Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice on pot belly stove

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I would be more worried about how well constructed it is and the quality of materials used. It isn't exactly made by a known maker and something about the the photo doesn't inspire confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Special Ops

yeah bit of a yogi bear feel from it. made in china, this style is only one people here or in england are offering as far as i can see.

other suggestions welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭lar203

i have a new one and there great

lar203 wrote: »
    Thanks

Thanks
    Mind if I ask where you bought it
    Cork and wexford are all I can find online but kildare or Dublin would suit better

• Advertisement

Thanks
    Cork and wexford are all I can find online but kildare or Dublin would suit better

Thanks
    Bump

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭baords dyslexic

250euro would be a bit of a rip off Ireland price :eek: those stoves are very cheap and available in the UK for about £140 and a lot cheaper if you hunt around (Try Trago Mills if your ever in the SW of England). Not sure if this stove is the same size http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/potbelly-cast-iron-stove as there seem to be 2 standard models that are imported from China and that one might be the smaller one. Google clarke pot belly stove for more info on the one I linked to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Stove Fan

Hi,

See reviews for machine mart potbelly:eek: Traygo mills is a cheap jack end of line shop. Some good deals but generally cheap. We used the branch at Falmouth for bits and pieces.

http://www.whatstove.co.uk/stove-reviews/stoves/stove-reviews/_c66/

I wouldn't touch a pot belly stove. You get what you pay for unfortunately:)

My Dad used one for a short while burning coal and after 18 months use it was scrap!!

You would be best to buy a better make of stove.

The firefox 5 may be a good cheap buy but not the very best quality but much better than the pot belly stove. It's known also as the dimplex westcott 5.
    http://www.thegascompany.ie/iopen24/wood-stove-dimplex-wst5-wescott-cast-iron-multifuel-stove-p-968814.html
    http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/wood_burning_stoves/Firefox-5-stove.html
    http://www.whatstove.co.uk/firefox-stoves/firefox-5-stove.html

Stove Fan:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 feckincrazy

Yea might find an old type one in a salvage yard or maybe done deal. The new ones ive looked at wudnt be over confident about them. My local pub has an old type pot belly right in midle of bar! Its class it would nealy take an esb pole to fill it though!

• Advertisement

looked at england but with shipping i'm almost at 250 and i'm not up to the pain in my behind.

looking in maynooth tomorrow, they seem to have them.

anyone know what kind of problems there could be?, it looks pretty simple with very few moving parts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭baords dyslexic

looked at england but with shipping i'm almost at 250 and i'm not up to the pain in my behind.

anyone know what kind of problems there could be?, it looks pretty simple with very few moving parts

Basically there isn't enough cast iron in them. Any other type of stove will have replacable fire bricks or cast iron baffles to protect the body of the stove. Burning anything especially coal "burns" away the cast iron till eventually you have a hole. They can also warp if you get them too hot so air gets in all round the join in the middle so you can't control air flow.

Basically there isn't enough cast iron in them. Any other type of stove will have replacable fire bricks or cast iron baffles to protect the body of the stove. Burning anything especially coal "burns" away the cast iron till eventually you have a hole. They can also warp if you get them too hot so air gets in all round the join in the middle so you can't control air flow.
    Thank you. I'm now armed with a little knowledge to annoy the salesman with.

Advertisement