Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ring of Kerry 2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 jenko1982

BailMeOut wrote: »
    just registered for my first ROK. Someone mentioned to me that there is an alternative race start/end in Kenmare but do not see anything on the website about this. Kenmare would be a much better base for me so anyone know if this is the case?

Thanks!
    Jus got a job in kenmare so defo up for starting there. would be great to get a group together. what is the cycling scene like in kenmare are there any clubs/groups

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

ROK ON wrote: »
    I have started every year in either Kenmare or Molls Gap. From about 6am in the morning there is a continual line of cyclists heading up Molls Gap.

The advantage is that
    (1) Molls out of the way early,
    (2) The descent down past Ladies View (which is technical) is done on quiet roads with very little car traffic in the opposite direction.
    (3) The Kenmare food stop and welcome massage sets you up for a great night out in town.

I have also started and finished in Molls Gap (2 years ago). There is usually a bit of a carnival atmosphere on the top of Molls Gap on the day of the Ring.

The reality with the Ring of Kerry is that you can start it finish it where you like. I know people that have started from Sneem and Caherciveen. Its up to you.

Ya it's an alternative to the traditional RoK route, i know a few guys who did the kenmare start last year , and as was mentioned it gets molls gap out of the way early on, but they said they missed the buzz of the killarney finish and the day seemed a bit "flat" to them, they are returning to the traditional route this year.
    But as was menioned each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Garret C

Does anyone know if a detailed route is available? I want to add it as a course to my garmin connect so I can see the elevation. The route on the ROG site doesn't really give any information on the roads taken etc :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Garret C wrote: »
    Does anyone know if a detailed route is available? I want to add it as a course to my garmin connect so I can see the elevation. The route on the ROG site doesn't really give any information on the roads taken etc :(

It's just the main road / route of the ring of kerry. If you do a search on mapmyride you will find plenty of people have mapped it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Garret C wrote: »

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/966567

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭De Bhál

I am signed up and having never cycled more than 50k (in one stretch) before I am looking for advice from the experienced people on here about
    • what to wear
    • what to eat before and during (how much)

or any other advice that comes to mind

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Tumadoir

De Bhál,

Wear cycling shorts/jersey, with wicking sublayer (keeps sweat away from skin, stops you freezing). Cycling shoes/cleats ONLY if you have had a chance to practise on them for a while - ROK is no place to test drive anything

You will probably hear recommendations to wear many layers - if you're not moving you're in trouble, if you are you're warm. Simple. Have a v light rainjacket (one that rolls into it's own bag is very handy) for the inevitable shower. Remember, you have to carry everything you bring, even if you're not wearing it. Personally I travel light, buts it's an individual choice.

Food - lots of water/isotonic drinks, energy bars/gels (try these in the weeks beforehand to see if i) you like them and more importantly ii) they like you) raisins, bananas are good alternatives.

Enjoy

Thanks for the that, some good information there.

On the morning of the event, would a big fry up be a no no or just go for the weetabix, tea and toast option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

De Bhál wrote: »
    Thanks for the that, some good information there.

On the morning of the event, would a big fry up be a no no or just go for the weetabix, tea and toast option.

A fry would kill me before a long cycle, all that red meat takes ages to digest and doesnt provide much energy. I like a big bowl of Porridge followed by a cup of coffee. I also load up on carbs the night before with a big plate of pasta. Both of these have a great slow release of energy.
    As already said, never try anything new on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

macnab wrote: »
    A fry would kill me before a long cycle, all that red meat takes ages to digest and doesnt provide much energy.

Calories is calories!

Pork products are excellent food for all-day cycling. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Lumen wrote: »
    Calories is calories!

They also make a damn fine recovery food.

A fry would kill me before a long cycle, all that red meat takes ages to digest and doesnt provide much energy.

Calories is calories!

Not for my overly fussy digestive system, 70% fat=100% indigestion, having said that I love sausages and am happy to hear that they are good recovery food.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bal1000

ROK ON wrote: »
    Calories is calories!

They also make a damn fine recovery food.
    Pints of Guinness are the best recovery food after the RoK:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Calories is calories!

Not for my overly fussy digestive system, 70% fat=100% indigestion, having said that I love sausages and am happy to hear that they are good recovery food.
    Fry might be alright if you cooked it yourself after buying the stuff yourself. I find a lot of the "catering quality" fries wouldn't endear me to anyone drafting behind....

Fun size mars bars or the cheapo own brand equivalent might be just as good as gels etc considering its not a race. As long as its not too warm!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭dancecatz2000

also try sweaty fig rolls taste best after 3hrs or so,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

2 years ago i started from killorglin at 6am, when i got to killarney they were all cheering me, which was a bummer cause i still had 12 miles od, plus i had my photo taken with me going "yeh!!!!" plus i didnt see many people on my run starting at 6am, so last year i went back to starting in killarney, way way better for me, but kenmare would be different story.

For my breakfast i had/have a bowl porrage and 2 boiled eggs, i also dont eat the splodgey sandwiches, i take boiled eggs. bananas, and a few jafacakes for emergency's.

BUT one thing that has helped me every year is a icecream in sneem, lovely!!!!!!! plus the sugar gives me a kick, !!! but more important than anything have the craic and enjoy the day how ever long it takes!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

BUT one thing that has helped me every year is a icecream in sneem, lovely!!!!!!! plus the sugar gives me a kick, !!!
    Lemon meringue FTW :D

Thanks for all the advice

I want to collect money for Temple Street hospital as they helped my daughter big time this time last year.
    Now if you go on to the ROK website they say you can only collect for one of their selected charities, which is fair enough as they are covering the cost of food etc...

Talking to a woman on the phone about this she said they expect everyone to collect 50euro min to cover the cost of the charities.

Could I contribute 50 myself to one of the Kerry charities and collect for Temple street on top of that.

Is this a no no, and I should wait for an Temple Street cycle to collect money for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

BUT one thing that has helped me every year is a icecream in sneem, lovely!!!!!!! plus the sugar gives me a kick, !!! but more important than anything have the craic and enjoy the day how ever long it takes!!!!!!!!

when im not in training i always feel well guilty eating ice cream , if it can give you that much kick cycling imagine the harm eating it when your not gona burn it off,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭clod71

De Bhál wrote: »
    Thanks for all the advice

I want to collect money for Temple Street hospital as they helped my daughter big time this time last year.
    Now if you go on to the ROK website they say you can only collect for one of their selected charities, which is fair enough as they are covering the cost of food etc...

Talking to a woman on the phone about this she said they expect everyone to collect 50euro min to cover the cost of the charities.

Could I contribute 50 myself to one of the Kerry charities and collect for Temple street on top of that.

Is this a no no, and I should wait for an Temple Street cycle to collect money for them.

I don't think you can choose who to give the money to.
    I wanted to do the same thing to help a different association, but on the registration pack it is written clearly that you cannot do it.
    The money will only go to the three charities advertised.

• Advertisement

clod71 wrote: »
    I don't think you can choose who to give the money to.
    I wanted to do the same thing to help a different association, but on the registration pack it is written clearly that you cannot do it.
    The money will only go to the three charities advertised.

Fair enough so.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Jcarroll07

Can you just give €50-60 your self or would them want to see sponsorship cards showing that you raised it rather then just pay yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Jcarroll07 wrote: »
    Can you just give €50-60 your self or would them want to see sponsorship cards showing that you raised it rather then just pay yourself.

you could be really cunning, and have like two sponsorship cards, raise a few bob for ROK, and a few bob for the charity of choice.
    i cant see them cross examining you, show up, give them a few bob, they'll hardly turn you away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Jcarroll07 wrote: »

Every year participants raise money for a variety of charities.
    The overwhelming amount will raise funds for the chosen charity or will choose one of the chosen charities.

There are others who have a charity that is not an official ROK charity. In this case as long as you make a donation to the ROK charities at the official registration then the authorities are content. I recall last year that the suggested donation is €50.

I am not involved in any way with the Ring of Kerry cycle, but this is my understanding as to how it operates.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Is anyone doing this this year? Have put my name in the hat but not sure if I'll make it down from the big smoke.

Is anyone doing this this year? Have put my name in the hat but not sure if I'll make it down from the big smoke.
    Ive signed up for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭nilhg

I'm in, B&B booked, don't know if I'm mad to take it on this year but really looking forward to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

Just signed up for this tonight. Having done the Wicklow 100 on Sunday it has given me a push to get out more and increase my distances. Just looking at some of the comments would I be right in saying that the circuit is handy enough apart from a couple of drags ? Having done the Wickow 100 should I be ok to complete this circuit ?

Who else is going ? Any pointers on somewhere to stay ? I know I have left it very late but any suggestions would be much appreciated!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

Signed up a few weeks ago and stil haven't got a my registration pack. Anyone got theirs?

@BUACHAILL - Anywhere you can afford with a vacancy left in Killarney....you've left it late!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Only booked a b and b last night, right in of killarney near the start. 35e pp a night. Good few affordable places if you spend the time looking! Some mad places looking for 400 for 2nigts though!

• Advertisement

Grassey wrote: »
    Only booked a b and b last night, right in of killarney near the start. 35e pp a night. Good few affordable places if you spend the time looking! Some mad places looking for 400 for 2nigts though!

Would you mind sending me a pm of where it is you booked please ? Appreciate it

Ditto pls, and are ye up for a few scoops recovery drinks afterwards?

PMs sent.

See ye in the "recovery" bar!

45 shekels B+B between the start and finish lines !
    i was getting worried i was going to have to "pull" my accomodation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

What sort of training are people doing for it?

It's my first time attempting it, I've done a few spins but nothing longer than 85kms. Aim is to just finish it.

Axel Lamp wrote: »
    What sort of training are people doing for it?

It's my first time attempting it, I've done a few spins but nothing longer than 85kms. Aim is to just finish it.

My longest spin has been 70k since I bought a bike last month, doing no training for it. Prob won't get on. Bike until that weekend, still remain obliviously confident that 'sure it'll be grand'

Grassey wrote: »
    My longest spin has been 70k since I bought a bike last month, doing no training for it. Prob won't get on. Bike until that weekend, still remain obliviously confident that 'sure it'll be grand'

That'll have to be my mantra as well as I wont get much opportunity to do any long spins before the ROK due to work etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,084 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Few spins between 50 and 70 k. One big one 92k over the sally gap and all that was over a month ago.
    Did 55k on Tuesday and felt it!

the cycle is the furthest from my worries. its where i am going to sleep afterwards. still looking for place to stay, may get a van and put a mattress in it

• Advertisement

you could chance your charm at the exit from the bingo in the Gleneagle?

Woodlands Bed and Breakfast
    http://www.bedandbreakfastworld.com/ireland/killarney/woodlands-bed-and-breakfast/54787
    has a room for 45 shekels, looks close enough?

need something for the friday and sat !! if i was to only stay one night it will be the friday !! i got a baba at home

BUACHAILL wrote: »
    need something for the friday and sat !! if i was to only stay one night it will be the friday !! i got a baba at home

Score to snore and if that fails ill throw you some carpet for. Making a heroic effort!

If you try for B&B's in Fossa or the Tralee road. Both areas outside of Town but not too far away either

looking to spend 100 a night max for myself and wifey ! doesnt look likely
    was hoping to get somewhere in the town ! aghhhhhhhh jaysuuuuuuussssssss

ok its done !! i got lucky staying 2 mins from start and under budget.
    now to convince the missus she loves me and will come along ;-)

• Advertisement

Good stuff mate! Now to see you on recovery beer tent!

thats a fact my man, i will be recovering before i start ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

Just spotted that the ROK roads are closed for the cycle!

http://www.kerrycoco.ie/en/allservices/roads/roadclosures/title,7277,en.html

Over 7000 cyclists registered so far.

lescol wrote: »

Class.....no hold ups coming down from the gap, well no bus traffic anyways.

lescol wrote: »

Superb news.

Got this link from another thread: shows the elevation etc

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/966567

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement