Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caught with 18 ounces of weed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

It's axiomatic that the $15 Billion dollars is used to pay for prisons, prosecutions in the courts, enforced drug treatment, drug squad police etc.

As I said earlier in the thread that's $15 Billion worth of incentive to keep the farce going.

I really don't understand where you're going with this. That money is the cost to the state, basically one state department is paying another state department for their services. While it is costing, and there is a bill to be paid. The vast majority of those funds is being paid by the government to the government.
    If it was cheap, decriminalized and people had access to rehab services then it would probably lead to far more people who use being able to lead productive lives.

You've obviously never spent much time with a junkie. These people live for heroin. Their sole function in life is to get more money to buy more heroin. They cannot function without it and when they're on it they're so out of it they're no use to anyone. While I don't agree with legalising drugs full stop. I would be willing to see cannabis legalised over any other drug that is out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

source wrote: »
    I really don't understand where you're going with this. That money is the cost to the state, basically one state department is paying another state department for their services. While it is costing, and there is a bill to be paid. The vast majority of those funds is being paid by the government to the government.

What now? That really doesn't make sense. :confused:

Governments don't have money. They acquire it through taxation of the populace. The taxation collected is transferred from the productive economy to those involved in prohibition.

You've obviously never spent much time with a junkie.

Thankfully I haven't and anyone who has has my sympathy.
    These people live for heroin. Their sole function in life is to get more money to buy more heroin. They cannot function without it and when they're on it they're so out of it they're no use to anyone.

I trust this is true but I would ask what making criminals out of addicts achieves other than heaping further misery on them and their families?

For the record I'm not pro-drug. If drugs ever were regulated and taxed I think that any 'profits' should be ring-fenced and ploughed into harm prevention campaigns and addicition services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

There is of course the option everyone could stop using illegal drugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Well I guess people would have the choice of purchase or self grow. If weed got taxed to death people would probably grow their own.

Most people wouldn't have the time, space, expertise or equipment to grow their own supply
    If it was cheap, decriminalized and people had access to rehab services then it would probably lead to far more people who use being able to lead productive lives.

If heroin was made cheaper the addicts would just buy more of it. They don't work on a budget they just crave the high. You can't use logic when talking about a heroine addict.
    Legalisation =/= free for all. Of course there would be standards to be adhered to and reputations to uphold.

Who would uphold these standrds if people were just growing it at home and selling it?
    Like under 18's? What do you mean?

Under 18's for the most part.
    JohnnyTodd wrote: »
    I got caught with 500 Esctasy pills back in my student days in DCU. No record, was just selling it to make a few quid over xmas.

Judge gave me a 100 euro fine. Based on that surely you'll get off with a warning?

No. Your punishment was a disgrace to the justice system. I would hope there aren't too many drugs out there with such an upbeat view on ecstasy.

That's why we need clarity and detail in posts. How do judges make any money from illegality of cannabis?

I'm just guessing here but let's say one third of Judges time is taken up by sitting at cases prosecuting drug dealers/possession. Well then that's one third of their pay coming about, in a roundabout way granted, from prohibition.

• Advertisement

Zambia wrote: »

Lol.

The only way to achieve that would be to punish people very harshly for possession.

Saudi Arabia style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

the sooner Mexico legalizes drugs the better for everyone else, its only a matter of time. the drugs problem will never go away

MagicSean wrote: »
    Most people wouldn't have the time, space, expertise or equipment to grow their own supply

Check out youtube. There's an army of stoners out there doing a fine job of growing it for personal use. Doesn't look at all technical tbh.
    If heroin was made cheaper the addicts would just buy more of it. They don't work on a budget they just crave the high. You can't use logic when talking about a heroine addict.

You're guessing there. Regardless it would be preferable to what we have now with the high amount of crime that orbits heroin addiction.
    Who would uphold these standrds if people were just growing it at home and selling it?

It's a plant. :confused: It probably dies if you don't water it.
    Under 18's for the most part.

Fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

That's why we need clarity and detail in posts. How do judges make any money from illegality of cannabis?

I'm just guessing here but let's say one third of Judges time is taken up by sitting at cases prosecuting drug dealers/possession. Well then that's one third of their pay coming about, in a roundabout way granted, from prohibition.
    Not a chance. District court stuff for the vast majority and I'd say most is public order, drink driving, assault stuff. Drugs are not 1/3 of a DC judge's time and certainly not in the Circuit, High and/or Supeme Courts where I'd say there is very little cannabis related matter.

Even if I accepted that a DJ was spending 1/3 of the day on cannabis, they're not profiting from it. The DJ would still sit and hear other matters, drink/drug driving perhaps - I presume you're not going to say it should be legal to consume cannabis and drive?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Most people wouldn't have the time, space, expertise or equipment to grow their own supply.

From talking to mates who have grown it (Including the guy who was arrested for it that I spoke about earlier), it's actually very easy. To get high yields in small amounts of space, getting a quicker turn around and enabling all year growning, you do need to invest in things like lamps, grow rooms or boxes, and possibly focus on things like hydroponics etc (Depending on your approach). But it's also perfectly possible, in the Irish climate to grow a couple of plants in the conservatory out the back or on a window sill. I have even heard stories about guys who have grown and cultivated it out in the open in a sheltered back garden (during the summer).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

oeb wrote: »
    Most people wouldn't have the time, space, expertise or equipment to grow their own supply.

From talking to mates who have grown it (Including the guy who was arrested for it that I spoke about earlier), it's actually very easy. To get high yields in small amounts of space, getting a quicker turn around and enabling all year growning, you do need to invest in things like lamps, grow rooms or boxes, and possibly focus on things like hydroponics etc (Depending on your approach). But it's also perfectly possible, in the Irish climate to grow a couple of plants in the conservatory out the back or on a window sill. I have even heard stories about guys who have grown and cultivated it out in the open in a sheltered back garden (during the summer).
    Let's refrain from the details eh?

Not a chance. District court stuff for the vast majority and I'd say most is public order, drink driving, assault stuff. Drugs are not 1/3 of a DC judge's time and certainly not in the Circuit, High and/or Supeme Courts where I'd say there is very little cannabis related matter.

I was just throwing it out there. You obviously have greater knowledge on the legal system. Fair enough.
    Even if I accepted that a DJ was spending 1/3 of the day on cannabis, they're not profiting from it.

Well this is where we disagree.
    The DJ would still sit and hear other matters, drink/drug driving perhaps - I presume you're not going to say it should be legal to consume cannabis and drive?!

Yep, and we should be allowed to eat bold children too. :D

I don't think anyone should drive impaired. Actually the roads are the one area that need far more policing imho because the level of skill in the average driver seems pretty atrocious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Not really. They'll get that pay wether they are there til lunch time or til 8pm
    Check out youtube. There's an army of stoners out there doing a fine job of growing it for personal use. Doesn't look at all technical tbh.

The same could be said about growing apples but people still don't do it.
    You're guessing there. Regardless it would be preferable to what we have now with the high amount of crime that orbits heroin addiction.

Not really. Anyone who has dealt with addicts knows the draw it has on them.
    It's a plant. :confused: It probably dies if you don't water it.

i mean maintain a good standard for sale. If you're buyin stuff you want it to be of a minimum quality.

. i mean maintain a good standard for sale. If you're buyin stuff you want it to be of a minimum quality.

To the best of my knowledge they already have standards in the completely illegal market.

People won't buy crap whether it's legal or illegal.

Another thing to consider is that regulation does not automatically guarantee high standards.

