Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caught with 18 ounces of weed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 DaDeadly1

thanks guys ur comments are much appreciated, just cant believe he got himself into such a mess. we are a regular decent family like most people just unfortunate to have made a stupid mistake. ill be gettin him to apply to some courses and i will be making sure he doesnt smoke weed now. he isnt a trouble maker at all, and wouldnt even be a big smoker of the stuff. young and dumb as they say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

DaDeadly1 wrote: »
    thanks guys ur comments are much appreciated, just cant believe he got himself into such a mess. we are a regular decent family like most people just unfortunate to have made a stupid mistake. ill be gettin him to apply to some courses and i will be making sure he doesnt smoke weed now. he isnt a trouble maker at all, and wouldnt even be a big smoker of the stuff. young and dumb as they say.

Had a similar experience with a former friend a long time ago and the stupid fucker ignored all the advice he was given and kept doing what he was doing and hanging around with the people he was doing stuff for. When it came to his date he got a very harsh sentence.

We kinda lost touch with each other when he got locked up and haven't seen nor spoke to each other since.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Tell him to book into a rehab clinic immediately and say he only got involved because he has a drug problem and he has to pay off a debt because evil drug dealers led him astray. He needs to try to paint himself as the victim.

When he goes to the judge on the big day he will have cleaned up his act and gotten his life back on track and be looking at going back to school/college etc etc etc.
    Are you suggesting that this person lies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Are you suggesting that the illegal status of Cannabis isn't based on lies ?

OK Your not, But the legal profession and the Gardaí are the liars in all of this.
    Both have too much riding on the continued enforcement of drug laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,883 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

charlemont wrote: »
    Are you suggesting that the illegal status of Cannabis isn't based on lies ?

OK Your not, But the legal profession and the Gardaí are the liars in all of this.
    Both have too much riding on the continued enforcement of drug laws.

You must be smoking some strong stuff now.

• Advertisement

And why would you say that ?

Am I supposed to agree with what clearly is an industry based on making criminals out of people involved with a relatively harmless product.

And why would you say that ?

Am I supposed to agree with what clearly is an industry based on making criminals out of people involved with a relatively harmless product.
    What about non-criminal practitioners?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Maybe off topic but you could not possibly have the correct qualifications to make that statement. Just because you or your mates are fine from it, that does not make it harmless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

this was a seriously stupid move on your brothers side. and for 200 is jus a further insult to his intelligence. whether or not he got set up is irrelevent as the end result is the same. i dont think your brother is telling you the ful story either. 18oz is what in around a half k? so most definately intent. there will be time. 18 months bt wil prob serve 12. and he wil be heavily pressured to stick in who he got it off.
    tbh i would have brought this up with a soliciter, not boards

18 months?? No way...Doubtful he will do any time. If he has no previous form and the judge sees him for the fool he is, a young silly man then i'm guessing a suspended sentence.

Heres a case in Limerick with a young guy who was caught in a sticky situation and only did 3 days in jail. And a 3 year suspended sentence.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/local/limerickman_caught_bagging_weed_was_told_to_do_it_by_a_bad_man_1_2369010

baldbear wrote: »
    18 months?? No way...Doubtful he will do any time. If he has no previous form and the judge sees him for the fool he is, a young silly man then i'm guessing a suspended sentence.

Heres a case in Limerick with a young guy who was caught in a sticky situation and only did 3 days in jail. And a 3 year suspended sentence.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/local/limerickman_caught_bagging_weed_was_told_to_do_it_by_a_bad_man_1_2369010

It doesn't always turn out that way so its wrong to give that impression. I hope the young lad gets off and learns his lesson though. BUT here's a piece from the Herald.

A GRIEVING father who started smoking cannabis after his son was murdered has been jailed for eight months in prison.

Father-of-three Patrick Byrne (59) admitted before Dublin District Court to possession of cannabis resin as well as having the drug for sale or supply. The cannabis was found after gardai obtained a warrant and searched Byrne's home at Lower Oriel Street, Dublin 1, on August 31 last year. The court heard the street value of the cannabis was €1,450

• Advertisement

Zambia wrote: »
    Maybe off topic but you could not possibly have the correct qualifications to make that statement. Just because you or your mates are fine from it, that does not make it harmless.

I'm in a better condition from Cannabis then I ever was from alcohol but your post smacks of the same lie that has been repeated around in circles for the last few decades. I suspect you are one the people who benefits from its illegal status. Nothing in life is completely harmless notice how I used the word relatively.

I'm in a better condition from Cannabis then I ever was from alcohol but your post smacks of the same lie that has been repeated around in circles for the last few decades. I suspect you are one the people who benefits from its illegal status. Nothing in life is completely harmless notice how I used the word relatively.

Not taking issue with what you say about your own condition but I know a few lads who are very paranoid through smoking cannabis. One is in a bad way at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

OP - your brother is more than likely going to be charged with possession (section 15) and possession with intent to sell or distribute.

to be honest you need to get your brother admit his involvement with drugs - its fair to say that he must be linked or in debt enough to know that whoever gave him the drugs trusted him enough to hold such an amount.

OP - also just a note for you .... after your brother faces court its likely that your brother will still be in debt to the dealer who gave him the stuff to hold....its very important for him to loose contact with his "friends" - his drug debt could get him into further trouble in the future.... you may need to keep a close eye on him or get him away from his current life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Nobody can argue with you.Don't know how much you smoke or drink.I'd agree with you in the sense alcohol is more dangerous when abused chronically , as for the poster talking about paronia ,the risk nowadays I think is if you are susceptible to schizophrenia or maybe have pre existing condition you could be at risk.

Not taking issue with what you say about your own condition but I know a few lads who are very paranoid through smoking cannabis. One is in a bad way at the moment.

Yes I have no doubt you are speaking the truth but there are several varieties and strengths of it, Some of the weed is very strong and is capable of messing with someone's head, Alcohol as you well know also has its differing varieties and strengths.

I suspect you are one the people who benefits from its illegal status. Nothing in life is completely harmless notice how I used the word relatively.
    Unless you can explain who is benefiting from the illegal status (specifically) and how they are purported to benefit from it then you're talking nonsense.
    This isn't a forum where you just get to spout out whatever comes to your mind and we all just mindlessly go along with it; if you have a point to make, then make it legitimately.
    Yes I have no doubt you are speaking the truth but there are several varieties and strengths of it, Some of the weed is very strong and is capable of messing with someone's head, Alcohol as you well know also has its differing varieties and strengths.
    There is a mountain of scientific evidence that would disagree with you. Even the evidence that supports cannabis being less physically and socially destructive than alcohol and tobacco agree that it does not mean that it is not dangerous and/or that it does not mean that it would be any less physically and socially destructive than alcohol and tobacco where it was used excessively in the mainstream.

I'm not a user, but I would support a legal level of possession for personal use. I think the tax benefit would far outweigh the potential pitfalls.

Nope.
    Unless you can explain who is benefiting from the illegal status (specifically) and how they are purported to benefit from it then you're talking nonsense.

Customs officials
    Probation officers
    Gardai
    Solicitors
    Judges
    Prison officers.

There is a mountain of scientific evidence that would disagree with you. Even the evidence that supports cannabis being less physically and socially destructive than alcohol and tobacco agree that it does not mean that it is not dangerous and/or that it does not mean that it would be any less physically and socially destructive than alcohol and tobacco where it was used excessively in the mainstream.

You're conflating two issues. Drug abuse and drug use are two completely different things.

Abuse of any drug is a problem.
    I'm not a user, but I would support a legal level of possession for personal use. I think the tax benefit would far outweigh the potential pitfalls.

Why? Is that not just hypocrisy? I say legalize it.

The illegality of weed is by far the most harmful aspect of it. Take for example this young fella having been caught with weed - it's illegality is going to cause this guy lifelong problems.

This isn't a forum where you just get to spout out whatever comes to your mind and we all just mindlessly go along with it; if you have a point to make, then make it legitimately.

So your not capable of realising how people benefit from it, Well then I think you should take the blinkers off, Cannabis seizures are big business for the Gardaí, And various solicitors I know have discussed the business they garner from very small possession offences with me. And this is so obvious up and down the country the fact that you could not see this is astonishing really.
    Vast majority of all drug offences in our courts are for personal possession of cannabis. Lately we have a big surge in "Grow houses" being raided, Easy work really.

So typing into a public forum is not a legitimate way to voice my opinion, Well somebody thinks he is a dictator. Am I supposed to sit back and say nothing when I see something that I think is wrong ? I haven't offended anyone on here and because I disagree with some posters here doesn't mean my opinion should be thought of as nonsense either.

I can't completely disagree with this but its not a black and white case there are several issues at play here, I'm sure medical companies would have an interest in keeping it illegal and anybody doing reports for them would know who butters their bread too.

The Holy Joe's would have a field day if this actually happened, Unfortunately I can't see it being legal here as the lies and hysteria created would be too strong for our weak politicians.

I think the tax benefit would far outweigh the potential pitfalls.

I have no idea how you'd tax something that people could grow in a pot on the windowsill.

Perhaps another reason why it's unlikely to be decriminalized.

So your not capable of realising how people benefit from it, Well then I think you should take the blinkers off, Cannabis seizures are big business for the Gardaí, And various solicitors I know have discussed the business they garner from very small possession offences with me. And this is so obvious up and down the country the fact that you could not see this is astonishing really.
    Vast majority of all drug offences in our courts are for personal possession of cannabis. Lately we have a big surge in "Grow houses" being raided, Easy work really.
    I didn't say I wasn't capable of doing anything. I said that you cannot make a blanket statement without explaining it. This isn't After Hours.

So typing into a public forum is not a legitimate way to voice my opinion, Well somebody thinks he is a dictator.

Ah well, there's your first mistake. There are rules for posting here; one of those rules being that you don't make unsupported or blanket statements without explaining them. I'm here to enforce those rules... you made a blanket statement with zero substance and zero support. I'm saying back it up and you clearly cannot.

Am I supposed to sit back and say nothing when I see something that I think is wrong ? I haven't offended anyone on here and because I disagree with some posters here doesn't mean my opinion should be thought of as nonsense either. [/B]
    You can say what you want, but it must be legitimate, supported and explained thoroughly. "Down with this sort of thing" is not going to cut it here.

I can't completely disagree with this but its not a black and white case there are several issues at play here, I'm sure medical companies would have an interest in keeping it illegal and anybody doing reports for them would know who butters their bread too.
    How do "medical companies" profit from illegality of cannabis?

The Holy Joe's would have a field day if this actually happened, Unfortunately I can't see it being legal here as the lies and hysteria created would be too strong for our weak politicians.

Here you are at it again. How would "the holy joe's" have a "field day" if that happened?
    Do you not see how your posts are so vague that they are ridiculous?

• Advertisement

Ah well, there's your first mistake. There are rules for posting here; one of those rules being that you don't make unsupported or blanket statements without explaining them.

Like below?
    There is a mountain of scientific evidence that would disagree with you.

Customs officials
    Probation officers
    Gardai
    Solicitors
    Judges
    Prison officers.
    Nonsense. How do any of these groups of people make money specifically from the illegality of cannabis? I will give you some solicitors that get a small amount from legal aid in a rather small percentage of their cases relating to cannabis, but the rest are ridiculous.

Customs officials aren't on commission for finding cannabis and would be doing their work looking for a plethora of other things.

Probation officers deal with many cases other than cannabis related convictions.

Gardaí... well this one should be blatantly obvious. Clearly busting the poor pot smoker is not the only thing AGS does.

Judges - frankly this one blows my mind. I'd like you to explain that one logically to me... should be amusing.

Prison officers, true... because nobody is in prison other than for possessing a bit of a spliff.

You're conflating two issues. Drug abuse and drug use are two completely different things.

Abuse of any drug is a problem.
    I would disagree. Use of any controlled substance is a problem with clear scientific effects. That is true for alcohol, cannabis, paracetamol, etc.

Abuse is a different problem which comes with all substances (controlled or otherwise). The issues with the two are not mutually exclusive.
    Why? Is that not just hypocrisy? I say legalize it.
    How is it hypocrisy? Would you not be happy with legalisation of an amount for personal use... or are you really just upset one cannot kick off their booming manufacture and sales process legally?
    The illegality of weed is by far the most harmful aspect of it. Take for example this young fella having been caught with weed - it's illegality is going to cause this guy lifelong problems.
    I don't necessarily agree that illegality of weed is a harmful aspect, but I don't think it is the most harmful. Abuse, as you rightly mentioned earlier is the most harmful aspect of it.

I do think that the idea of it being a "gateway" drug is incorrect, as it only becomes one due to the criminal nature of it. I've had alcohol, but I'm not moving onto cocaine - but would I be if I were using alcohol (which was illegal) and the only way I could get it was from some shady dealer who wanted me addicted to the more expensive stuff too.

Like below?
    Nice misquote there. I suppose the part where I explain the content of the evidence is not sufficient for you.

There is a pretty good wiki article on it though, which supports what I explained in the post you misquoted (as well as the other side of the story).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effects_of_cannabis

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Randy Anders

Tell him to book into a rehab clinic immediately and say he only got involved because he has a drug problem and he has to pay off a debt because evil drug dealers led him astray. He needs to try to paint himself as the victim.

When he goes to the judge on the big day he will have cleaned up his act and gotten his life back on track and be looking at going back to school/college etc etc etc.

My mate got caught with 12 grands worth of grass and this is exactly what his solicitor(who is very well known) told him to do. He ended up getting 5 months in jail, 3 of which were suspended

This was the very best case scenario, he was originally told by another solicitor to expect an 18month sentence

Just goes to show how the courts can be manipulated in your favour. If you have to lie to save your ass, you do it

Nonsense. How do any of these groups of people make money specifically from the illegality of cannabis? I will give you some solicitors that get a small amount from legal aid in a rather small percentage of their cases relating to cannabis, but the rest are ridiculous.

Prohibition of cannabis, along with other illegal drugs, would make a up a considerable percentage of the work these people do. Let's say enforcing the prohibition illegal drugs costs €500 million - well that €500 m worth of incentive to not relax the laws on drugs.

I would disagree. Use of any controlled substance is a problem with clear scientific effects. That is true for alcohol, cannabis, paracetamol, etc.

Abuse is a different problem which comes with all substances (controlled or otherwise). The issues with the two are not mutually exclusive.

Abuse of drugs and use of drugs are two different issues. The point stands.
    How is it hypocrisy? Would you not be happy with legalisation of an amount for personal use... or are you really just upset you cannot kick off your booming manufacture and sales process legally?

Are you accusing me of being involved with criminal activity or is this a poor attempt at humour?
    I don't necessarily agree that illegality of weed is a harmful aspect, but I don't think it is the most harmful.

AFAIK there hasn't been one recorded death from overdosing on weed. The illegality of weed is very harmful. Far more harmful that the drug itself.

Above and beyond all this it's immoral to criminalize people because of a lifestyle choice.

Drug prohibition is a fantastic farce.

Chomsky clarifies.

I didn't say I wasn't capable of doing anything. I said that you cannot make a blanket statement without explaining it. This isn't After Hours.

[/b]
    Ah well, there's your first mistake. There are rules for posting here; one of those rules being that you don't make unsupported or blanket statements without explaining them. I'm here to enforce those rules... you made a blanket statement with zero substance and zero support. I'm saying back it up and you clearly cannot.

You can say what you want, but it must be legitimate, supported and explained thoroughly. "Down with this sort of thing" is not going to cut it here.

How do "medical companies" profit from illegality of cannabis?

Here you are at it again. How would "the holy joe's" have a "field day" if that happened?
    Do you not see how your posts are so vague that they are ridiculous?
    The only person that's being ridiculous here is yourself, Nit picking at my posts because you can't agree with them, As for getting an infraction for that post just shows you up for what you obviously are. If you cant discuss without issuing infractions then what I said about you is clearly correct..

Can't handle how some of us see the illegality of cannabis for what it really is, But sure don't let the truth get in the way..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

The only person that's being ridiculous here is yourself, Nit picking at my posts because you can't agree with them, As for getting an infraction for that post just shows you up for what you obviously are. If you cant discuss without issuing infractions then what I said about you is clearly correct..

Can't handle how some of us see the illegality of cannabis for what it really is, But sure don't let the truth get in the way..

How exactly do Gardaí benefit from cannabis being illegal? Sounds like i've been missing out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

I know a lad caught with 11,000 euro worth last year. He's doing 4 years now.

MagicSean wrote: »
    How exactly do Gardaí benefit from cannabis being illegal? Sounds like i've been missing out.

Is it really so hard to grasp that prohibition takes money from the tax-paying public and places it in the wages and fees of Gardai and legal people?

I'm not saying that the police rub their hands gleefully when they catch some dopey youngfella with a bag of weed. Indeed, I'm sure there are plenty of smart cops out there who would like to see weed and drug possession for personal use decriminalized.

They could then focus on real crimes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

PCPhoto wrote: »
    OP - your brother is more than likely going to be charged with possession (section 15) and possession with intent to sell or distribute.

to be honest you need to get your brother admit his involvement with drugs - its fair to say that he must be linked or in debt enough to know that whoever gave him the drugs trusted him enough to hold such an amount.

OP - also just a note for you .... after your brother faces court its likely that your brother will still be in debt to the dealer who gave him the stuff to hold....its very important for him to loose contact with his "friends" - his drug debt could get him into further trouble in the future.... you may need to keep a close eye on him or get him away from his current life.
    good point, thats probably gonna be the biggest problem in/out of prison.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement