Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ring of Kerry 2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 D shelly

Im no expert but you should try and get a long one in this weekend and do a short one during the week as i said im no expert as this is my first ROK
    So my question is what time to start at and as im doing it by myself im just wondering is there anyone who would let me tag along with them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Sincerely Hope the training is going well for all doing the Ring of Kerry Cycle 2012, Best of Luck Everyone :) x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

D shelly wrote: »
    Im no expert but you should try and get a long one in this weekend and do a short one during the week as i said im no expert as this is my first ROK
    So my question is what time to start at and as im doing it by myself im just wondering is there anyone who would let me tag along with them

I'll be doing a decent cycle this weekend (around 100 Km) and rest up til the 7th but everyone has their own regime. Regarding starting time well the first groups will be on the roads about 6 am and after that especially from 7 it will be all systems go in Killarney, there are over 7,000 registered to do the cycle so you should have no problem falling in with a group along the way, there is always mighty craic so finding a few companions should be no problem. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

should we start dividing up the known gods for supplications, cover all bases so to speak?

Just as long as nobody says a prayer th Thor :eek:

Going to aim for 100k this coming Sunday and maybe 60 on Tuesday evening. All will be aimed at hill climbing up the Sally Gap. Going to Kerry on Thursday and was thinking of a short spin 20k or so on Friday afternoon to warm the legs up, am I mad? I'm only new at this cycling mayhem!

By all means you can tag along with us, just 2 of us at the moment and would hope to avg 25kmph (till we get to mills gap anyway). We are going to enjoy the day though and make the most of the food stops along the way!:pac:

Edit, should of mentioned we will probably try and head off about 7.30

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

i see a grupetto forming here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

stevieob wrote: »

Going to aim for 100k this coming Sunday and maybe 60 on Tuesday evening. All will be aimed at hill climbing up the Sally Gap. Going to Kerry on Thursday and was thinking of a short spin 20k or so on Friday afternoon to warm the legs up, am I mad? I'm only new at this cycling mayhem!

By all means you can tag along with us, just 2 of us at the moment and would hope to avg 25kmph (till we get to mills gap anyway). We are going to enjoy the day though and make the most of the food stops along the way!:pac:

Edit, should of mentioned we will probably try and head off about 7.30

My plan so is to do around 120 km Sunday. Route undecided. Tuesday 50km Thursday 30km and hope for the best on that Saturday. I actually know people that haven't nothing done for this so dont feel too bad then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

I actually know people that haven't nothing done for this....

Feel free to add me to that list!

Tried to go out last night after a crap day in office only to fail to unclip and fall off bike at lights and ended up landing headfirst in an oversized potted plant - much to the bewilderment and amusement of all the motorists about.... Called it a night after that just one of those days...

Roll on next weekend though!

(Though is "haven't nothing" not a double negative?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

when checking in on the Friday night there is a note about handing over the money you raised at the same time. If collecting using mycharity.ie do they need something to verify that you have collected money (e.g. a printout) or are they sophisticated enough to automatically match me and my mycharity account?

BailMeOut wrote: »
    when checking in on the Friday night there is a note about handing over the money you raised at the same time. If collecting using mycharity.ie do they need something to verify that you have collected money (e.g. a printout) or are they sophisticated enough to automatically match me and my mycharity account?

+1 I was wondering the same

• Advertisement

I was thinking of donating 100 euro myself and not getting sponsorship. What do I do when I arrive in Friday night to Scott's? Do I just write my name on sponsorship card along with my 100 euro?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

teednab-el wrote: »
    I was thinking of donating 100 euro myself and not getting sponsorship. What do I do when I arrive in Friday nite to Scott's? Do I just write my name on sponsorship card along with my 100 euro?

That should be fine id say, they will be glad to take the cash.
    I know people that have done this before.

As for a last week spin distance, for a 200km cycle a 100km long cycle a week before and a total of 150km including this long cycle would be recommended in the last week of a ten week training programme.
    Not sure what would be recommended for a one week training programme :)

Grassey wrote: »

I actually know people that haven't nothing done for this....

Feel free to add me to that list!

Tried to go out last night after a crap day in office only to fail to unclip and fall off bike at lights and ended up landing headfirst in an oversized potted plant - much to the bewilderment and amusement of all the motorists about.... Called it a night after that just one of those days...

Roll on next weekend though!

(Though is "haven't nothing" not a double negative?)

Not to worry the joys of cycling. Lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

The lad I was going to do it with has pulled out last minute so il be doing it on my own again this year. Fecker has left me with a 4 bed dorm room to my self now aswell!

Only thing that bothered me about being on my own was at the end of it when there was no one to have a pint with at the finish line!!!

thehamo wrote: »
    Only thing that bothered me about being on my own was at the end of it when there was no one to have a pint with at the finish line!!!

I'll have a pint with you.... Feck it sure I'll even have 2 or 3:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

I am also riding solo on this and would be happy to meet up with a few heads for the trip around, would like to get around nicely without killing myself or racing around, want to enjoy this one. I would certainly be up for having a few pints with some heads at the end.

Let me know who wants to hook up and travel together

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Early forecasts for next weekend are pretty good, high pressure, dry, calm, jaysus we'll be in shock if we get good weather after our so called "summer" :D. Fingers crossed it's on the mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Masala

Hope I am not jinxing things... but this is a Kenmare forecast I found for next week by the Norwegians of all people!!

http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Munster/Kenmare/long.html

.....lets see how Mon to Fri follows the above before we believe Sat!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

www.yr.no is a reliable site alright. Predictions for next saturday are:

Killarney@7am: Temp=15c, Rain=0.1mm, Wind=2m/s North
    Killorglin: Temp=16c, Rain=0.0mm, Wind=2m/s North
    Glenbeigh: Temp=15c, Rain=0.0mm, Wind=2m/s North
    Cahersiveen: Temp=15c, Rain=0.0mm, Wind=3m/s North/Norh East (Food)
    Waterville: Temp=16c, Rain=0.0mm, Wind=5m/s North
    Caherdaniel: Temp=16c, Rain=0.0mm, Wind=4m/s North
    Sneem: Temp=18c, Rain=0.0mm, Wind=4m/s North
    Kenmare: Temp=19c, Rain=0.2mm, Wind=2m/s North (Food)
    Killarney: Temp=21c, Rain=0.2mm, Wind=5m/s North

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭nilhg

Early forecasts for next weekend are pretty good, high pressure, dry, calm, jaysus we'll be in shock if we get good weather after our so called "summer" :D. Fingers crossed it's on the mark.
    Masala wrote: »
    Hope I am not jinxing things... but this is a Kenmare forecast I found for next week by the Norwegians of all people!!

http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Munster/Kenmare/long.html

.....lets see how Mon to Fri follows the above before we believe Sat!!
    macnab wrote: »
    www.yr.no is a reliable site alright. Predictions for next saturday are:

Killarney@7am: Temp=15c, Rain=0.1mm, Wind=2m/s North
    Killorglin: Temp=16c, Rain=0.0mm, Wind=2m/s North
    Glenbeigh: Temp=15c, Rain=0.0mm, Wind=2m/s North
    Cahersiveen: Temp=15c, Rain=0.0mm, Wind=3m/s North/Norh East (Food)
    Waterville: Temp=16c, Rain=0.0mm, Wind=5m/s North
    Caherdaniel: Temp=16c, Rain=0.0mm, Wind=4m/s North
    Sneem: Temp=18c, Rain=0.0mm, Wind=4m/s North
    Kenmare: Temp=19c, Rain=0.2mm, Wind=2m/s North (Food)
    Killarney: Temp=21c, Rain=0.2mm, Wind=5m/s North

And this morning it's all changed for the worse....

Looking through the various models (weather ones:D) the general situation looks clear enough, a big, fairly slack low pressure system is going to hang around for most of the week and into the weekend, high pressure will be building in the Atlantic trying to push eastwards but never quite making it. The various models all have slightly different outcomes for Saturday next with the position of the LP varying from over us still to northeast to northwest, all of which give different weather.