The recent breast implant scandal and the faulty prosthetic hips poisoning people being more recent examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Ned_led16

DaDeadly1 wrote: »
    Ok i hope i have this in the right place. I have a bit of a dilemma. My 20 year old brother was caught the other night with 18 ounces of weed. He was suppose to hide it for someone but the gaurds caught him, he was walking down the road with it at 11 o clock at night. I know he doesnt deal drugs, but just smokes the stuff. Anyway he was brought into the garda station etc, Seemingly he is been brought to court for possesion and intent to sell. He has no other convictions and has never been in trouble with the gaurds before, Just a once off silly mistake, He was gonna be givin 200 euro to do the deed, and as he doesnt work at the mo i can understand why he would do it, it being xmas and all. I know what he did was wrong and stupid and its bringin a dark cloud over the family home now for the xmas. Does anyone out there know what he can expect to happen when he does eventually go to court over it. Bare in mind the clean rap sheet before this mistake, would much appreciate the replies.[/QUOTE

Why did he do it? the Judge will want to know..... he must put that right b4 court if he can.........

Talk to Frank Buttimer (hope i can reccommend - if not please delete mods)
    If he doesnt get busy and super quick hes going down for a stretch....( and hes prob going down anyway) perhaps he should start martial arts for protection inside just in case (self defence - also that will keep him sane whilst awaiting court) criminals goto jail and he hes committed a very serious offence.... also if he smokes i guess he did it because hes addicted.... unemployed is no excuse to cart around half a kilo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭wayfarers

Though your brother deserves to be taught a lesson for acting so stupidly its a shame you and the family will feel the repercussions. If he has been squeaky clean until now that is encouraging. Looks like ye'll all be pitching in to get him a decent lawyer. I hope he appreciates what ye do to help him and like other posters have suggested he needs to ditch the gang of mates who helped him into this mess.

wayfarers wrote: »
    he needs to ditch the gang of mates who helped him into this mess.

Pronto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Ned_led16 wrote: »
    Ok i hope i have this in the right place. I have a bit of a dilemma. My 20 year old brother was caught the other night with 18 ounces of weed. He was suppose to hide it for someone but the gaurds caught him, he was walking down the road with it at 11 o clock at night. I know he doesnt deal drugs, but just smokes the stuff. Anyway he was brought into the garda station etc, Seemingly he is been brought to court for possesion and intent to sell. He has no other convictions and has never been in trouble with the gaurds before, Just a once off silly mistake, He was gonna be givin 200 euro to do the deed, and as he doesnt work at the mo i can understand why he would do it, it being xmas and all. I know what he did was wrong and stupid and its bringin a dark cloud over the family home now for the xmas. Does anyone out there know what he can expect to happen when he does eventually go to court over it. Bare in mind the clean rap sheet before this mistake, would much appreciate the replies.[/QUOTE

Why did he do it? the Judge will want to know..... he must put that right b4 court if he can.........

Talk to Frank Buttimer (hope i can reccommend - if not please delete mods)
    If he doesnt get busy and super quick hes going down for a stretch....( and hes prob going down anyway) perhaps he should start martial arts for protection inside just in case (self defence - also that will keep him sane whilst awaiting court) criminals goto jail and he hes committed a very serious offence.... also if he smokes i guess he did it because hes addicted.... unemployed is no excuse to cart around half a kilo.
    just remembered theres a movie where thats part of the main plot

just remembered theres a movie where thats part of the main plot

Or if the worst comes to the worst he could pack his ass crack with peanut butter...

Give it a chance.. :pac:

(NSFW)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

though it was a nasty amount to be lifted with on first offence its better he gets the slap on the hand now than before he moves on to other more serious stuff like b and a class crap this weed rubbish is a gateway to other drugs imo and in the longrun if he turns away from drugs in could be a benifit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

He was suppose to hide it for someone but the gaurds caught him, he was walking down the road with it at 11 o clock at night.
    Just one thing about this sentence; most likely the dealers wanted someone else to hide the stuff as they knew they were under surveillance. Your bro was probably seen coming out of the house, looked like he was fairly nervous and/or high, and a few Gardai were told to intercept him.
    Just a once off silly mistake, He was gonna be givin 200 euro to do the deed
    If he has told the cops this when he got arrested, it'll be recorded, and will be brought up in court.

If he's seen as a mule he'll hopefully get a lesser sentence, but it depends on how badly the politicians want a scrapegoat for our war on drugs when his case goes to court.
    the sooner Mexico legalizes drugs the better for everyone else, its only a matter of time. the drugs problem will never go away
    I'm pretty sure Mexico has already made it legal to be in procession of a small amount of most/all of the drugs, so they can use the resources for more of the "bigger boys and girls". The place is still going to hell in a handbasket, so it's not exactly of any benefit to the Mexicans at the moment.
    Hoffmans wrote: »
    gateway to other drugs
    Everyone who has done drugs has smoked tobacco, but not everyone who smokes tobacco has done drugs. The rest of your point is valid, however, as if he wasn't caught now, he could've been caught later down the line when he's transporting coke from A to B.

the_syco wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure Mexico has already made it legal to be in procession of a small amount of most/all of the drugs, so they can use the resources for more of the "bigger boys and girls". The place is still going to hell in a handbasket, so it's not exactly of any benefit to the Mexicans at the moment.

Mexico pays a very high price for America's penchant for drugs.

Tens of thousand of violent deaths in the last few years.
    http://blog.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2011/09/21/calderon_drug_consumer_countries_morally_obliged_to_cut_demand_consider_market_alte

Calderon: Drug consumer countries 'morally obliged' to cut demand; consider 'market alternatives'

It turns out Mexican President Felipe Calderon's statements on U.S. television hinting at drug legalization this week were a preview of his UNGA speech, in which he suggested "market alternatives" to drug interdiction and singled out the United States specifically. A full text isn't posted yet so these quotes are all from my rushed transcription.
    After discussing the Arab Spring, Calderon pivoted, saying, "We have to be aware that organized crime today is killing more people and more young people than all the dictatorial regimes in the world."

He continued:
    "More than ever, consumer countries, where drugs are consumed, must take effective action to radically cut demand. I will be told that this is not possible. That the demand for drugs continues to rise, as indeed is the case here in the United States, where nearly 30 percent of young people consume drugs. What is the solution?[...]

Consumer countries are morally obliged to reduce the vast economic demand. If you can’t cut it, cut the economic profist. You have to find how to staunch this this demand. Seek out all possible options, including market alternatives, so that drugs trafficking ceases to be a source of violence in Latin America and the Carribean and several African countries.

As if noted before, Latin American heads of state including Calderon's predecessor Vicente Fox tend to become born-again legalizers after they leave office, perhaps since they're no longer feeling the pressure from up north.

A sitting, center-right Mexican president making a speech in New York calling for "market alternatives" to combating drug trafficking would seem to be a pretty major development.

Milton Freidman on how prohibition only makes things worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Happy to comply if and only if the two most damaging drugs according to the Lancet medical journal, ie tobacco and alcohol, are both added to the list with sentences reflecting their greater seriousness as damaging intoxicants.

Otherwise, you get your buzz whatever way you choose and let others get theirs their way, so long as they harm no one else and pay their taxes.

Prohibition doesn't work. The war on drugs is long over. Drugs won. It's time we negotiated the peace for the benefit of all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Happy to comply if and only if the two most damaging drugs according to the Lancet medical journal, ie tobacco and alcohol, are both added to the list with sentences reflecting their greater seriousness as damaging intoxicants.

Otherwise, you get your buzz whatever way you choose and let others get theirs their way, so long as they harm no one else and pay their taxes.

Prohibition doesn't work. The war on drugs is long over. Drugs won. It's time we negotiated the peace for the benefit of all.

The war on drugs is not something that can be won its a constant battle to save lives. Its like the road toll everyone just tries to keep it in check.

If legalizing personnal amounts of pot contribute to that lets do it. Coffee Shops in Ireland are brutal you may as well sell drugs from them. I will happily vote in the party (if I could vote) that dreams it up.

However while the drug is illegal then every person who engages in it has a part in the wider trade. If I recall correctly John Gilligan's* business was in cannabis mostly so if around 1996 someone purchased cannabis. Can they be sure their cash did not go towards the purchase of a firearm that shot and killed a journalist.

* Noted John Gilligan is still only suspected of involvement.

The war on drugs is not something that can be won its a constant battle to save lives. Its like the road toll everyone just tries to keep it in check.

If legalizing personnal amounts of pot contribute to that lets do it. Coffee Shops in Ireland are brutal you may as well sell drugs from them. I will happily vote in the party (if I could vote) that dreams it up.

However while the drug is illegal then every person who engages in it has a part in the wider trade. If I recall correctly John Gilligan's* business was in cannabis mostly so if around 1996 someone purchased cannabis. Can they be sure their cash did not go towards the purchase of a firearm that shot and killed a journalist.

* Noted John Gilligan is still only suspected of involvement.

What part in the 'wider trade' of crime does someone growing four plants in their own home have? Perhaps the soil they bought in Woodies DIY went to the Westies? You tell me.

Anyhow, your argument is exactly why prohibition needs to end. The current system, as Milton Friedman compelling argues in the post above, simply protects the existing cabal of drug gang leaders in their opulence while criminalising end users at enormous cost to the state. See how Portugal have slashed crime rates and improved healthcare and addiction levels simply by decriminalising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

One of me old mates got caught with a few thousand yoyos worth of coke. He got suspended sentence. Fair enough he was dealing and then got in trouble for snorting most of his own stuff. House got raided and he went to councillors, whatever version of aa for drugs etc and cleaned himself up.
    Just cos yer bro had no record doesn't mean he didn't do it before. Just means he wasn't caught.

For the people who are for weed and think cigarettes are as bad if not worse. Ride a motorbike after a few figs and then ride a bike after a few joints. I done both and in this case there is no comparison.
    Don't smoke weed meself but don't see to much wrong with it either tbh.

See how Portugal have slashed crime rates and improved healthcare and addiction levels simply by decriminalising.
    I know what you mean but in the same sense, if murder was decrimilised then the crime rate would go down. I'm not saying murder and a bit of smoke are the same. I'm just saying that any law being decriminalized doesn't get rid of people doing something, it just makes it OK.

seanybiker wrote: »
    I know what you mean but in the same sense, if murder was decrimilised then the crime rate would go down. I'm not saying murder and a bit of smoke are the same. I'm just saying that any law being decriminalized doesn't get rid of people doing something, it just makes it OK.

You misunderstand. ALL crime fell in Portugal because they decriminalised drug possession. Mugging, burglary, common assault all down drastically. Fewer OD's among junkies because they could use monitored shooting galleries where they got assistance in weaning themselves off heroin. Fewer cases of poisoning as a result of people getting 'dodgy' batches. Massive savings for the state in both health and justice.

You misunderstand. ALL crime fell in Portugal because they decriminalised drug possession. Mugging, burglary, common assault all down drastically. Fewer OD's among junkies because they could use monitored shooting galleries where they got assistance in weaning themselves off heroin. Fewer cases of poisoning as a result of people getting 'dodgy' batches. Massive savings for the state in both health and justice.
    Hmm fair enough. I take back my post so and think that in the case of Portugal it worked out well. :) seriously tjaya good. I shall bow out now after getting my ass handed back to me :)

Well apart from driving whilst stoned ;)

• Advertisement

seanybiker wrote: »
    For the people who are for weed and think cigarettes are as bad if not worse. Ride a motorbike after a few figs and then ride a bike after a few joints. I done both and in this case there is no comparison.
    Don't smoke weed meself but don't see to much wrong with it either tbh.

Cannabis is an intoxicant. Tobacco is not. Try comparing like with like. Drivers impaired by cannabis have been found to drive overly slowly and carefully in some studies. They're still impaired and ought not to be on the road, and I'm all for roadside testing for all intoxicants. But they're not as dangerous as someone similarly impaired by alcohol.
    Now, those people who think tobacco is worse than cannabis? That would be the renowned medical journal The Lancet. I'm not sufficiently qualified to tell them they're wrong. Are you?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement