Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths Questions Help!

• 24-12-2011 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

I'm doing maths revision and can't seem to solve 4 of the questions from the Maths Text & Tests 4 books on Algebra 1. I would really appreciate if you could help me solve these:

2011-12-24145450.jpg

The the questions under me say:For what value of m are the roots… but opposite in sign

And: The roots of the equation… (AND) Find the value of p and the value of q.

2011-12-24145530copy.jpg

In this questions the bottom one is the one I can't solve.

2011-12-24145555.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Q1- Try to isolate 2nrh form S. Wriggle this around so it looks like nr^2h and voila!

Q2- let the roots= a, -a. THIS MEANS THAT THE SUM OF ROOTS = a-a which equals 0
    Use this eqn which will get you to find roots easily x^2-[sum of roots]x+[product of roots] or just say that the sum of the roots is -b/a and product = c/a. Using that eqn and knowing that the sum=0 you can easily isolate the m and equate to find unknow.

Q3 Using same principlpes, find a+b and ab. a^2 + b^2 = (a+b)^2 -2ab. This said, you can easily find the answer.

Using the same reasoning as previously, find roots in terms of p and q with the roots 2a +b and a + 2b. the sum = 3a +3b which can be written as 3{a+b) which, you have found in the previous part. Sub in the value of p to find q!

Q4- multiply out brackets! (you should get ab - a.root3 +b.root3 -3)
    Let the roots = roots and the whole numbers = whole numbers eg. ab-3=7 and the root3's equal each other (using LHS=RHS Principle)) Isolate either a or b and sub in to find values, ignore the negative value and sub in top find other value!! :D

Hope I helped (p.s - I had solutions about 4 times as long written out but when i went to post it said i wasn't logged in so i lost it all!! :/ but here ya go anyway!)

If you need more help, dont hesitate to ask and also in any other topics in the paper or whatever ( I got 97% in my christmas exam LC there a few weeks ago and it was a whole paper form mocks etc.. :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 robert12345

Thank you so much. I've solved all of them except the very first one where you said to isolate 2nprh from s. I can't seem to get it on its own but thank you very much, if I look over it a few more times I'm sure I'll find it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Thank you so much. I've solved all of them except the very first one where you said to isolate 2nprh from s. I can't seem to get it on its own but thank you very much, if I look over it a few more times I'm sure I'll find it.

Ok. to change 2πrh to πr^2h, you have to divide by 2 and multiply by r? once you know that and have rearranged the first eqn ( say s = x + y; you could rearrange that to say y=s -x ) you can apply the r/2 division on each side to allow yourself to finish off with v on left and some eqn thing on right.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 robert12345

Thank you, I finally got that one too. I'll be starting Algebra 2 and I might need some help on that. Also I checked the Maths Ireland website and it helped me solve a lot of these.

Sorry for the late reply!

Advertisement