Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Maturies, how was your first semester?

Options
  • 24-12-2011 4:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just wanted to start a thread to see how everyone who was scrambling on here over the summer to get in to courses has found their first semester in college? :)

I'm studying Economics at UCD, and was over the moon to get in, and have really enjoyed my first semester (I can say that now that exams are over), but it was definitely tough work, but rewarding in the end.

Touch wood, I think all my exams went ok, and the second semester of first year doesn't look as tough as the first one (I think they have the toughest modules in first semester for those who might repeat in the second one), so I'm excited to kick on now and hopefully this second one will fly and I'll be over first year! (I'm well known to get ahead of myself!)

How have people found it financially? Have to say that that has been the biggest struggle for me. Finding part-time work has been a nightmare, I've only made scraps really, and the grant doesn't stretch very far, and I'm extremely lucky to have such a supportive fiancé who's helped me through on that side of things a lot, which I'm very grateful for. But if it wasn't for her help, I have no idea how I would have done it, so that would be my major concern for most mature students.

And on the social side? Anyone reliving a second wasted youth, hanging out in student bars and waking up in beds they shouldn't be in?? :D

Sadly enough, I can honestly say that I have not made ONE friend in college! haha as pathetic as that sounds. But I don't really mind, I have made some acquaintances from tutorials and stuff, but for the most part I'm ok to just go in and get my education and get out, without feeling the need to become too noticed or make any great social impact! I can see how tough it would be to make friends though and how if you had to travel far or even relocate to college (I'm lucky, I'm only down the road) how isolated or lonely people could feel, and that would be another concern of mine towards mature students.

Anyway, Merry Christmas to you all, and hope you've all settled in well and are enjoying your courses and looking forward to your brighter future! :pac:

Advertisement