Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ring of Kerry 2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

lescol wrote: »
    Just spotted that the ROK roads are closed for the cycle!

http://www.kerrycoco.ie/en/allservices/roads/roadclosures/title,7277,en.html

Over 7000 cyclists registered so far.

Great news. About time too. Last year there was a bus driving up Coomakiste who decided that be couldn't wait to get thru the 100's of cyclists climbing so he just decided to plough on.
    Myself and a guy from Tralee BC cycled inferno of the bus purposefully to slow him down. Not something that I like doing at all, but felt I had little choice given the behaviour of the your bus driver.
    Sadly I will miss the RoK this year, but this is really great news.
    Only necessary on certain stretches of road IMHO however,
    Namely
    Coomakiste
    Sneem- pat Spillanes
    Molls Gap to Torc

The other sections have very wide road with very good visibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

Is that the whole course or only sections?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭LeftBlank

AIR-AUSSIE wrote: »

It's a rolling road closure on parts of the course. Don't think it covers all the course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

AIR-AUSSIE wrote: »

Sections by the look of it. Closing Sneem to Blackwater is a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

The first 5km from Killarney to Fossa and the final 4km from Torc to the Gleneagle would be open to traffic. Fossa to Killorglin will be closed, Killorglin to Carragh Bridge will be closed to on coming traffic,Carragh Bridge to Sneem will be open, Sneem to the Blackwater Bridge will be open to on coming traffic, the Blackwater Bridge to Kenmare will be open, Kenmare to Torc will be closed.

That's what the KCC page appears to be saying! The coaches are being directed away from Kenmare-Killarney which, I suppose, means that they will still be on the road in parts. Should be interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,084 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

where did you see that?
    how many have done it in previous years? will this be the bigggest turn out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭flying11

stevieob wrote: »
    where did you see that?
    how many have done it in previous years? will this be the bigggest turn out?

5400 did it lasy year according to the newspapers in kerry. with 7000 already registered for this year, i imagine it will be the biggest turnout in the history of the event.

Guinness Book of Records on standby for largest game of bicycle-dominos ever...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

The figure of 7200 has been posted on their Facebook page. Each year has seen an increase in participants, so this year will be their largest turnout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

The figure of 7200 has been posted on their Facebook page. Each year has seen an increase in participants, so this year will be their largest turnout.

That's a lot of sandwiches and bananas in Cahirciveen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Where in Killarney is the starting point? This is my first year doing it and where would be a good place to park up a car for the day?

teednab-el wrote: »
    Where in Killarney is the starting point? This is my first year doing it and where would be a good place to park up a car for the day?

The have two free designated parking areas. see here: http://www.ringofkerrycycle.ie/news.php

The Race course is official starting place as it's where registration happens that morning (afaik)

Axel Lamp wrote: »
    The have two free designated parking areas. see here: http://www.ringofkerrycycle.ie/news.php

The Race course is official starting place as it's where registration happens that morning (afaik)

Are there huge waiting times when signing up the morning of the ROK? I am doing it on my own too so hope to meet some of you guys here too. :D

Are there huge waiting times when signing up the morning of the ROK? I am doing it on my own too so hope to meet some of you guys here too. :D

I would assume so with so many registering. It's my first time doing it too :eek:

I'm hoping to register on the Friday myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

I would assume so with so many registering. It's my first time doing it too :eek:

I'm hoping to register on the Friday myself

Website is saying there may not be a facility to enter on the friday, best to get online and have your name down. Then all you do is check in on Friday night .

Esroh wrote: »
    Website is saying there may not be a facility to enter on the friday, best to get online and have your name down. Then all you do is check in on Friday night .

If you register online do you just call into Scotts on the Friday to confirm your details or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭nilhg

If you register online do you just call into Scotts on the Friday to confirm your details or what?

You'll get an info pack in the post, a sponsorship card and ticket with your number on it, when you are signing on on the friday evening you'll be paying over any money you raise/donate and also confirming safety/next of kin data, collecting a bike tag and signing the T&Cs.

Esroh wrote: »

I meant Check-in as already registered, thankfully :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

nilhg wrote: »
    You'll get an info pack in the post, a sponsorship card and ticket with your number on it, when you are signing on on the friday evening you'll be paying over any money you raise/donate and also confirming safety/next of kin data, collecting a bike tag and signing the T&Cs.

I assume they have some way to check donations via my charity.ie?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Hi Guys,

To anyone who is looking for accommodation...

I had some difficulties with finding a B&B for the Friday night, but finally (after about 20 emails back saying "we are fully booked") I got 2 places booked - Double Room + facility for your dog in the room, if required. I will be only taking one of these places and so will gladly forward details of the other place to anyone who is still looking for a (double) room. The B&B is located only 13km from the starting point in Killarney and they charge €33 per person, dog free ;).

If you need details, please drop me a PM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

What sort of training are people doing for it?

It's my first time attempting it, I've done a few spins but nothing longer than 85kms. Aim is to just finish it.

Was the same last year. and the same this year! Furthest ive gone on the bike so far is 65km. Will be relying on sheer stubborness to get me around. Just remember that you can take your time as much as you want, get off the bike and give your ar*e a rest when you need to. Sit down and have a cup of scauld, relax and enjoy it.

thehamo wrote: »
    What sort of training are people doing for it?

It's my first time attempting it, I've done a few spins but nothing longer than 85kms. Aim is to just finish it.

Was the same last year and the same this year! Furthest ive gone on the bike so far is 65km. Will be relying on sheer stubborness to get me around. Just remember that you can take your time as much as you want, get off the bike and give your ar*e a rest when you need to. Sit down and have a cup of scauld, relax and enjoy it.

I did 80km today, This was my longest spin don't feel too bad but my ass hurts big time even with the gel bicycle shorts. I've done a 20km, 60km, 75km and an 80km along with gyming 3-4 times per week. Aim to do a small spin tomorrow. Hopefully I should be ok for the ROK.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Hu Deman

I did it last year with only 1 long cycle done, 100k in june, only started cycling in january it was my first leisure cycle,great fun great atmosphere.oh and i weighed 18.5 stone at the time. You should be fine:)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 squelch666

hey

i've registered for this..do we get a tshirt for entry fee etc??

just wondering do you get many people cycling this that arent registered for the event..cheapskates like

i seen this on the website
    ''If you have registered online, you must sign in at one of the designated times to collect your bike label which will ensure your access to the food stops and passage by the Stewards at checkpoints.''

does this mean if you are not registered you will stopped on the road at some points??

squelch666 wrote: »
    hey

There is no "entry fee" for the Ring of Kerry Cycle.

• Advertisement

what entry fee? there is none as far as i know!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 squelch666

i mean the minimum charity you have to raise..i heard its €50

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

That €50 goes to charity, not to buying t-shirts.

i mean the minimum charity you have to raise..i heard its €50

well as it is for charity, would presume it will go to charity rather than go to buying you a t-shirt.

On the other hand, you could buy one of the jerseys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I think its important that people are aware that the ROK cycle is a CHARITY event.

How much should you give? I suggest as much as you can afford.

Here's an extract from a letter I received from the organising committee:

"Some of the donations that we have received in the last few years have been bordering on the insulting."

Another extract worth mentioning:

"THIS EVENT IS NOT A RACE. If people want to time themselves and want to improve their personal best there are 364 other days in which to do it. We are asking these people to please STAY AWAY FROM THE RING ON THE 7th July.

This is a wonderful event which raises huge funds for extremely worthy and hardworking charities. DO NOT RUIN IT"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dvntie

Folks anyone have an elevation chart for the ROK none on their website at all
    Thanx in advance

Here ya go dvntie
    Got this link from another thread: shows the elevation etc
    http://ridewithgps.com/routes/966567
    It was back one or two pages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

hey

just wondering do you get many people cycling this that arent registered for the event..cheapskates like

i seen this on the website
    ''If you have registered online, you must sign in at one of the designated times to collect your bike label which will ensure your access to the food stops and passage by the Stewards at checkpoints.''

does this mean if you are not registered you will stopped on the road at some points??

they cant stop you on the actual roads as they're public.
    Apparently a lot of cheap-skates mingle with the rest of the punters, risking opprobrium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Opprobrium!! Great word Roger, i had to check that one out. No they can't stop you as they are public roads, and unless they check for registration numbers on every bike on the day at the food stops then there will be a lot of chancers on the 7th. Cahersiveen last year was unreal, we got there well before 10 and the queues went on forever, and they're expecting even more this year.

Opprobrium!! Great word Roger, i had to check that one out. No they can't stop you as they are public roads, and unless they check for registration numbers on every bike on the day at the food stops then there will be a lot of chancers on the 7th. Cahersiveen last year was unreal, we got there well before 10 and the queues went on forever, and they're expecting even more this year.

Cheers!
    It being Kerry, there could be no end of Kerrymen pulling strokes, us honest Cork men will have our tags though!

whats the optimum time to set off, to have some craic, but not get bogged down in old dears queing for tea? Would 7am see you badly stuck?

Cheers!
    It being Kerry, there could be no end of Kerrymen pulling strokes, us honest Cork men will have our tags though!

whats the optimum time to set off, to have some craic, but not get bogged down in old dears queing for tea? Would 7am see you badly stuck?

If all who registered turn up, then starting at anytime could see you get badly stuck.

but badly stuck as opposed to "for feck sake lads (©), this is worse than Hillbillys at 3am......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dvntie

langdang wrote: »
    Here ya go dvntie
    Got this link from another thread: shows the elevation etc
    http://ridewithgps.com/routes/966567
    It was back one or two pages
    Cheers for that I kinda figured it was but didn't have time to go they the whole thread

Seweryn wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

To anyone who is looking for accommodation...

I had some difficulties with finding a B&B for the Friday night, but finally (after about 20 emails back saying "we are fully booked") I got 2 places booked - Double Room + facility for your dog in the room, if required. I will be only taking one of these places and so will gladly forward details of the other place to anyone who is still looking for a (double) room. The B&B is located only 13km from the starting point in Killarney and they charge €33 per person, dog free ;).

If you need details, please drop me a PM.

is this gig still going, my frickin B&B had to cancel my booking after getting water damaged, (or so says the operator, could be a stroke to relieve the Cork man of a few more bobski).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭Seweryn

is this gig still going, my frickin B&B had to cancel my booking after getting water damaged, (or so says the operator, could be a stroke to relieve the Cork man of a few more bobski).
    Yes, still there as far as I know ;).

• Advertisement

Im not spooning you...

just wondering what are you bringing with you on day of cycle in regards food and refreshments?

There will be alot of stops, and wondering can I get away by packing a few flapjacks and bananas, or would it be worth bringing a small hipbag or rucksack to carry stuff with you?

Normally I bring alot of food with me on my own spins but thats in case i dont stop near a shop. What's the best thing to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Rheo

It's my first time doing this event. I'm traveling over from Wicklow, so I might make it a weekend visit.

I'm not sure how the whole donating thing works tbh. Do I need to be sponsored or can I just make a direct donation on the day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

just wondering what are you bringing with you on day of cycle in regards food and refreshments?

There will be alot of stops, and wondering can I get away by packing a few flapjacks and bananas, or would it be worth bringing a small hipbag or rucksack to carry stuff with you?

Normally I bring alot of food with me on my own spins but thats in case i dont stop near a shop. What's the best thing to do?

There's no need to bring a lot with you on the day,plenty of carbs for the few days before have a decent breakfast to get you started ,2 bottles and a light snack with you on the day. There are plenty of food stops on the RoK official and unofficial. Have a few euros in your pocket if you want to do a shop stop. No one ever went hungry on the RoK.

would it be worth bringing a small hipbag flask

FYP - and the answer would always be yes :) you can't beat a drop of the aul crater!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Went for a 90km spin last night. Really felt it after but glad I got out! Bring on the ring

thehamo wrote: »
    Went for a 90km spin last night. Really felt it after but glad I got out! Bring on the ring

Good stuff. I did 80km on Sunday and 31km on monday. Hoping to do 120km next Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭youtheman

Well I don't know about you folks, but I've been thumbing the roseary beads lately trying to influence the man above to grant us some good weather for the ROK. And my prayers might not be in vain !!!!!.

If you look at the follwing site http://www.weather-forecast.com/maps/Ireland , click on 'Weather Map', and drag the button over until it shows 7th July, lo-and-behold they are predicting some 'reasonably' fine weather with some slack winds (if I reading it correctly).

You might not need to carry sun block, but at least I think I can leave the Parka at home.

So come one everone, offer up a few prayers and lets get it sorted !.

should we start dividing up the known gods for supplications, cover all bases so to speak?

• Advertisement

Would a long cycle next thur July 5th be bad before ring of Kerry or should I do a short cycle on that day?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement