Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ring of Kerry 2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

Smashing day out.
    Started out with just two but got a lovely group of 4 others who (unusually for a sportife) stayted with each other whole day round. One of them was 63 and was ultra strong.

Roll time of 5:40 which was considerably quicker than last year. Check out the "Ode to the Ring" written after event this year (not by me!) -sums it up the numbers!

Twas a serpent that I saw, gan dabht!
    10,000 scales in every colour shining through the gloom
    It hummed and squeaked and clicked and whooshed and screeched,
    As it slithered up and o’er the mighty Coom.

‘Twas a river that I saw, gan dabht!
    A 100 mile torrent, no mere stream!
    It glistened as it eddied and meandered,
    Even up the hill from Castlecove towards Sneem!

‘Twas an anthill that I saw, gan dabht!
    Lycra-cladded bugs that clacked on cleats.
    In and out of Topaz the army swarmed,
    Emerging with elixirs, bars and treats!

‘Twas a train that I saw, gan dabht!
    It roared down tracks from Molls with windswept faces.
    For hours the carriages emptied at the Glen,
    To cheers and smiles and hugs and warm embraces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Funkyzeit wrote: »
    Smashing day out.
    Started out with just two but got a lovely group of 4 others who (unusually for a sportife) stayted with each other whole day round. One of them was 63 and was ultra strong.

Hi Funkyzeit, I think, I was in that group with you, that 63 year old, you mention, rings a bell. I was the bearded young man(61), that started with him.
    That was a really lovely little group, that we got going. I enjoyed the company.
    That was my 2nd time doing the ROK, I improved my time by more than an hour.
    Next year, same time, same place??

Eamonn.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Toastbongo

Smith614 wrote: »
    Just seen it now parked outside the quality hotel in pride of place. Nice car.

The car in question belongs to my father, the bike is an old Vitus, the car an NSU prinze 1000 and he happens to be 76 years young. He completed the event with my self and my brother in 7 hrs rolling time. It was a great family event for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

Also my first time doing the RoK this year. Only thing I noticed was the amount of, what looked like, "seasoned cyclists" completely abusing even basic cycling ettiquette, mainly passing on the inside. I've seen too many crashes that are caused by people passing on the inside. Or maybe I'm just over sensitive? :D

Apart from that, the whole event was very well run and the amount of food available at the Gleneagle was unf**kingbelievable!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Second time out on ROK. Was debating weather or not to do it but I just said feck it roll with it. Left at 7.30ish and finished at 3.45 ish so not a bad time. Made a conscious decision not to take long at the stops like I did last year, only properly stopped at cahirisaveen and sneem. Knowing what to expect definitely makes a huge difference. Last year sneem to kenmare nearly broke my heart but didn't find it too bad this year. Much easier up molls gap, had to laugh at the amount of "oh for f*** sakes" that I cycled passed. Again the cycle into Killarney was much easier cause I knew what to expect. Had to mates waiting for me at the finish line to cheer me on but I cycled straight past the two of them in deep conversation didn't even notice me goin by!

Had a slight gripe with some of the club cyclist bullying a few people off the road, tearing down at a rate of knots. Staying in the other lane even though there were cars coming up the road. Even saw one poor girl being roared at because she didn't move out of the way in time. It's not a timed race so stop treatin it like one. My two cents anyway!

thehamo wrote: »
    had to laugh at the amount of "oh for f*** sakes" that I cycled passed.
    LOL I remember at one stage of the drag into Kenmare I passed a group of women and one of the shouted "Oh holy Jesus" when I passed.... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Had a slight gripe with some of the club cyclist bullying a few people off the road, tearing down at a rate of knots. Staying in the other lane even though there were cars coming up the road. Even saw one poor girl being roared at because she didn't move out of the way in time. It's not a timed race so stop treatin it like one. My two cents anyway!

If I may, while it's not a race, the amount of people who cycled out near the white line when there was nothing but empty space to their left was staggering. No matter how good you are, there will always be someone moving faster than you at some point, it's not hard for people to keep left. If you aren't moving up, there is no reason to hug the middle of the road. That's nothing to do with racing or experience, it's basic cyclecraft and something that was sorely lacking. You don't have to be a formula 1 driver to know that hogging the outside lane of a motorway is going to get you beeped.

It's a bit of fun, but for some people (as can be seen here with people posting improved times over previous years) it's fun to get around as quick as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭thewatch

those motorcycle marshals are some sexy beasts :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

DirkVoodoo wrote: »

If I may, while it's not a race, the amount of people who cycled out near the white line when there was nothing but empty space to their left was staggering. No matter how good you are, there will always be someone moving faster than you at some point, it's not hard for people to keep left. If you aren't moving up, there is no reason to hug the middle of the road. That's nothing to do with racing or experience, it's basic cyclecraft and something that was sorely lacking. You don't have to be a formula 1 driver to know that hogging the outside lane of a motorway is going to get you beeped.

It's a bit of fun, but for some people (as can be seen here with people posting improved times over previous years) it's fun to get around as quick as possible.

Agreed, but not all people on the ring were seasond cyclists in fact I would say vast majority. They wouldnt understand some of the cycling eticate they were out for an enjoyable day. It's not meant to be a sportif an there is definitely no need to be shouting somebody off the road. Plus some of the cycling from the clubs was borderline wreckless, as was that from the less experienced. Anyway, it was only a small gripe, vast majority of clubs were grand, maybe it's just me being jealous they were zipping past me effortlessly! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

Eamonnator wrote: »

Hi Funkyzeit, I think, I was in that group with you, that 63 year old, you mention, rings a bell. I was the bearded young man(61), that started with him.
    That was a really lovely little group, that we got going. I enjoyed the company.
    That was my 2nd time doing the ROK, I improved my time by more than an hour.
    Next year, same time, same place??

Eamonn.

Jaysus Eamonn you are 61?! Wft is in the water in Drogheda! Yourself and Liam were brilliant company and incredibly strong regardless of age (my garmin had us averaging 30kph on the nose) Defo meet up next year. I'll PM you my details.
    Pat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

There was a large majority of the unattached rider populous that have a lot to learn about how to cycle well and in a group. Simple basic things like physically or verbally indicating your intention to move in, out, overtake, and most importantly brake or stop were by and large absent, never mind pointing out potholes, hazards or road furniture or responding to a polite call of 'rider up'. Besides correct road positioning there's an awful lot they could stand to learn from joining a club (or at least imitating them). Correct etiquette isn't just for the fitter, trained and ultimately faster cyclists, it's for the safety of all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Agreed, but not all people on the ring were seasond cyclists in fact I would say vast majority. They wouldnt understand some of the cycling eticate they were out for an enjoyable day. It's not meant to be a sportif an there is definitely no need to be shouting somebody off the road

There were a few funny exchanges alright. Most often it would go like this:

Faster cyclist passing on right: "Keep left!"
    Slower cyclist hugging white line: "No, how about you keep right!"

:D

The most common scenario was two riders cycling together whilst chatting, separated by about 2 metres, probably because they felt comfortable with that distance.

Etiquette aside, I think that pressuring people to cycle closer than they are comfortable is likely to cause more problems than it solves.

The obvious solution is to cycle slower. What's the rush? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

CheGuedara wrote: »
    There was a large majority of the unattached rider populous that have a lot to learn about how to cycle well and in a group. Simple basic things like physically or verbally indicating your intention to move in, out, overtake, and most importantly brake or stop were by and large absent, never mind pointing out potholes, hazards or road furniture or responding to a polite call of 'rider up'. Besides correct road positioning there's an awful lot they could stand to learn from joining a club (or at least imitating them). Correct etiquette isn't just for the fitter, trained and ultimately faster cyclists, it's for the safety of all.

I would have no problem admitting I have never been involved in a club or learned proper cycling etiquette and its something I should probably brush up on, However I do honestly feel I am not a danger to anyone on the road and would be very aware of my position and other cyclists around me at all times, a lot of it should be common sense. It certainly wouldn't hurt to have more etiquette and I fully agree basics should be there for everyone of all abilities for everyones safety.

That said if I was to knit pick on anything over the weekend it would have been the larger team groups flying past people and cutting across them. On more than a few occasions I saw dangerous silly overtaking endangering other less experienced cyclist and others around them. That said other groups went passed and were very respectful, grateful etc for others making way for them. I agree that everyone should have a level but more experienced cyclists should be able to acknowledge a situation and give a wider birth to less experienced cyclist, I did it and I am far from experienced.

Overall with the sheer volume involved you will get mixed feelings on the day of groups, experienced cyclists, beginners etc. All that should matter is people get home safely and money gets raised with people enjoying themselves. Nobody should be shouted at from anyone else just put up with it for the day thats in it.

Just my two cents

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

It was my fourth Ring of Kerry. It's a spin I always really enjoy. I love the fact that unlike most other events, it attracts the whole gamut of cyclists from the folks in football jerseys on hybrids to the racing cyclists. The sheer number of people on the road adds to the sense of occasion. You hit Coomakista or Moll's Gap and look up to see an endless line of coloured figures, stretching out across the hillside.

Did it with my sister, Lumen, DirkVoodoo, What's a Deraileur and a few other Orwellers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭paulgalway

Correct etiquette isn't just for the fitter, trained and ultimately faster cyclists, it's for the safety of all.

Didn't do the ROK as I am just been cycling, on a Hybrid, for a short period of time. However, in the future I hope to do some sportives.

Perhaps, someone could list the main points of etiquette required or links to a website/post.

I know joing a cc would be of benefit, but not everyone have road bikes and would feel out of place in a club.

paulgalway wrote: »
    Didn't do the ROK as I am just been cycling, on a Hybrid, for a short period of time. However, in the future I hope to do some sportives.

Perhaps, someone could list the main points of etiquette required or links to a website/post.

I know joing a cc would be of benefit, but not everyone have road bikes and would feel out of place in a club.

Here you go! :D

Apart from all those, here! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

paulgalway wrote: »

This is the problem, there is nothing else except common sense needed to ride a sportive:

- Be predictable: Don't switch lines, you may end up taking a rider behind you down. If you want to overtake a slower rider, check behind you and move around gently.
    - Keep left if you're not moving up, don't block the outside of the lane for other riders if you can ride closer to the left of the road.
    - Call things: If you're pulling over in villages to stop for lunch, punctured or pointing out a hazard, let the people around you know, don't just swerve your bike.
    - Don't be a dick! No need to scream at people, ride against oncoming traffic or take a "natural break" in front of a picnicking family. Everyone wants to enjoy the day and get around safely, not spend the night in hospital.
    - Don't wear current pro-team gear, you never know when the Kerry rose might appear!

Honestly, this is all stuff that someone should know before getting on a bike, it doesn't require special club knowledge.

Don't wear current pro-team gear, you never know when the Kerry rose might appear

If you post that picture I will hunt you down and kill you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I would say the craic along the way was as good as previous years but there being part of a club seemed to earn you a mild hostility or a cold shoulder more often than a smile on the route (thanks new ROK committee!). After 12 occasions doing the event it's disappointing but I but chatted along where I could get camaraderie on the wheel.

What happened? I know they tried to make clubs leave earlier last year, but I didn't hear anything about that this year.

I was in a reasonably sized group, with half of us in club gear but nobody gave us any grief.

Lumen wrote: »

I was just about to post it myself actually. LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Boards.ie will protect you Dirk, just post the pic :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Signal_ rabbit

I agree with most of the comments on here that there were a few people not aware of other cyclists behind them. I had to shout on a descent, more for being heard than any other reason, at some fella who was also descending and using all of the lane and drifting into my line oblivious that there may be a cyclist coming down the hill as well, i.e me. He couldn't understand what the problem was despite the fact that he nearly had me off.

Whilst I appreciate that there were a lot of types of cyclists there inexperienced and experienced, I do think that a bit of common road sense should at least prevail.

That aside it was a great day with a good buzz. Hats off to the organisers and there must have been some team working through the night to make all those sambos!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

Eh, it was cold and wet. Also being on the saddle for 7+ hours doesn't appeal, why go slow by choice?

Dubba wrote: »
    Eh, it was cold and wet. Also being on the saddle for 7+ hours doesn't appeal, why go slow by choice?

It's more relaxing than attempting to re-educate 10,000 noobs. There are 364 other days of the year to race around the Ring.

If the participants enjoy their day they might do more cycling and join a group where they'll have it all explained to them.

Anyway, it wasn't cold. You've gone soft!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I blame Strava. If Strava didn't exist then people would amble about instead of trying to race in a non race. I mean none of these problems existed pre Strava.

I missed the ROK this year due to spending a rare weekend in Dublin.

I saw very very few cyclists on the way from the Sally to Wicklow Gaps.
    The lady in the hippy cafe enquired as to where all the cyclists were. She is missing the business.

Having four ROKs under my belt I can agree that it is a fantastic event - nothing like it. Got me back into cycling.
    The organisers instead of explaining that it is not a race could highlight more prominently the behaviour that is expected of participants.
    Something simple such as Keep Left Pass Right on all promotional literature would go some way.
    Glad ye all enjoyed it. As I live in the road to Molls Gap ye inconvenienced my wife and kids all day - so I hope it was worth it :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Soilse

What a great day out. Well organised, great hospitality and the amount of food -I think I gained another human in weight on sat. This was my longest spin ever so was a bit nervous heading out, no need, in fact I’d say I probably was over cautious for the first 60km taking it way too easy. Found it a lovely cycle from start to finish and it was great to see so many people there. Ireland is so deserted somedays I feel I have been abandoned to live a quiet life. Went into the bike shop in Sneem to get another gel or electrolyte sachet, poor guy hadn’t a clue what I was talking about…
    A friend had changed my bike setup slightly a week before and I suffered the consequences for not giving it a proper try out beforehand, greatest invention ever is ibuprofen gel was layering it on my shoulder and knees every hour and been trying to get through to a physio all morning. Would they really take Mondays off when the phone prob never stops ringing on Mondays over the summer
    An event to return to but this time I’ll leave my greedy self behind and just cycle next time.

Second time out at the ROK. Did it in 6 hours 42 cycling time which I'm happy enough with as I was hanging around with a mate who did the ROK as his second cycle of the year! Had a blast. Devoured my own weight in brack over the day I'd say, I brought some along with me (as well as some ham sandwiches) for Moll's Gap, went down a treat.

Think I passed Masala (based on your post!) at some point after the first stop, if you were in the new jersey. Saw another boardsie incognito wearing an old jersey with a wind breaker over it (was on a red Felt I think) at the top of Coomakista. Got a few boardsie calls from people, mainly at Molly D'arcy's around 5kms from Killarney while we sat outside having a sweet sweet pint in the sun.

I'll be back next year. Few pics:

IMAG0005_thumb_4.jpg IMAG0006_thumb_1.jpg IMAG0022_thumb_1.jpg IMAG0039_thumb.jpg IMAG0047_thumb_1.jpg IMAG0057_thumb.jpg IMAG0061_thumb_1.jpg IMAG0067_thumb_1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

It's more relaxing than attempting to re-educate 10,000 noobs. There are 364 other days of the year to race around the Ring.

If the participants enjoy their day they might do more cycling and join a group where they'll have it all explained to them.

Anyway, it wasn't cold. You've gone soft!

I'd no real issue with slower cyclist taking up the road, just passed them out when the right hand lane was clear, which was most of the time. My friend who I was cycling with did a few undertaking passes which was a bit dodgy come to think of and probably scared the bejesus of the slower people.

Anyway, I wasn't cold but would have been if I wasn't going as fast as possible. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Dónal wrote: »
    Saw another boardsie incognito wearing an old jersey with a wind breaker over it (was on a red Felt I think) at the top of Coomakista.

