Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ring of Kerry 2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Frere Jacques

I hope they can put time stamps on their shots or else put them in time sequenced folders for easy identification.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 tameflame

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

tameflame wrote: »

Im in that video. Can't believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Tourman

I hope they can put time stamps on their shots or else put them in time sequenced folders for easy identification.
    They are usually un chronological order and time stamped so if you know what time you finished you shouldn't have to wade through to many pic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

link wont play
    says stream not found, what was it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

stevieob wrote: »
    link wont play
    says stream not found, what was it?
    An interview with Paud O'Leary's brother on Ireland AM.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭liv491

I took all off these - Sorry i didn't get to get one of you !!! Trying to look after 3 lots of cyclists , so took lots of pics between each group coming for supplies :) Well done on finishing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

First time ROK for myself and the hubby. Longest I had ever cycled before this was 120k Tour of Lough Derg which nearly broke me. Hubby had done a nice bit of training but never longer than 80k so to say we were a bit nervous at the start is an understatement!

Delighted to say there was no need to worry- it was a fantastic day. We loved it. The route was beautiful, the support amazing and wow the organisation was top notch. How many sandwiches did they make? I've never seen so many!!

Really enjoyed the day and will definitely be back next year.

• Advertisement

Solobally8 wrote: »
    How many sandwiches did they make? I've never seen so many!!

there is no way in the world that all those sandwiches were gone through.

i wonder what they did with the left overs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭meercat

Solobally8 wrote: »
    How many sandwiches did they make? I've never seen so many!!

there is no way in the world that all those sandwiches were gone through.

i wonder what they did with the left overs?
    They handed out a fair few sambos out after 6 in the gleneagle hotel
    Fair play not letting them go to waste

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

meercat wrote: »
    They handed out a fair few sambos out after 6 in the gleneagle hotel
    Fair play not letting them go to waste

My first Ring this year too, and I also was overwhelmed by the sandwichness.

I asked one of the volunteers - there were 15,000 sandwiches made. Each of the charities involved had to make 2,500 sandwiches. Fair play to them. I think I'd find 7 hours of sandwich making much tougher than 7 hours of cycling the beautiful the Ring of Kerry. I'll definitely try and get back next year. I have two records to beat. My time on the ring, and the number of sandwiches I consumed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Masala

I heard it was 21,000 sandwiches made. T

• Registered Users Posts: 5 moto59

the cyclist in the ditch under a tree 300 meters above the galways bridge was okay , apart from road rash there was a possible problem with his knee,i spoke to him on monday and he said it seemed to be okay. he had been involved in an unfortunate coming together of bikes,and not at any great speed. i was the motor bike marshall parked head up 30 meters above him .we had a 2nd marshall parked 30 meters below him.a large group came down the hill at speed,and with all our flashing lights we were not worried about been seen ,so it came as somewhat of a suprise when we heard a bang as somebody clipped the lower bike,managing to knock it over.whoever the cyclist was he kept going 1 meter out on the wrong side of the road and heading in to a blind corner..If we seemed ott with sirens and whistles coming up molls gap against the flow, around the next corner you know that there is somebody on the wrong side of the road,with earphones on who cannot hear you coming.A safe speed is one in which you can stop in the visible distance.How many people horsing it down molls gap thinking that they are great descenders would be able to stop in time.THE vast majority of accidents on the ring happen on the descent.8200 bicycles took part in the cycle ,it is a great event,it is our job to worry about you..

moto59 wrote: »
    the cyclist in the ditch under a tree 300 meters above the galways bridge was okay , apart from road rash there was a possible problem with his knee,i spoke to him on monday and he said it seemed to be okay. he had been involved in an unfortunate coming together of bikes,and not at any great speed. i was the motor bike marshall parked head up 30 meters above him .we had a 2nd marshall parked 30 meters below him.a large group came down the hill at speed,and with all our flashing lights we were not worried about been seen ,so it came as somewhat of a suprise when we heard a bang as somebody clipped the lower bike,managing to knock it over.whoever the cyclist was he kept going 1 meter out on the wrong side of the road and heading in to a blind corner..If we seemed ott with sirens and whistles coming up molls gap against the flow, around the next corner you know that there is somebody on the wrong side of the road,with earphones on who cannot hear you coming.A safe speed is one in which you can stop in the visible distance.How many people horsing it down molls gap thinking that they are great descenders would be able to stop in time.THE vast majority of accidents on the ring happen on the descent.8200 bicycles took part in the cycle ,it is a great event,it is our job to worry about you..

My mate said when he was descending molls gap at slow speed he saw 3 deers crossing the road luckly he was going extremely slow but how many people could stop safely doing speeds up to 70km/h? Not many.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 boardtalking

I know I felt a major slump around Parknasilla ( approx 15K from kenmare ) Did anyone feel the back leg from Sneem to Kenmare was the toughest part.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

I know I felt a major slump around Parknasilla ( approx 15K from kenmare ) Did anyone feel the back leg from Sneem to Kenmare was the toughest part.:confused:
    Every one says it's a "dead" road. Didn't really feel it myself. We were going at a fierce slow pace though, if I had been pushing all along I would have been flagging at that stage alright.

For some reason i had it in my head that Kenmare was at 120k. With this in mind, I breezed through Sneem and was horrified when I seen a sign a few k past Sneem to say Kenmare was 24k away. It was the worse 24k I think I've ever ridden, but helped somewhat for the few K which I was able to latch on to a bunch of riders from Tralee and Killarney Cycling clubs.

I hit the wall at 130k and thought I was never going to get to Kenmare :( Molls Gap was ok after the break all things considered.

Speaking of which, coming up Molls, as I was nearing the top, there was some aul fella who called out at everyone who passed him "Moll has a lot to answer for so she does" in his thick Kerry accent. Anyone else meet this character?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jonj123

For some reason i had it in my head that Kenmare was at 120k. With this in mind, I breezed through Sneem and was horrified when I seen a sign a few k past Sneem to say Kenmare was 24k away. It was the worse 24k I think I've ever ridden, but helped somewhat for the few K which I was able to latch on to a bunch of riders from Tralee and Killarney Cycling clubs.

I hit the wall at 130k and thought I was never going to get to Kenmare :( Molls Gap was ok after the break all things considered.

Speaking of which, coming up Molls, as I was nearing the top, there was some aul fella who called out at everyone who passed him "Moll has a lot to answer for so she does" in his thick Kerry accent. Anyone else meet this character?
    I did the ring in ten hours on my 60yr old high nelly with no gears.i feel very proud of myself. 1st and last time on that bike round the ring.

Did anyone else notice a lot of these jerseys
    $T2eC16FHJHwE9n8igtmYBP7cJVMEZw~~60_12.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

langdang wrote: »
    $T2eC16FHJHwE9n8igtmYBP7cJVMEZw~~60_12.JPG

No but I want one!

Would go great with the 1 man lone wolf club I've got going on these days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

jonj123 wrote: »
    I did the ring in ten hours on my 60yr old high nelly with no gears.i feel very proud of myself. 1st and last time on that bike round the ring.

You surely had one gear, unless it was a penny farthing. :pac:

Do it again!

Grassey wrote: »
    No but I want one!

Would go great with the 1 man lone wolf club I've got going on these days!
    Loads on eBay, and plenty even wackier yokes on sale from China/Korea

Lumen wrote: »

Do it again!
    I was talking to a local who wouldn't be into the cycling, he was commenting on the few people he'd seen on unicycles doing it. He mixed up tandem and unicycle, but for a few seconds I had a funny mental image of someone doing the whole Ring on a unicycle - ouch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

I slumped there last year so this year I stopped in Sneem and had a Powerbar and a Gel, I then cycled to Kenmare in an average speed of over 27kmh.

A fine shkelp of Sneem black pudding and you'd have topped that I'd say. Better than EPO for boosting the red blood cells so it is ;)

182829149.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭squeaky crank

saw a couple of lads from Wolftrap cc (Offaly) - around Sneem - Nice Jerseys too

27 of us from Meath wore these "Hill Ringer" jerseys.

Saw the Hill Ringers jerseys around alright.
    Wolftrap CC rings some bells now - I thought it was just some mad fad for those eBay jerseys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

A fine shkelp of Sneem black pudding and you'd have topped that I'd say. Better than EPO for boosting the red blood cells so it is ;)

....better again if the blood used to make it came from Spanish pigs!!

• Advertisement

Jawgap wrote: »
    ....better again if the blood used to make it came from Spanish pigs!!

1) Altitude train Spanish pigs
    2) package pudding in Carbon Fibre
    3) Sell "Tri-pudding" to triathletes at ridiculous mark-up
    4) Ka-Ching!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

macnab wrote: »

Think I met most of you guys last week, one of ye actually farted right in my face, I let him know about it though..

macadam wrote: »

Think I met most of you guys last week, one of ye actually farted right in my face, I let him know about it though..

That bike must have been backfiring badly up molls gap.

we will have to get to the bottom of this one ;-)

we will have to get to the bottom of this one ;-)

Should have left some skid marks, might even have caused a blow out there was some bang out of it!!

Should have left some skid marks, might even have caused a blow out there was some bang out of it!!

Anyone here look familiar??

Glad to see someone suffered the same as me - fair play to the man and woman that had the piped water at side of the road - 1st time on it please god wont be last...the best part was hearing the cyclists in the distance yelping as they crossed molls gap - all I can remember was the maSS of cyclists parked up accross from the avoca store felt like screaming for joy myself ...did anyone remember the white tandem...as we climbed the lift after waterville they found themselves boxed in...the front rider was bawling as the pace was too slow for them...he blasted out..."start pedalin lads or pullover" the group duly obliged we legged it - had the look of principal...we cut stick lively enough....had to drive home after it ...next year parkin up and squezzing the life out of a keg of guiness - seemed to be a mighty atmosphere

Anyone here look familiar??
    Turn them round, it came from the rear

Glad to see someone suffered the same as me - fair play to the man and woman that had the piped water at side of the road - 1st time on it please god wont be last...the best part was hearing the cyclists in the distance yelping as they crossed molls gap - all I can remember was the maSS of cyclists parked up accross from the avoca store felt like screaming for joy myself ...did anyone remember the white tandem...as we climbed the lift after waterville they found themselves boxed in...the front rider was bawling as the pace was too slow for them...he blasted out..."start pedalin lads or pullover" the group duly obliged we legged it - had the look of principal...we cut stick lively enough....had to drive home after it ...next year parkin up and squezzing the life out of a keg of guiness - seemed to be a mighty atmosphere

That's what we did this year,2 nights in a decent hotel for 140e, included breakfast, not bad for july. We arrived friday about 4 signed in and chilled out, on the road sat at 7ish, back about 3.30 and had a munch and a scoop at the gleneagle bbq, more scoops in killarney later on, went home sunday lunchtime after a cracking weekend. If you can do it it's the way to go. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Yeah found that bit the hardest too, as it was full of twists and turns with very few signposts it was very hard to gather any scope of how much longer was left, even the flat bits felt like they were uphill.

Me as well, especially last year on my first RoK so this year i was ready for it, stocked up with carbo's in Sneem and took it really handy on that stretch of road to Kenmare, chatting with a few people, like you do on the day.Quick rest in Kenmare, about 10 mins and really enjoyed the climb up to Moll's gap.
    Last year we went to fast before Kenmare so we suffered bigtime on that climb so enjoying the day and taking it handy is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 moto59

guym wrote: »
    My first ROK and must say kudos to the organisers, considering the amount of participants I thought the organization was spot on. Went to sign on on Friday night and was expecting to be queueing for at least an hour or so, but was straight through in less than 10 minutes! Started off just after 6.30 roads were chockablok for first 30k or so but then started to thin out a little. First food stop was organised chaos but again with the numbers involved I don't think it could be improved on. The variety of bikes / rider ability was vast, saw a fella on a bike that looked like it had just been pulled from a skip, literally more rust than bike:). Also saw some of the worst car driving & cycling that i've ever seen, some really sketchy manouvers being pulled! Saw a few fella's who didn't need helmets (plonkers!!) one of which had a helmet but he thought it looked better strapped to his bars. Longest spin i'd done before this was 130k so was a little daunted by Molls Gap coming in around 145k but was pleasantly suprised, a long drag but not particulary steep, descent down was 'interesting', saw a fella who had overcooked it looking bruised and battered at the base of a tree on one of the bends, hope he's ok. All in all, really enjoyed the spin and looking forward to next year already.......a big well done to the organisers and best wishes to all charities involved.
    the chap under the tree was okay.we were worried about his knee but it was fine. i talked to him on monday and he was still sore and bruised but grand..

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Tourman

Me as well, especially last year on my first RoK so this year i was ready for it, stocked up with carbo's in Sneem and took it really handy on that stretch of road to Kenmare, chatting with a few people, like you do on the day.Quick rest in Kenmare, about 10 mins and really enjoyed the climb up to Moll's gap.
    Last year we went to fast before Kenmare so we suffered bigtime on that climb so enjoying the day and taking it handy is the way to go.

Same here. I think most leisure cyclists hit the wall on this stretch on the first time doing the ring and then plan for it the next time

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jonj123

jonj123 wrote: »
    Lumen wrote: »

Do it again!
    never!! unless pushed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

Update from Killarney Club FB page:

"Status update
    By Killarney Camera Club
    Hi folks! The Ring of Kerry Charity Cycle images won't be too long more. I had a smile on my face while I was editing them. The look of relief and excitement on your faces was infectious.
    As you can appreciate with the large amount of competitiors that took part the volume of images was huge. So please be patient with us and hopefully we won't disappoint you with the images.
    Watch this space and I will let you know when they are up."

https://www.facebook.com/killarneycameraclub

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭sayno

Axel Lamp wrote: »
    Update from Killarney Club FB page:

"Status update
    By Killarney Camera Club
    Hi folks! The Ring of Kerry Charity Cycle images won't be too long more. I had a smile on my face while I was editing them. The look of relief and excitement on your faces was infectious.
    As you can appreciate with the large amount of competitiors that took part the volume of images was huge. So please be patient with us and hopefully we won't disappoint you with the images.
    Watch this space and I will let you know when they are up."

https://www.facebook.com/killarneycameraclub

Looking forward to them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

michael196 wrote: »
    there is video footage from a helmet cam of the descent from molls gap to the finish,

i think it could rightly be heavily criticised for some bahaviours in it, so am very slow to post,

I have put it , then deleted it.....then put again then deleted again,

it is the final 30 k sprint from molls gap to the finish

the other 150K of the ROK, I did a lot more sedatly

those will post later,

I am the rider and wil admit now, that not fully proud of some of the moves: so there is my apology up front.

[COLOR=#ffcc00]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT6EIEet45Y&feature=youtu.be[/COLOR]

the next video shows a crash in a league race at 10 minutes into the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=pRpc0SFox8w&list=UUbBeZo8slVYFDbNelgGd9Mg

750 hits since posting .... popular video !!

listenin to "life is a highway" while I look at the clip - brngs back all the good memories from the day. Have to say have only brought "the mistress" out twice since - I have been fairly tired since. was my first and part of problem there is a bit on anti climax now that its not there to look forward to but I'm slowly getting the appetite. after spending the night being ate alive by the midgets on the bog last night while footing the turf i was dreaming of the fresh tar as we headed for cahirciveen past darbys bridge. Might chance the meath heritage next weekend help me fix my pining heart:):rolleyes: great to see the footage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭snottybridge

Few photos up on the killarney camera clubs facebook page.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement