Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can You Get Freeview In Rep. of Ireland??

• 24-12-2011 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi, I'm living in the south west and i was wondering can i get freeview? I see retailers selling freeview ready tv's like argos and I also saw a freeview box in tesco for about 80 quid. The reason I'm asking is because I'm buying a new telly and am wondering should I go for a freeview one? (and i'm not talking about saorview, as I would like more channels) If I can get freeview what channels would I be geting? any alternative options will also be very helpful if it is not available,:D
    thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No is the short answer, get yourself a Free to view sat set up - if you are DIY friendly you can get a second hand set top box and dish for 100.

When they switch off the analogue Irish channels in a year you need an MPEG 4 tv anyway (unless you intend to never watch RTE etc again!). So buy one and then add a FTV set up for the all the main UK tv channels outside SKY.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

I would recommend a Freesat box. Its much more user friendly than a free to air box. plus 4 HD channels

I dumped sky and dont miss it at all. Most new type tv's will use the new digital Irish channels.

http://www.adverts.ie/tv/freesat-box/1202320

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭AoifeCN

I'd like to know more about the freesat box if you can ? i have an aerial but as i'm in the country side it only picks up rte 1 and 2 (and bad quality). i also have sky in the sitting room but am looking for a free or one time pay option for my bedroom. I'm also wondering about how to get the free channels with my old sky box and am wondering can you do it more than one times (without buying multiroom) much apriciated :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You need an 70cm to 80cm Dish in South West or existing Sky Dish + cable. It's a Branded "Freesat HD" box you need. You can get ones with built in recording.

Several hundred TV & Radio, about 40+ really useful channels. All the main UK free channels.

Humax is good.

Your old sky box just works. Take card out with it disconnected from mains. Don't put card in again. Or at most on some boxes "upside down".

You'll see which channels work. Put them on the blue/purple favourites menu via "setup". If it's a Sky HD box it may be "missing" a lot of free UK channels as those tend to stay on Irish EPG rather than switch to UK EPG without card.

You may need to swap the "lump" on end of dish arm for Quad LNB if it's just a single LNB.
    See www.saortv.info

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,586 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

AoifeCN wrote: »
    Hi, I'm living in the south west and i was wondering can i get freeview? I see retailers selling freeview ready tv's like argos and I also saw a freeview box in tesco for about 80 quid. The reason I'm asking is because I'm buying a new telly and am wondering should I go for a freeview one? (and i'm not talking about saorview, as I would like more channels) If I can get freeview what channels would I be geting? any alternative options will also be very helpful if it is not available,:D
    thanks

As the lads said above no Freeview in the Limerick/South West, definitely go for a Saorview approved TV if upgrading.

Freesat is probably the most user friendly free satellite option as an alternative to Sky.

I picked up this basic Goodmans Freesat receiver this week, for a second TV, in Maplins on the Childers Road in Limerick for €80
    i have an aerial but as i'm in the country side it only picks up rte 1 and 2 (and bad quality).

I assume it's a VHF aerial pointing at Mullaghanish, no TV3/TG4 or Saorview? UHF aerial will be required for Saorview.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

I'd like to know more about the freesat box if you can ? i have an aerial but as i'm in the country side it only picks up rte 1 and 2 (and bad quality). i also have sky in the sitting room but am looking for a free or one time pay option for my bedroom. I'm also wondering about how to get the free channels with my old sky box and am wondering can you do it more than one times (without buying multiroom) much apriciated :)

not a technician , but I just plugged my new HD Freesat box into the same wire that went into my sky dish. Worked perfect.

(takes a bit of getting used to when browesing menus on freesat compared to SKY. Sky is more user friendly IMO. But freesat is free and works very well and when you do get used to it, you wont look back)

I had to put an ariel in my attic for Irish channels. It has its own program guide and reminder set up. My Toshiba LCD 32" picked up the channels with little fuss. No saor view approval . It all works and cost me the licence fee:mad: only.

Im saving 30 euro a month which paid for the ariel in a 2 months. Glad I did it. small saving, but those DD on your bank account add up to a fare amount after a year.

Look into it. I feels its worth leaving SKY.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭AoifeCN

thank you everyone for the info :)
    "I assume it's a VHF aerial pointing at Mullaghanish, no TV3/TG4 or Saorview? UHF aerial will be required for Saorview."
    we actually have both :P but they are in the attic and not on the roof I'm guessing that's the cause of the bad quality,or the direction?

I'm not looking to leave sky I'm looking for a no monthly pay option for my bedroom
    thank you gsxr1 very helpfull :)
    I think I will look into a freesat box cheapest one I found on eBay about 45-50 quid or a HD one with saorview for 90.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

thank you everyone for the info :)
    "I assume it's a VHF aerial pointing at Mullaghanish, no TV3/TG4 or Saorview? UHF aerial will be required for Saorview."
    we actually have both :P but they are in the attic and not on the roof I'm guessing that's the cause of the bad quality,or the direction?

I'm not looking to leave sky I'm looking for a no monthly pay option for my bedroom
    thank you gsxr1 very helpfull :)
    I think I will look into a freesat box cheapest one I found on eBay about 45-50 quid or a HD one with saorview for 90.

Have a look on adverts,even a spare skybox without a card (don't get a skyHD box) will do for free satellite tv.If you are used to using Sky's menu then you'll be happy enough.You could get a cheap combi box for fta & saorview,thread in this forum about them.

Freeview can be picked up from UK along the east coast but where you are forget about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

The Cush wrote: »
    I picked up this basic Goodmans Freesat receiver this week, for a second TV, in Maplins on the Childers Road in Limerick for €80

Were you in a hurry Cush? That's a fierce price for a box you'll pick up on Amazon for just over €40.00

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Goodmans-Freesat-Energy-Saving-Recommendation/dp/B005167UUQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1324936040&sr=8-3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,586 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Were you in a hurry Cush?

I was, had to get one in a rush before Christmas. Normally I'd have purchased online.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

I know the feeling. I needed 6 x AAA batteries for walkie-talkies late Xmas eve and would have forked out an indecent amount to attain them. Family member thankfully saved my ass on Christmas morn. :)

Advertisement