Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Duper Off Duty Thread - 2.0

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

"This #ValentinesDay, toss a Semtex to tell that special someone, “I’m stuck on you.”

Sad :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Kells...

cfbad4a9f2f297846dfcc73m.png

O.o The foooook

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

0C37DBE9-5A51-4802-84E2-F364F6F38E8A_extra.jpg
    Although his is spelt with one less L.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,709 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

We're in the same college as this guy Ade :pac:

AdamD wrote: »

We're in the same college as this guy Ade :pac:

Aye. Got a mate who knows him well. Getting a lot of hate for it, but I think it's brilliant... in a comical manner of course :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

click

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

2 hour java lecture... Gaaaaay. On the brightside... Cs:go expanded the beta today.. But i didn't get in :(

Hardly surprising in fairness, goes for the majority of away day supporters including your supporters. I personally prefer away days, being in the lions den per say is such a buzz. From talking to people who support the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool or United, Home games bar the big ones at times is damn quiet, that's been my experience of the above grounds too.

As for the abuse towards Suarez, well from what I heard on Saturday. You could barely hear a peep at times from the United faithful first 5 mins, last 10 mins and goals aside.. but when United fans kicked up a fuss - it was either booing, singing about Heysel, Hillsborough, calling our club racist scum, bin dippers.. and funny enough the Park song was sung which is considered by a lot of Koreans to be racist which makes me smile greatly :) Let's not forget good aul Schmeichael's episode with Ian Wright in the late 90's. Ooooh ahhhh Cantona too (yes the fan he kicked was scum, doesn't justify what he did!). The latter was lauded by many Manchester United fans and laughed off too by the media as well come the time he returned. Before it's said, I'm sure there were some Liverpool supports making reference to Munich which is also pathetic and scummish (not a word I know) behavior of course.

In saying all that, both Suarez and Evra and contes, and both are prone to a lie or two. I'm not defending what Suarez did btw. Tbh, the hypocrisy and sheer obvious nature and points scoring over an issue such as racism is the most baffling thing from supporters and media a like is the most annoying aspect for me. Sky's montage 5 mins before KO said it all. Lapping it up. Had to bite my finger a few times in the soccer forum, if you ever wanted to find out who the cretins from both sides are. The racism and match thread from Saturday is all you need the look at. Few posts in the gambling thread also I've had to let slide for the sake of it. Faux pas and moral police spring to mind for many, of course some are genuine.

Sorry for the long post, I've kept quiet online for the most part (so not to get banned during the heat of the moment days) and a little bit of this post is blowing off steam I guess.. not aimed at yourself in particular Enigma but on a wider scale if you get me.

Didn't want to go back to this topic ^ but had to post this as it's a excellent read when the majority of high moral police ****e from the media + supporters has been in full flow for awhile now -
    Andy Mitten: Extremists among Manchester United and Liverpool fans have obscured racism issue

Feb 15 2012

OLD Trafford’s best atmosphere of the season began to subside as the remaining home fans left the stadium. Near the travelling supporters, a steward gave a teen United fan one last warning.

“Leave the ground now,” he shouted, pointing to the exit after Saturday’s game. He’d seen enough goading. On the forecourt outside, a policeman marched another teenager away. He was drunk and was told to “stop making a nuisance of your yourself or you’re getting nicked.”

The lad slowly stumbled down Sir Matt Busby Way cursing the police and Liverpool FC. Luis Suarez’s latest mistake had given him something to hang his hatred on, a chance to claim the moral high ground.

There will always be extremists who thrive on hate. I’ve seen United fans delight in self-righteousness after viewing an online video of some Liverpool fans singing Munich songs. They were not upset, but pleased because in their warped minds, it proved that all Liverpool fans were scum. That, in turn, justified songs about Hillsborough. It’s playground politics with a pathetic twist.

I’ve heard Liverpool fans spread false rumours about United fans urinating on the Hillsborough memorial, proof in their tiny minds that all United fans are scum. These empty vessels make a lot of noise – and they have more opportunities to with the proliferation of social media.

Twitter and Facebook has given them a place to vent their spleen, often anonymously. They pass on baseless rumours and invent stories. How very brave, how commendable, of them.

In 1999, I read Powder by the Scouse writer Kevin Sampson. It was sublime, the best book of the year. We requested an interview for the fanzine United We Stand. Sampson wasn’t expecting that and it was a first for us. A one-hour interview in a Lime Street bar turned into 16 hours in Liverpool, where I was prodded by his mates and questioned like I was an alien.

We had our biggest ever mailbag a month later. Not everyone liked it, but the overwhelming gist was: “We don’t like them and they don’t like us, but we have much in common and there’s a grudging respect.”

I’ve met many decent Liverpool fans since. Normal people who support their football team, have pride in their city, like music, clothes and can’t pronounce “chicken” correctly.

When it came to football, we didn’t find agreement because we weren’t looking for it. Liverpool hated Gary Neville, while Luis Suarez now gives United followers reasons to criticise.

They followed their team, we followed ours. They got shafted by ridiculous ticket prices, games being switched to suit foreign audiences and American owners who knew the price of everything and the value of nothing. So did we.

Sometimes they won, sometimes we won, them and us. I got a text off one, Peter Hooton, of The Farm and The End fame, after that match in Istanbul in 2005. It read: “I know how you felt in Barcelona.” He was right.

In a Manchester pub packed with United’s hardcore after Saturday’s game, some lads had seen Hooton on Soccer AM earlier and opined that he was miles sharper than every other guest. Which, judging by the usual cast, is a smarty head from an indie band who discovered football when he was 22. The United fans had more in common with Hooton. He got it.

I didn’t see the programme because I was at the BBC’s new home in Salford to do an interview for Five Live with another Liverpool fan, Andrew Heaton. He spoke more sense about the Suarez/Evra situation than anyone I’d heard.

He wasn’t point-scoring and he certainly wasn’t sticking up for Suarez or Kenny Dalglish, a man he held in the highest regard, but not a man free from errors of judgement. And that was before the game.

And that should be what comes of this sorry affair – no longer giving the time of day to the posturing, bile and paranoia of the far too vocal, extremist minorities on both sides who have had a field day, and who have obscured the central issue of what constitutes racism on the field of play and how it should be dealt with.

Magill wrote: »
    2 hour java lecture... Gaaaaay. On the brightside... Cs:go expanded the beta today.. But i didn't get in :(

Kill me now....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Anyone else planning on picking up the new ufc game this week?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Meatwad wrote: »
    Anyone else planning on picking up the new ufc game this week?

I dunno yet,I really enoyed Ea mma but I found the striking in the demo to be quite slow and sluggish....

I'll pick it up if someone else does eg Perry.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

That's a cute nickname for Perrin

I sometimes like to call him Perri Perri chicken due to his hiding of his name.

I might rent it one weekend if I'm bored.

There's more than enough UFC on TV to be watching, numbered cards, FOX cards, Fuel cards, TUF, Brazilian TUF, not to mention the countdown and primetime shows. :D

I'll pick it up if someone else does eg Perry.

I guess its a choice of which console then......
    I sometimes like to call him Perri Perri chicken due to his hiding of his name.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSSZN0WZgSzxX59qrsNuxyfvkGyX6bpOGH9ZLgALaWfTM7vftHyC90ueTl9zg
    Leeg17 wrote: »
    I might rent it one weekend if I'm bored.

There's more than enough UFC on TV to be watching, numbered cards, FOX cards, Fuel cards, TUF, Brazilian TUF, not to mention the countdown and primetime shows.

You shud try out the demo,even though I don't like striking in it,nothing like an anderson silva crane kick to the face!!

Your choice haha!!!
    Just once your not on last stand bogband.

Your choice haha!!!
    Just once your not on last stand bogband.

Come june I'll be back to it
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTK_UCq8pJ-FGrbTsojbboO8Ej-1OFtCUT-rDzaUpgEJ0vHE3RNtnvIUAeEnw

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    You shud try out the demo,even though I don't like striking in it,nothing like an anderson silva crane kick to the face!!

What a man! :D

This popped up in the MMA forum, don't know if you saw it Perrin

Ya I saw it I wonder wud he get KTFO if he came up against a decent striker.

(good finish though)

• Advertisement

It'd be an interesting fight, same with the Stephen Thompson lad who got the KO in the prelims for 143. Had his guard down 90% of the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

is it just me or does this not look like a fat (or at least slightly fatter) Tallon

At least he got some exercise outta of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

That lad looks outta breath just talking! I'd say standing up made him really angry :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

hypermuse wrote: »
    is it just me or does this not look like a fat (or at least slightly fatter) Tallon

Batman really let himself go...

Forgot to post this other day. Love Murray since I saw Caddyshack many moons ago :D

****ing god damn it steam !

Just bought the complete GTA pack for 20quid.. clearly never gonna play most of them :(

Y U SELL GAMES SO CHEAP !
    yunoguy.jpg

Bought so many games on steam in the last month that'll i'll not really get any time to play ! At least till the summer :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭GEasy

Magill wrote: »
    ****ing god damn it steam !

Just bought the complete GTA pack for 20quid.. clearly never gonna play most of them :(

Y U SELL GAMES SO CHEAP !
    yunoguy.jpg

Bought so many games on steam in the last month that'll i'll not really get any time to play ! At least till the summer :(

noob, I got them for a tenner

pffft ! I missed the christmas sale... raging.

• Advertisement

Lol first horse racing bet since Ascot last year and I win.

Advertisement