Probably myself :) completely missed you, must have been in my own little world after the climb!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

the little group i was in did a fair bit of over taking and our m.o. was simples.....

as we approached a group / pair whoever was in the lead would usually just ease off the pace and say something like "just going to go by you there on the left lads*"

And we'd take our time passing and exchange a few words. A few times people moved to the centre, but I think that was surprise rather than anything else.

We had one 'hostile' reaction from a group (all in the same garb, so I'll assume they were a club) who berated us saying it's not a race, and then proceeded to spread across the road in a 'down-with-this-sort-of-thing' gesture of defiance!

the one thing I would say about passing and being passed is that you get to meet loads of people that way and have a bit of banter which only adds to the day- the issue may be those groups (I only saw one) that whizz by, heads down like they're on a team time trial!

*in Kerry the word 'lads' can be applied to both genders:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

3 of us went around at a decent pace, came in around the 6 25 mark, as we approached a slower moving group on the road we would shout out "passing on your right" fairly loudly and almost most people would acknowledge us and wave us through.
    Although one guy in particular, blue polo shirt and light brown casual shorts was weaving around the road so much i reckon he did about 300 Kms on the day, i was glad i wasn't behind him descending molls gap!!
    I agree with ROK ON that Something simple such as Keep Left Pass Right on all promotional literature would go a long way to keeping people safe.
    I think there is a safety statement on the RoK site but it's no harm to highlight it nearer to the big day next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭Kerry Gooner

Found it easier getting round this year.
    Thought it much safer with the reduced traffic on the roads.
    Great massage had in Kenmare.
    Set up at finish line this year not as good as prior years, had to walk over the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭devotional1993

What a great event. Only my 2nd time doing it but well worth the trip. Got on the road about 730ish. Took me about 605 rolling or 620 including pit stops etc.

Atmosphere brilliant, great characters and craic. My restored 92 Raleigh steel behaved like a carbon fibre and climbed with the best of them. If I never see another Giant or a Trek ill live happily although I did see some nice steeds out there it has to be said. Saw a couple together on 2 gleaming red Planet x bikes. There's love for ya! Found it hard from about 80miles on but that's to be expected with 6 cycles in the whole year sofar..No big climbs, but Killarney seemed to be further away this year!

With such a wide range of ability ranges on the road, I feel it should be obvious that a lot of people aren't used to cycling in groups and allowances should be made for that.

I don't believe in roaring at people in these circumstances. By all means shout if you need to warn someone about an imminent danger but if you're trying to get by them quicker, you're just being a dick. Relax and overtake them when the right hand lane is clear. If you want to go fast, there are races on every weekend.

People will have varying levels of hazard perception. Someone used to riding in bunches will feel that passing someone with a few inches clearance isn't dangerous. Someone who isn't will feel panicked.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭shergar22

To be fair, it has always been promoted as a leisure cycle and there's 364 other days of the year for clubs to be posting personal bests around the Ring.
    I've no doubt that there was some bit of a cold shoulder from organisers. I remember fine well the comments last year on Boards when organisers sent out a letter to clubs asking them if they would leave early in order to avoid the scenario of a chain advancing on a crowd of leisure cyclists. The comments weren't at all positive or helpful and I've no doubt that the organisers got some of that feedback as well.
    The vast majority of people on the ROK have no interest or intention of joining a club, nor do they wish to learn to cycle in a group. They're out for the craic.
    If you're with a club on the ROK do the opposite of HTFU. STFD

shergar22 wrote: »
    To be fair, it has always been promoted as a leisure cycle and there's 364 other days of the year for clubs to be posting personal bests around the Ring.
    I've no doubt that there was some bit of a cold shoulder from organisers. I remember fine well the comments last year on Boards when organisers sent out a letter to clubs asking them if they would leave early in order to avoid the scenario of a chain advancing on a crowd of leisure cyclists. The comments weren't at all positive or helpful and I've no doubt that the organisers got some of that feedback as well.
    The vast majority of people on the ROK have no interest or intention of joining a club, nor do they wish to learn to cycle in a group. They're out for the craic.

What part of my post you quoted is it you feel is incorrect exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Heading to ROK of Kerry, if your in a club(as most of lads I knew down there wer) you know your going to be faster than 95% of other cyclist and it follows you will have to overtake 100's if not 1,000's of cyclists; most of whom have trained for ROK and won't be up on bike until next year.
    Why try to educate lads who are probably near their limit and struggle to finish?
    Not in club myself and managed to get around in 6hrs without shouting at anyone as did the majority of club lads I met on road, couple of exceptions encountered though.
    4th time doing ROK of Kerry, and 5th 100mile sportive this year and it would have to be at top of pile, fanastic day out, nothing to beat it for social aspect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭ustazjoseph

There were a few funny exchanges alright. Most often it would go like this:

Faster cyclist passing on right: "Keep left!"
    Slower cyclist hugging white line: "No, how about you keep right!"

:D

The most common scenario was two riders cycling together whilst chatting, separated by about 2 metres, probably because they felt comfortable with that distance.

Etiquette aside, I think that pressuring people to cycle closer than they are comfortable is likely to cause more problems than it solves.

True - unlike many other events there is a sense that the day belongs to the enthusiastic amateur. Some people get carried away by the day and forget the dangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭shergar22

What part of my post you quoted is it you feel is incorrect exactly?

No part. It's your opinion and therefore subjective. You are entitled to it. I simply hold a differing view and aired it as well.

• Advertisement

No part. It's your opinion and therefore subjective. You are entitled to it. I simply hold a differing view and aired it as well.

That's all well and good then, I'll continue to believe that safety on a bike and knowing how to be safe in a group is of paramount importance when taking part in mass participation cycling events and you can believe in whatever subjective thing it is you are entitled to believe in.

Why are you levying this at clubs? I saw a huge number of clubs on the road on Saturday and I can only say one of them was guilty of overly aggressive riding. The vast majority were organised, relaxed and there to enjoy a day out. I saw as much, if not more, dangerous or reckless riding from non-club riders.

Some representatives of all classes of riders were guilty of poor riding. To select the most easily identifiable class and single them out for attention is unfair and, more importantly, not really recognising the problem, which is different groups sharing the road with different abilities.

And I remember being quite surprised at the way the organisers were treating cycling clubs, as if everyone in a club jersey was guilty for the sins of a few. I found it a little insulting to be honest and it would have tempered my feelings towards the event if I'd encountered it in person.

Fortunately, every single person I met working on the ROK so far, from the people doing sign-on, to the marshals, to the people at the food stops, were nothing but incredibly supportive and nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Agreed, but not all people on the ring were seasond cyclists in fact I would say vast majority. They wouldnt understand some of the cycling eticate they were out for an enjoyable day. It's not meant to be a sportif an there is definitely no need to be shouting somebody off the road. Plus some of the cycling from the clubs was borderline wreckless, as was that from the less experienced. Anyway, it was only a small gripe, vast majority of clubs were grand, maybe it's just me being jealous they were zipping past me effortlessly! :p

Absolutely, i saw alot of wreckless overtaking by some cycling clubs members and some amateur cyclists too for that matter. I had one lassie who was a member of a cycling club shoot by me leaving about three inches between her handlebars and mine. Now, I couldn't care less if she wanted to go about killing herself taking such a wreckless risk but please dont take me out too in the process. I shouted at her to "cop the fcuk on" when she went by. Hope she heard me. If she wanted to overtake please overtake in caution and before someone attacks me here I was over to the far left of the road when this happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭thewatch

I was marshaling. I thought the cycling clubs were clearly the more experienced and faster riders but they did tend to hang out in larger groups at times taking up most of the left lane. They could make everyones life easier if the group spread out. They were nowhere near as dangerous as I was warned

I know groups were being held up at times but with such a huge group that will happen. Patience, accept it and wait for the upcoming road to sort speed out

Without a proper closed road Crossing the white line should be a definite no. I understand in a straight with speed you can do it quick and safe but I had to ball out of it a few feckers crossing onto the right on an uphill bend into oncoming trafiic. I was in the oncoming traffic but if it was the dopey motorist I was leading along it was only going to end one way for the cyclist and the group he flys into.

In general I loved the day trying to help out. I put up 250 miles :cool: Your a good bunch

Few things I learned:

Check your tyres! the repair crew are hard to come by

Two's and threes would be great for everyone as a rule.

If everone passed on the right and in genereal kept more left there would be less agro

Put your hand up when braking or before diving for a stop

Look where you want to go down molls gap not at the bikers watching you

Hail the marshals if you need help. We don't know if you don't call. Thumbs up if your grand.

That is all. Much thanks to those who looked out for us on the road saying keep in and thanks for your help, along the way

See you next year :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

This was my 2nd year to do the ROK. I did it in 6 hours 20 minutes thanks to a few faster groups that didnt mind me cycling at their rear. I had a few lads latch onto my wheel also which I actually enjoyed the thought that I was fast enough to follow, having said that I am 5'5" and 9.5 stone so they probably didnt get much shelter behind me ha ha.
    27 of us travelled from Summerhill in Meath. We wore blue and yellow jerseys with the team name "Hill Ringers" on the pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 dexsan

Seen lots of people cycling with ear phones in, i think that is very dangerous. And i thought the club cyclists were great calling out warnings etc.Never felt one bit intimidated by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 FZ

dexsan wrote: »
    Seen lots of people cycling with ear phones in, i think that is very dangerous.

I would have to second your opinion on earphones. I think that listening to Snow Patrol or the Boss while cycling verges on the suicidal. You need all of your senses about you while on a bike - especially when 1000s of other cyclists are on the same route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭fixie fox

michael196 wrote: »
    will some one please buy Enda a proper jersey , PLEASE !! Will send him a wexford wheelers one : Could have the cystic fibrosis charity logo printed on , oh jaysus and a pair of shorts too !!!

What makes a jersey "proper"?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Tourman

9000 cyclists you will get all sorts.
    I am not a club cyclist nor do I care to be and the warnings from people call passing right I found a great help though others found it intimidating. You can't please everyone. At one stage I was cycling and chatting to some random person when a club group passed and ONE of their number forced their way between me and my new found companion and nearly brought a raft of people down as I instinctively moved right towards someone who was overtaking me correctly.This one numb skull could have sullied my view of all club participants but that would be unfair to the vast majority who only wish for all to enjoy their pursuit.
    Last year I was at the happy end of advice and help from a club cyclist from Currow Cycling Club who dropped off from his group to assist me as I struggled up Coomiciste .The gripes about this years cycle are the same as last years. The informal nature of the event is a major part of its charm.
    I thought I did see a request that Club cyclists leave at around 6am and this would have avoided a lot of the problems as there would have been less need to overtake slower riders. For this reason I left at 7am.
    Its a fantastic event and I will be back next year. Thanks to all,you make the ROK special

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭fixie fox

I am an average club cyclist and, like a good few I know, I have given up on riding the Ring of Kerry event.
    The main reason is because it's just not a comfortable day out for the club cyclist who will be overtaking hundreds or thousands of 'normal' RoK cyclists.
    It's also a matter of respecting the spirit of the event. It has traditionally been a charity event and a challenge for locals who see it as a once-off event for the year.
    With the recent popularity of cycling and the huge growth of numbers in the RoK there's now a lot of Nouveau Cyclistes complaining about the lack of cycling 'etequite' amongst the local cycling commoners - some Of them don't even wear 'proper' gear or ride 'proper' bikes :eek:.
    However, they have been doing it their way before the word 'sportive' came to Ireland.
    My advice is to forget about it if you want to hammer around it like a club run. Go ahead if you are prepared to enter into the traditional spirit of the event and respect the type of cyclist which sustained the event for years.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement