Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ring of Kerry 2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

According to today's kerrryman newspaper there are now 9000 registered for the ring. minutes silence at 7 am for the cyclist killed during the week. stay safe.

That's a nice touch, it's a sobering thought that he was doing the same training/spins that we are all doing but is unfortunately now dead after a hit & run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

guym wrote: »
    Does anyone know can my buddy sign in for me on the Friday night if I give him my sponsorhip money & other details. I can't make it down on the Friday night but want to be on the road for 6am Saturday morning and sign in doesn't open 'till 6am.

Thanks

Someone else asked the same question on the facebook page and the answer was yes, that's ok. Just make sure you give them your entry ticket etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭guym

mel.b wrote: »
    Someone else asked the same question on the facebook page and the answer was yes, that's ok. Just make sure you give them your entry ticket etc.

Thanks Mel, that's great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

right so folks, i plan on starting off at about 7 am or so and will be going around at about an average 20kmph pace. If anyone wants to meet up and do parts of the cycle together let me know (or if there is a group of ye doing it already)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Any locals know of a pub that might stick on the Tour if enough people are willing to turn up? I would have thought ANY pub, but are there any pubs that are sport friendly, i.e. large screens, ample seating, hot tub out back (different kind of sport).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭kingdomlad

Id say our best bet is the bar in Scotts Hotel in the centre of town. They have live music from 6pm in the courtyard and they are also putting on special menu prices for all cyclists after the ring. If enough of us show up they should look after us with The Tour id say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

Can you register on the day ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Seres wrote: »
    Can you register on the day ?
    http://www.ringofkerrycycle.ie/information.php
    Short of there being a rep for the cycle on here, or ringing them, I don't think you'll get better info than the info page on their website.

If there really is 9000 people doing some or all of it, then the admin side of it is going to be way slower than usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Fintydingdong

I tried posting this in the other thread.

Is there somewhere to shower after the ring? I don't want to hop into the car after hours of cycling, and I am not staying down on the sat night.

Is there somewhere to shower after the ring? I don't want to hop into the car after hours of cycling, and I am not staying down on the sat night.

Not sure officially, but last year I just went back to the B&B (which I had already checked out of) who were minding the cars and bags, and used a shower in there before I hit the road. Might as well ask!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Big thanks to the Noble Judge for posting me down an entrance ticket. Lesson learnt for next year :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Any locals know of a pub that might stick on the Tour if enough people are willing to turn up? I would have thought ANY pub, but are there any pubs that are sport friendly, i.e. large screens, ample seating, hot tub out back (different kind of sport).

Murphys bar on College street, near Scotts. It has more screens than Scotts

• Registered Users Posts: 10 D shelly

thehamo wrote: »
    right so folks, i plan on starting off at about 7 am or so and will be going around at about an average 20kmph pace. If anyone wants to meet up and do parts of the cycle together let me know (or if there is a group of ye doing it already)

Hi doing it solo to id be on for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭kingdomlad

From what i know showers are available at the leisure centre at The Gleneagle Hotel, but you should phone them to be sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

Weather forecast is looking better than I expected!
    http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Munster/Killarney/hour_by_hour.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Not bad, a few light showers, i can live with that, don't want a repeat of the Burren, 5 hours of heavy rain, especially descending molls gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭poolboy

Nisio wrote: »
    Weather forecast is looking better than I expected!
    http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Munster/Killarney/hour_by_hour.html

RTE just forecast gaelforce winds for saturday.:( I like your forecast better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭meercat

poolboy wrote: »
    RTE just forecast gaelforce winds for saturday.:( I like your forecast better

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/county.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭regress

Interesting to note that with thousands registered that there is still accommodation available. B&B in Killarney called Beauty's Home unable to get anyone to take their "triple" room for only €135 a night. Europe Hotel set prices too high and have lots of €225 a night rooms left. And plenty of free beds in the An Oige Hostel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

How are non-drivers transporting their bikes to & from Dublin?

Fortunately I have a lift down to Kerry so that's not a problem.
    I've booked a train home from Killarney on the Sunday, direct to Dublin - only to find out I couldn't book my bike on, and that I have to hope to be one of the lucky ones who gets one of the three spots for bikes on the train! How can there only be 3 spaces for bikes?

Is there no common sense involved, the Ring Of Kerry is on - would it not be an idea to accommodate more bikes than usual? Basically if I don't get my bike on the train, I cant get on! What's the point in booking the train!!

Welcome to Ireland of the 21st Century. I have been badgering Irish Rail about this for the last month and got absolutely nowhere. The cycle organisers contacted Irish Rail at my prompting and got some kind of proposal that you could get a number of bikes as far as Mallow on the Cork train and that they would look at some other means of getting bikes from there to Killarney for an additional charge (probably a cattle truck). Fortunately a friend at work is giving me a lift down and back instead.
    I suspect you will get talking to plenty of people on the Ring and hopefully find one with spare space for you and the bike. Enjoy the day and keep hassling Irish Rail and their founders, the Dept. of Transport.

As much as i hate the rain, cycling against the wind(never mind a gaelforce) is a nightmare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

D shelly wrote: »
    thehamo wrote: »

Hi doing it solo to id be on for that

Il be on a black felt bike, gold helmet. At the Ross hotel on main st til abt 7.15. Il head off then :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Great start to the weekend...

Cheers to the lads in irish Rail who sorted me out after I (oh so stupidly) left my gear bag with all my cycling kit and laptop on the train this morning! That's what I get for going into work early!

Ah sure its all uphill from here!

See ye down there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

According to this forecast, the best of the day will be early on.
    I'm heading out at 6.00am.

http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Other/Killarney_National_Park/hour_by_hour.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭meercat

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I'm heading out at 6.00am.

you and 9,000 others so:D
    im heading early too
    safe cycling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭okane1

Leaving at 6.10, meeting my club outside the Europe.
    Looking forwarded to it, will be my first time. Saw hi if you see me, Killarney jersey, black Canyon Roadlite 6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Weather great this morning, 5 of us just heading put to Dingle to cycle the Conor pass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

9000 cyclists starting between 6 and 9 = 3000/hr

length of a road bike (guestimate) 2 metres
    width of a road bike (guestimate) 0.5 metres
    road width (1 lane) 3.5 metres (google)
    fits 7 bikes across

9000 bikes all starting at the same time 7 bikes wide (oh the ROTR!!) is a bike "snake" 2.5 km long!

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

Can any previous participants give a quick overview of the route, at what point are the little bumps along the way, Merci.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Hi, just wondering is there any need to bring a spare folding tyre along.

• Advertisement

Andalucia wrote: »
    Can any previous participants give a quick overview of the route, at what point are the little bumps along the way, Merci.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/966567

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

Looking forward to this, I managed to get a entry no. of someone who wasn't using it. Also looks like we might get lucky with the weather :D

With 9000 registered, I presume the traffic and parking are going to be a bit of a problem. What happened in previous years, parking in fields?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Lashtown

We have two spare beds in a four bed dorm in the railway hostel in killarney fri/sat night 18 euro/night. two of our group cant make it. pm me if interested.

(am hitting the road @ 3pm.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭nilhg

In Adare heading down, impressive amount of bikes to be seen on the M7 even at this stage.

Chapeau too to the fella with the bike on the back of his 71D car, both look immaculate.

Dubba wrote: »
    Looking forward to this, I managed to get a entry no. of someone who wasn't using it. Also looks like we might get lucky with the weather :D

With 9000 registered, I presume the traffic and parking are going to be a bit of a problem. What happened in previous years, parking in fields?

If you get there early (before7) there might be a space in the racecourse but these are restricted by availability , otherwise it's first come first served throughout Killarney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭ustazjoseph

Andalucia wrote: »

Im of the old and slow variety but for me:The first five k out of killarney can seem weird , trying to find a rhythm etc- the long drag through caherciveen seemed long.. coom na ciste is slow but looks worse than it is, the descent magnificent. sneem to kennmare is a dead road. there's a section round templnoe seems to go on forever. eat those jelly babies. Molls towards the end of the day with the knowledge that the greyhounds are showered and drinking pints in killarney can be daunting. there's a quarry road off to the left. its not your road . it looks long in the distance. After molls theres a grand descent .Ive had my spirits sag on some of the small mhills on the approach to killarney. dont worry you ll get round. - wont be there this year - collar bone -enjoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

coom na ciste is slow but looks worse than it is, the descent magnificent.
    +1. The descent from the Coom is breathtaking, almost joyous in fact.

Hope the weather holds up for you all tomorrow. Wish I was there....:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34 janney5

Lashtown wrote: »
    We have two spare beds in a four bed dorm in the railway hostel in killarney fri/sat night 18 euro/night. two of our group cant make it. pm me if interested.

(am hitting the road @ 3pm.)

PM sent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Trek1000

After driving from Dublin but left my registration number at home.

Any ideas what I can do?

Should be ok with my name and email confirm I suppose?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

a few shekels to their coffers should see you sorted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Trek1000

Trek1000 wrote: »
    After driving from Dublin but left my registration number at home.

Any ideas what I can do?

Should be ok with my name and email confirm I suppose?

Thanks
    All sorted!! Best of luck to all

Would it be a bad idea to bring my mp3 player with me? Always use it when I cycle but not sure if it will go down well with so many other cyclists out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Rumour is that Enda has just arrived in town and pulled his motor up on double yellows. I just hope he is not blocking a bike lane in the process!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

siblers wrote: »
    Would it be a bad idea to bring my mp3 player with me? Always use it when I cycle but not sure if it will go down well with so many other cyclists out there.

Bad form I'm afraid. It's dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭Smith614

nilhg wrote: »
    In Adare heading down, impressive amount of bikes to be seen on the M7 even at this stage.

Chapeau too to the fella with the bike on the back of his 71D car, both look immaculate.
    Just seen it now parked outside the quality hotel in pride of place. Nice car.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Jcarroll07

Just passed the start point and the rain seems to have stopped for the moment hope it stays that way fingers crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

This post has been deleted.

Problem with using smartphone is you'd hardly get 8 hours of battery life when using cycle meter, well not on my htc desire anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Lads is there any need of bringing Allen keys? I don't have anywhere to put them. My saddle bag is too small and I'm not bringing my hip bag with me, the ring is too long to have that up on my back all day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 D shelly

Hi all hope everybody is tucked up in bed by now to be ready for the morning Id squeeze them allen keys in if you can Im heading solo from the gleneagles at around half six if anyone wants to tag along ill be on a black giant defy and black and red abbott top and just remember guys be safe out there and enjoy

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement