Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can u cook a turkey in a top oven

Options
  • 24-12-2011 1:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

I have a Baumatic Double oven and the bottom fan oven stopped working last night. So I'm left with only the top oven. I've only ever used the grill on this, neven the oven. Does anyone know if I could do a turkey in it. My neighbour thinks top ovens don't get as hot so it won't do. Now I'm panicking! Help pls.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i dont see why not but you might be better posting this in the cooking forum

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

suzyq132 wrote: »
    My neighbour thinks top ovens don't get as hot so it won't do.
    Just like cars they will all be different.

Does it have a temp indicator saying what temp it gets to? or have you a link to the cooker showing specifications.

Most will probably have lower power elements supplying the heat so it might take longer to get to temperature but once there it should be OK.

How big is the oven though? if it barely fits inside you might have problems with circulation and have hot & cold spots in the oven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 suzyq132

Tks, new to this so still getting used to navigating.

It does have a temp guage so I might chance it, tks for the tip re size, I won't chance it unless their is enough space all round. Worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

But what will you do if it doesn't fit? have you got the turkey already?

If not you could get a turkey crown, or if you do have it you could cut it up and just cook the crown bit and do the rest the next day.

I got a spare turkey cheap one year and cut it up into smaller bits and scored thick bits deeply (like a tandoori chicken) and had the whole lot roasted in about an hour!

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

The top ovans are usally smaller and will not work has well has your fan ovan and heat levels will differ in the ovan, but I would suggest you remove the legs from the bird and cook the breast only. You will have more control of the cooking process then, the legs can be boned and stuffed and used at a later stage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement