Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BTEA COST OF EDUCATION CUT

Options
  • 24-12-2011 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

I didnt see anyone post on this ?

http://budget.gov.ie/budgets/2012

Community Employment Schemes, Back to Education
    Allowance and Jobs Initiative
    Reduce the training and materials from €1,500 to €500 per
    participant per annum and obtain savings from supervisory
    costs on Community Employment schemes.
    Reduce the annual cost of education allowance to €300.

wow , I didn't hear anyone giving out about this , this is awful , a cut is a cut and this really helped me pay some rent going back to college and it went toward my fees for next year .

I went back to college after being made redundant , 200 makes a huge difference that could have paid esb . since i went back to college this year i have went on 3 nights out . I'm taking it very serious .

talk about kicking us when we are down ! raging , it really helped me alot the extra money , i try put something away every week as much as I can .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭W86indow

NOT TO MIND THIS !
    Higher Education
    Increase the current €2,000 student contribution by €250 in
    2012 and review progress in cost-recovery in the third level
    sector in line with EU/IMF commitments.

getting really disgusted here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Main points of interest from budget:

Budget 2012 reduces the rate of student grant by 3% from January 2012.

Maintenance grant rates for 2011

Type Non-adjacent rate Adjacent rate
    Special rate €6,100 €2,445
    Full Maintenance €3,120 €1,250
    Part maintenance (75%) €2,340 €940
    Part maintenance (50%) €1,560 €625
    Part maintenance (25%) €780 €315

Budget 2012

Changes proposed in the Budget, which was announced in December 2011, include:

* Reduction of 3% in the rate of student grant from January 2012
    * Value of some capital assets to be taken into account in the student grants means test from 2013
    * Grant entitlement for new postgraduate students to be curtailed - see 'Maintenance grants' below
    * Reduction of 20% in Fund for Students with Disabilities
    * Five scholarship schemes to be replaced by a single merit-based bursary scheme, with awards set at €2,000 per student

From the 2012/13 academic year, fee grants will only be paid for new postgraduate students if they would previously have qualified for the special rate of grant (see 'Special rates of grants for disadvantaged students' below). In addition, based on their means, a further 4,000 postgraduate students will get a €2,000 fee contribution grant.

New postgraduate students whose means would formerly have qualified them for the special rate of student grant will now only get a fee grant. They will not get a maintenance grant. Existing grant-holders will not be affected.

Advertisement