The actual situation probably won't be clear till Thursday or so but I'll be packing my raingear, better to be looking at it than looking for it on Saturday morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Tourman

Hi
    I did my last long ride today (100KM). I plan shorter rides on tues and thurs . What is the prevailing wisdom on training in the week of the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 redoak

Hi Tourman I plan to do a few 20,30 km's mon,tue,but then rest up .My old left knee gives out a bit .I did a trip around lough derg about 150 km ,about 3 weeks ago but have'nt done much since,My only worry is im working nights at the moment and find it hard to sleep on my nights off so if i get it wrong and dont sleep friday night ,ill never make it around sat.Also my cycling buddy was knocked off her bike today so im on my own ,thank god she's ok .BEST OF LUCK TO ALL ,this is my first event .Everyone I know thats fortyish is trying to keep fit ,sign of the times .

Tourman wrote: »
    Hi
    I did my last long ride today (100KM). I plan shorter rides on tues and thurs . What is the prevailing wisdom on training in the week of the event.

One more 50k spin and you should be ok, would get it done before mid week then rest up, enjoy.

One more 50k spin and you should be ok, would get it done before mid week then rest up, enjoy.

Would it be too late to leave my final spin on Thursday?

Would it be too late to leave my final spin on Thursday?

Depends on the gradient, wind and the pace you do it at, once you dont go flat to the mat then it should be fine.
    The high pressure met eireann have been hinting at next weekend does not look like coming any closer going by tonights weather models, i think it could be another mixed bag weather wise.
    Enjoy the day anyway.

Depends on the gradient, wind and the pace you do it at, once you dont go flat to the mat then it should be fine.
    The high pressure met eireann have been hinting at next weekend does not look like coming any closer going by tonights weather models, i think it could be another mixed bag weather wise.
    Enjoy the day anyway.

It will be a 30km trek but only doing it to warm up the legs for Saturday.

It will be a 30km trek but only doing it to warm up the legs for Saturday.

You'll be grand so, the barm brack at the feed stations will get you through anyway:D

I emailed the organizers and they said that you need your sponsorship card and a printout of your MyCharity.ie page when registering.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Frere Jacques

But do you have to hand over your card and cash at the registration or do they just want to see your card and take down the amount you have raised for their records.
    What do you do if you haven't all the money collected in advance. In my case I wish to collect for Build4life and want to drop the card with the cash to one of the reps I know from B4L.
    If anyone knows the story let me know, otherwise I can contact the organisers.

Sorry if this was asked before, but if the start line is near the Brehon, do I get my number the night before, cycle out from the B&B in the morning and go under the official start and then cycle back into towards town and off to Kilorglan??. I'm a first timer but is there somewhere where you have to sign out and sign back in when you are finished or is it much more informal, i.e., can I just leave from the B&B in the center of Killarney and avoid huge crowds at the start line.
    As for training, will do a 50km Wednesday night and start my 75% (give or take) carbs diet then till Friday night. Weekabix saturday morning and a banana at the start line. That's the plan anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭snottybridge

Far as i know the start is from the racecourse and youll cross the finish line across the road from the Brehon,if youre signing in the night before and you get youre number id imagine you could just head off yourself that morning,no need to actually go to the start line.

But do you have to hand over your card and cash at the registration or do they just want to see your card and take down the amount you have raised for their records.
    What do you do if you haven't all the money collected in advance. In my case I wish to collect for Build4life and want to drop the card with the cash to one of the reps I know from B4L.
    If anyone knows the story let me know, otherwise I can contact the organisers.

I guess they just need to see the card and will take money if you have it on the day. The sponsorship card does says you have until 31st July 2012 to get the money to them.

You can register from 6pm to 9pm on Friday on Scotts Street and from 6am to 7:45am on Sat morning at the Racecourse.

Did you get an email from the organizers yesterday with these details?

Novice question here but do the hotels in Killarney typically let you take your bike to your room? If not what do you do to safe guard it at night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Ive a spare registration for this if anyone wants it.

Novice question here but do the hotels in Killarney typically let you take your bike to your room? If not what do you do to safe guard it at night?

I hope so because I was planning on doing just that!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Frere Jacques

Yep, intend to take mine up the room. Maybe wheels first and frame after. I got the email today about the terms and conditions so I suppose it should be fine just to bring my card to the sign in on Friday.
    I'll see what the crowd is like on the way out the Muckross Rd on Saturday. I suppose it would be nice to go under the start banner just to click the stop watch and take a photo but if it is mad out there I'll turn around and head for Kilorglin.

Thanks all.
    Be careful out there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I've stayed in tonnes of hotels with my bike. Invariably they'll lock it up somewhere for you. On occasions when they haven't done that, I've been told to just take it up for the room. I've yet to encounter a hotel that refused to accommodate my bike.

just read the email and it states

• Public Liability Insurance Cover is provided by Cycling Ireland. Join Cycling Ireland for €15 and see benefits @ www.cyclingireland.ie.

do i have to sign up for this? is it compulsory or by choice? it does not specify

it also states

• Sign in will be possible on the eve of the cycle from 6.00pm - 9pm on Scotts Street which is accessible from East Avenue Road and College Street

so is there a sign in desk in the middle of the street somewhere or at an actual address on the street? again, it does not specify

just read the email and it states

• Public Liability Insurance Cover is provided by Cycling Ireland. Join Cycling Ireland for €15 and see benefits @ www.cyclingireland.ie.

do i have to sign up for this? is it compulsory or by choice? it does not specify

it also states

• Sign in will be possible on the eve of the cycle from 6.00pm - 9pm on Scotts Street which is accessible from East Avenue Road and College Street

so is there a sign in desk in the middle of the street somewhere or at an actual address on the street? again, it does not specify

Scott's Street is a short modern looking pedestrian street where Scotts hotel is located. Pretty sure the sign in desks will be just there in middle of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Once you get to Scott Street (which is quite a short street) you won't miss the sign in office, it's usually a rented shop on the street but just look for the queue and join in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I'd take it if possible. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

I've just cancelled my accomodation booking at the Gleneagle for Fri and Sat night if anyone is still after last minute accomodation. Don't want to think what they will charge you though:eek:

Unfortunately my back is still no good so after everything I won't be riding the Ring this year:(

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

vektarman wrote: »
    Once you get to Scott Street (which is quite a short street) you won't miss the sign in office, it's usually a rented shop on the street but just look for the queue and join in.

You wont miss the queue outside it ...

siblers wrote: »

I'd take it if possible. :)

Tis yours

What's the story with insurance?

What's the story with insurance?
    Insurance?
    I presume if you want to purchase it you can I doubt it's mandatory? I'm a first timer on the ROK so Im in the dark but will plead the 4th or is it the 5th ah sure insanity will always win out.....

what time are you peeps heading off at?

Insurance?
    I presume if you want to purchase it you can I doubt it's mandatory? I'm a first timer on the ROK so Im in the dark but will plead the 4th...

I was referring to my previous post about the email ROK sent out which mentions insurance, but doesn't state if you must have it or if it is optional

what time are you peeps heading off at?
    Early as possible but it will depend on sign in and if I can get down early enough Friday evening. Over 7000 registered for it.

Insurance?
    I presume if you want to purchase it you can I doubt it's mandatory? I'm a first timer on the ROK so Im in the dark but will plead the 4th...

I was referring to my previous post about the email ROK sent out which mentions insurance, but doesn't state if you must have it or if it is optional
    I must read my email the most recent one I got was for voting on Today FM

Early as possible but it will depend on sign in and if I can get down early enough Friday evening. Over 7000 registered for it.

hopefully set off at 7ish, dont want to be billy no mates on the road at 6am eating sandwiches on my tobler!:D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement