Medal and Victory Medal.

7248252 is a 1920 number from when the the BA moved from regimental numbers to Army service numbers. The Ministry of Defence probably still have his service records.
    Thanks a lot medals not my thing as i have them with ribbons on a bar,would they worth offering for sale on adverts .ie what do you think they might make?

• Advertisement
Advertisement