Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Super Duper Off Duty Thread - 2.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,757 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Mr. Rager wrote: »
    It's pretty strict in the SF.
    Would you not have learnt your lesson after the first infraction for player abuse?

Didn't know the 6 card thing. The player abuse rule is just odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,685 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

lol newbie

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Headshot wrote: »
    lol newbie

Oi, quiet down you Infraction Pro using scrub :D

Oi, quiet down you Infraction Pro using scrub :D

I do it with style

Mod has claimed that my 6 infractions are more than 99% of the forum get in 3 years. Had to lol and move on

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

AdamD wrote: »
    Mod has claimed that my 6 infractions are more than 99% of the forum get in 3 years. Had to lol and move on

That's why I use Twitter and rarely use the SF ;) As said above, the SF has always been one of the more stricter forums and it has to be really.

Anyway, Bale is a ****house. Not the first time he has stooped to such antics -

BaleDive.gif

That's why I use Twitter and rarely use the SF ;) As said above, the SF has always been one of the more stricter forums and it has to be really.

Anyway, Bale is a ****house. Not the first time he has stooped to such antics -

BaleDive.gif

Particularly annoys me when he acts outraged when he doesn't get the free kick. Delusional...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Just some clips from CS:GO from the weekend, demo feature is buggy atm so nothing amazing (Only public clips anyway) and the foggy dust **** makes it a little hard to see other team but meh ! Song is too good to stop after those clips so just put some blops clips i had lying about on the end (Most of the song :P).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Probably best if you keep conversations with a mod private. I'd be pissed if mod pm's I sent were being discussed in other fora.

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

Leeg17 wrote: »
    Probably best if you keep conversations with a mod private. I'd be pissed if mod pm's I sent were being discussed in other fora.

Cheers.

=> Private Messages
    => Inbox

Sunday:

Dear Mr. Rager,

I lack the basic penis size requirements to ever pleasure a woman, but that's fine by me 'cause I'm really gay anyways.

7nTnr.png?1309330974

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

I also offer tuition in maths. If you forward him my details, I could make a small fortune.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Just bought a Vita. Took me 10 minutes to figure out where the memory card goes:confused:
    Anyhew goodbye real life see ya in about 6 months!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

Lads, do any of ye have a good idea for a Frape? I have some lad's password and email, and I don't wanna just say "I'm gay" or "I have Aids".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

Lads, do any of ye have a good idea for a Frape? I have some lad's password and email, and I don't wanna just say "I'm gay" or "I have Aids".

Upload a picture of a sonograph (?), you know the scan of a baby in the womb, set it as his display picture and announce he'll be a daddy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Click
    'like'
    On every single sh*t band, celebrity and TV show you can think of, to include every bieber site too...

Change his name a number of times, it'll eventually be locked and he won't be able to change it.. (think the limit's 5)

Music wise I think I was born in the wrong era

You know the south park episode about today's music sounding like ****e, very true

^ Thats just what ole folk say. Its bull****, theres so much good music about these days. Its just that the layer of crap put on radios and nightclubs mask it a bit.

Its not like you can't listen to older music anyway ! Or go to rock bars / concerts if your into 80's rock/metal etc

Far better choice + access to music, 00's + 10's = #winning.

Freebird, voodoo child, Nirvana, RHCPs ( early 90s stuff ) blur etc etc

They don't make proper tunes like them anymore. Nothing ever appeals to me these days. I have to keep going into the past to fill that craving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

They don't make proper tunes like them anymore. Nothing ever appeals to me these days. I have to keep going into the past to fill that craving

Rose-tinted glasses. Plus you took how many bands out of how many years? Twenty years later from now you could do the same with this decade and probably have better quality music with a longer list.

• Advertisement

Main argument from me is that 90s music is miles better fom the majority of crap we hear today.

You prefer that music fine, but it doesn't mean todays music is ****e :D.

Bands like pearl jam and RHCP have released some of their best albums in the last 10 years imo. Bands like kings of leon, Bon Iver, Foo fighters(Lee loves em.. not my cup of tea.. i don't like Nirvana either), alter bridge, Coldplay, Muse, Greenday,band of horses etc have all released what i'd consider great albums in the last 10 years. You mightn't like it, but its defo not ****e :P

Im sure theres plenty of bands out there you'd like, probably just take a bit more searching since your taste probably isn't as "Mainstream" as it would have been in the 90's... most of my favorite bands now, i stumbled across em by accident.

Shiver just went down my spine when I saw kings of Leon ugh

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Thomasheen

I used to be like that but I'd rather live now in regards to music with it being so accessible. Not all new music is terrible either I listen to all sorts and there are some great tunes you just have to look harder since the charts is dominated by factory autotuned crap sung by some ho who's only famous because she's good looking :pac:

Shiver just went down my spine when I saw kings of Leon ugh

minus their last album (Which was half decent imo) the rest of their albums were class imo, again personal taste..

Im guessing they're too mainstream for you headshot ? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭GEasy

Thomasheen wrote: »
    I used to be like that but I'd rather live now in regards to music with it being so accessible. Not all new music is terrible either I listen to all sorts and there are some great tunes you just have to look harder since the charts is dominated by factory autotuned crap sung by some ho who's only famous because she's good looking :pac:

http://qkme.me/36cfkl

LakesKeane wrote: »

Haha, did you see the pic in YLYL the last day (think it was PotD also). It was a pic of USA with a cat, and Japan with a blurry pixelated cat then him under it "if you know what I mean" :D

I think the great thing about music is that it's objective, and nobody's ever right about what's good music. We can all agree though Justin Beiber's a fággot ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭GEasy

Leeg17 wrote: »
    Haha, did you see the pic in YLYL the last day (think it was PotD also). It was a pic of USA with a cat, and Japan with a blurry pixelated cat then him under it "if you know what I mean" :D

I think the great thing about music is that it's objective, and nobody's ever right about what's good music. We can all agree though Justin Beiber's a fággot ;)

Saw that! Funny! You don't have beiber fever so ? Damn.......

LakesKeane wrote: »
    Saw that! Funny! You don't have beiber fever so ? Damn.......

Ach, can't say I have :(:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

There is no comparison between modern music and classic stuff.
    tumblr_lzcnfk7xp91qcb5fko1_500.jpg

There is far too much dirge and tripe in the charts. All decades have p*ss poor artists but there is far more nowadays than in other times. There ratio of good to fcuking dire is widening all the time.

Avoid chart music >

yimrsg wrote: »
    There is no comparison between modern music and classic stuff.
    tumblr_lzcnfk7xp91qcb5fko1_500.jpg

There is far too much dirge and tripe in the charts. All decades have p*ss poor artists but there is far more nowadays than in other times. There ratio of good to fcuking dire is widening all the time.

Who the **** is nicki minaj ! LOL ! Like the new rebecca black ? Lyrical genius she is... tupac would be proud.

I agree that the charts have an abnormal amount of tripe laced in there... for whatever reason a lot of people love awful music... ie... abba... they started it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

When I listen to what's in the charts now (maybe minus LMFAO, Swedish house Mafia) I shed a tear cos it's total shyte, I actually am loving Nova only place where they play The Stunning, No Sweat me happy ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Thought this was cool............

http://www.qwertee.com/product/stuck-semtex/

Magill wrote: »
    Who the **** is nicki minaj ! LOL ! Like the new rebecca black ? Lyrical genius she is... tupac would be proud.

I agree that the charts have an abnormal amount of tripe laced in there... for whatever reason a lot of people love awful music... ie... abba... they started it all.

Hype Williams made the video for that song, he's done videos for Biggie and Tupac so there is a tenuous link to great artists like them. If you got Hype Williams to make a video for you were seriously BIG. It's common practice for "artists" of today to put out several albums a year and they're able to do that because they're aiming at a lower quality/high quantity approach supported with writers making songs for them. You can slag off Abba and the 80's for having crap/cheesy music but there was some dynamite tunes and most of what was made then was made by a few people in a studio without autotune, computers or an unseen legion of song writers.

I saw a dvd on the making of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon and was struck by the making of one song in particular; Time. Basically the intro involves 5 or 6 clocks all going off in quick succession, but since they couldn't record each one individually and splice them together afterwards because of the recording limitations of the day, all of them had to be set up for each attempt and hope they'd go off together in something that didn't resemble a racket. All that effort and takes just for 30 seconds of a song. There are plenty of documentaries on youtube about making that album. Considering the technology available today, the quality of music has declined massively from the days of artists like Pink Floyd.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

hypermuse wrote: »
    is it just me or does this not look like a fat (or at least slightly fatter) Tallon

Hey :(

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Thomasheen

Getting fecking sick of being unemployed. I'll take almost any job at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Thomasheen wrote: »
    Getting fecking sick of being unemployed. I'll take almost any job at this stage

Same, Im heading back to college in September! Can't see anything happening in construction anytime soon so time to move on to something new, and hopefully better!

Hype Williams made the video for that song, he's done videos for Biggie and Tupac so there is a tenuous link to great artists like them. If you got Hype Williams to make a video for you were seriously BIG. It's common practice for "artists" of today to put out several albums a year and they're able to do that because they're aiming at a lower quality/high quantity approach supported with writers making songs for them. You can slag off Abba and the 80's for having crap/cheesy music but there was some dynamite tunes and most of what was made then was made by a few people in a studio without autotune, computers or an unseen legion of song writers.

I saw a dvd on the making of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon and was struck by the making of one song in particular; Time. Basically the intro involves 5 or 6 clocks all going off in quick succession, but since they couldn't record each one individually and splice them together afterwards because of the recording limitations of the day, all of them had to be set up for each attempt and hope they'd go off together in something that didn't resemble a racket. All that effort and takes just for 30 seconds of a song. There are plenty of documentaries on youtube about making that album. Considering the technology available today, the quality of music has declined massively from the days of artists like Pink Floyd.

Ha, thats funny, i was gonna mention my opinion on pink floyd.

Personally i think pink floyd are one of the most overrated bands ever, 2 of their albums are brilliant(Wish you were here and Meddle) everything else they did was either "OK" or "****E" imo. Nirvana/GunsNroses are another 2 bands that are so overrated imo, Nirvana get/got away with so much repetition its not even funny.. and axl pretty much made a mess of guns n roses because hes clearly a massive tit. Few great songs but thats it in my opinion. Most people who'd sit here and argue these bands as "Great" have probably never listened to any of there albums fully.

Again a persons definition of quality music is objective... people who grew up in the 50/60's no doubt thought the music of the 80's was garbage. So saying todays music has declined in quality because you personally don't rate it is stupid(Unless we're talking about the charts only). If you think most of pink floyd's stuff is quality music.. fine, i accept your opinion.

Personally i think pink floyd are one of the most overrated bands ever, 2 of their albums are brilliant(Wish you were here and Meddle) everything else they did was either "OK" or "****E" imo. Nirvana/GunsNroses are another 2 bands that are so overrated imo, Nirvana get/got away with so much repetition its not even funny.. and axl pretty much made a mess of guns n roses because hes clearly a massive tit. Few great songs but thats it in my opinion. Most people who'd sit here and argue these bands as "Great" have probably never listened to any of there albums fully.

Again a persons definition of quality music is objective... people who grew up in the 50/60's no doubt thought the music of the 80's was garbage. So saying todays music has declined in quality because you personally don't rate it is stupid(Unless we're talking about the charts only). If you think most of pink floyd's stuff is quality music.. fine, i accept your opinion.

There is far less artistry in todays music than in the past, the majority of what is produced is reliant on computers, autotune, samples and studio engineering. The point about Pink Floyd was the laborious task of getting clocks to chime at the same time all for the sake of 30 seconds of an intro. All that effort and countless takes for a piece that wasn't intended for the radio.

It's not about what passes for good or bad music or who is overrated or underrated, no point arguing over specific artists as that's entirely subjective to each individual, but the point still stands that modern music by and large is pap. The class average is a lot lower than in the past because so many artists today can't carry a tune without a bucket.

"Good" music imo is still being made but it's few and far between, anyone nowadays can release a song, but that's a double edged sword. Whereas in the past there was hoops to jump through before a record was released, now youtube/x factor/etc grants any buck toothed flabby armed troglodyte with a face like a boiled cat and a guttural mating call that sends animals fleeing an audience of millions.

Here's a couple of questions to ask yourself:
    1. You have a dream gig with your favourite 5 acts from any era, what are they?
    2. You have to sit through 5 entire albums (no best ofs!) and listen to each one in a single sitting, what are your picks?

Now re-answer those questions but limit it to the last 3 years. In the first case it's hard to narrow it down from so many worthy examples and in the second case it's hard to find many worthy acts and albums. The gems are there, but they're harder to find through all the effluent.

• Advertisement

Here's a couple of questions to ask yourself:
    1. You have a dream gig with your favourite 5 acts from any era, what are they?
    2. You have to sit through 5 entire albums (no best ofs!) and listen to each one in a single sitting, what are your picks?

Now re-answer those questions but limit it to the last 3 years. In the first case it's hard to narrow it down from so many worthy examples and in the second case it's hard to find many worthy acts and albums. The gems are there, but they're harder to find through all the effluent.

... obviously its going to be easier to make a list from any era... what kind of **** is that lol.

I'll just do the last 3 years one for the second question.

Alter Bridge - III
    Pearl Jam - Back Spacer
    Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
    Bon Iver - Bon Iver
    Kings of Leon - Only by the Night (I know a lot of their orginal fans hate that they've gone all "mainstream".. i still loved this album tho)

Easy(tho,It wasn't easy to choose my top5 actually).

I get what your saying, that there is so much crap in the spotlight these days. But theres still so much great music being released.. not as hard to find as you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Personally i think pink floyd are one of the most overrated bands ever, 2 of their albums are brilliant(Wish you were here and Meddle) everything else they did was either "OK" or "****E" imo.
    Nirvana/GunsNroses are another 2 bands that are so overrated imo, Nirvana get/got away with so much repetition its not even funny.. and axl pretty much made a mess of guns n roses because hes clearly a massive tit. Few great songs but thats it in my opinion. Most people who'd sit here and argue these bands as "Great" have probably never listened to any of there albums fully.

3cd8a33a.png?1306264975

15353534.jpg

You sir, are retarded.

You sir, are retarded.

Huh ? Where did i say they were better ? Are you unable to read the numerous times where i stated what people consider good music is entirely subjective ? I personally don't like much of what Pink Floyd have released(And yes.. i've listened to all their albums). get over it.

Also, no need to be abusive big man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

modern music is definitely less artistic than previous generations, not that the 60's, 70's 80's etc didnt have their fair share of absolute tosh as well but it seems mediocrity and having nothing to say is the way to musical success these days, just autotune over some rubbish lyrics and appeal to certain demographics and away you go. our parents listened to the beatles and led zeppelin in the charts and we have sh1te like justin bieber whose lyrics consist of nothing but "baby baby baby" and soulless cover bands like westlife. I worked in hmv for years and got a real musical education there, listening to stuff I would have never dreamed I'd like, from jazz to to country to classical and everything along the way. I'm a big movie score fan, my ipod has about 90% soundtracks instead of albums from bands, I just like what I like tbh, but I do find myself listening to older music the older I get, there are only a handful of current bands I like. now lets all get along and listen to some random kick ass music shall we? y'know stuff that has actual instruments not something a computer spat out over an afternoon like most of the chart and club sh1t we're subjected to these days.

Nostalgia's blocking your view.

I do wonder why I cant see some YouTube videos on my iPad 2. For example, I can only see video 2 and video 5 of krudlers post

Im guessing ipads are considered mobile devices, you can stop people from viewing your videos on mobiles etc.

Im guessing ipads are considered mobile devices, you can stop people from viewing your videos on mobiles etc.

I did not know that but I'm able to see the videos on my Samsung galaxy s2 phone

Strange one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I can only see 2 and 5 on iPhone, see them all on laptop

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

• Advertisement
Advertisement