Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC - router/modem bridging

• 24-12-2011 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi,

I’ve just moved to Dublin and have ordered the UPC 50Meg package and with this they give me a Cisco EPC3925 Cable router. As a modem it is fine but It isn’t that good in respect of feature set but I have a Vigor 2920n which is excellent.

From my research – it seems that I cannot put the Cisco router into “Bridging Mode”; I know out of the box, the router does support bridging (from google searches) but the UPC firmware has this disabled – looking at the HTML & clientside scripts I may be-able to re-enable bridging using a bit of hackery but I don’t want to go down this route just yet. Also, I believe the reason UPC disables bridging is due to the VOIP phone that also connects to it so that would mean that I will lose my phone.

Questions;
    Does anyone know if UPC does or have supported modem/router bridging? If so, on what hardware?

Does anyone know what alternative routers can be used for my 50Meg Cable connection that will support bridging (and/or has a richer feature set)?

Thanks in advance,

Ian.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You cannot use our own cable modem, you have to use the one provided. If that doesn't suit your needs, then you either need to accept that or talk to UPC about other options. No one else can help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 kellizer

jor el wrote: »
    You cannot use our own cable modem, you have to use the one provided. If that doesn't suit your needs, then you either need to accept that or talk to UPC about other options. No one else can help you.

Thanks for your response but I do feel that this isn't simply this clean cut - firstly I did try & discuss with UPC but the lady i ended up talking too didn't understand the concept of bridging nor any other routers that maybe available; If i could speak to a more technical resource then I could discuss with UPC however my only option now is this forum to see the feasibility.

On another note - some of the install options do not provide a modem router so it is the customer requirement to procure a new cable modem so they must have options..

I'm sure i'm not the only person that has done research into using another, more feature rich router with UPC..

There are no options that end with you providing your own modem. What you're looking for may simply not be possible, so you just have to accept that or find a different isp.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 kellizer

What you're looking for may simply not be possible
    Thanks jor el for your added reply but I'm always the type of guy that believes nothing is impossible.

There is more than 2 DOCSIS 3.0 routers in this world and providing it is compliant with the standard then I can't see how UPC would not allow this - that would be like ericom saying that you can only use ADSL Router XYZ.. Yes, I know that you need to register on their network - but that is just providing the HFC MAC address to their CMTS database.

I'm not trying to do anything immoral nor illegal - simply trying to use my own hardware for the internet connection that I pay UPC 600EUR a year for. I would happily use one of their modems but without layer 3 features enabled - i'm not asking for that much..

Acceptance is an option but only after I have exhausted all avenues..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,484 ✭✭✭Nollog

Your cable is locked to the mac address of the modem they supply you with, and they won't let you give them your own modem's mac address as it's a pandora's box of trouble for you and them.

I saw a thread earlier in the month talking about how you'd do it in the thompson modem, which doesn't do bridging either, maybe you could look at that?
    I'm pretty sure all it involved was doing the steps to bridging manually.

• Advertisement

kellizer wrote: »
    There is more than 2 DOCSIS 3.0 routers in this world and providing it is compliant with the standard then I can't see how UPC would not allow this - that would be like ericom saying that you can only use ADSL Router XYZ.. Yes, I know that you need to register on their network - but that is just providing the HFC MAC address to their CMTS database.

I never said there weren't more routers available, I said you can't use one of your own. There is a big difference. Comparisons to DSL are irrelevant, as the ISP doesn't need to activate a DSL modem for usage, all you need to do is plug it in. On the cable network, UPC activate the equipment by MAC address, and this is something you have no influence or control over.

If bridging is not an option, there is always the DMZ host option, which may or may not be good enough for your application. Other than that, it is exactly as I've already said; talk to UPC about it, because no one else will be able to get around the modem restrictions.

The EPC2425 used to have a bridging option, but UPC disabled it. There's no way to get it back without their support, but I wouldn't expect them to do it for you.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Can anyone explain UPC's logic in not allowing bridging? It seems to me that a significant number of customers (particularly those interested in the higher speeds) would have their own routers and would be anxious to use them.

My guess is because the VOIP function stops working when you bridge, and rather than explain this to those that would not understand this, they simply don't allow it. They support a single configuration for all users, and this cuts their costs significantly over supporting two configs.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 rez

I think if they had a firmware you could download which enabled bridging, with a warning that it is unsupported and to get tech support you need to return to the stock firmware then that would do.

I can understand the VoIP thing that's probably the reason for the restrictions. For me it makes things difficult especially about monitoring overall usage on the line from various devices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭yellabelly

Just got delivery of the EPC3925 router. I'm a bit confused by the information out there. Is it still an option to run in “Bridging Mode”? Is the downside no UPC phone connection?
    We could still use Blueface who can accept a number transfer number. It seems strange that UPC are prepared to lose phone customers just because they wont support modem only setups.

• Advertisement
Advertisement