Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Everything Else Hip Hop

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

No biggie! I admit thats hes not totally repetitive and that I'm probably out of line their but I've just noticed with his stuff of late that it seems he's running out of things to say so he's just going back to the past and stuff. I don't want to hear that. I've got his old stuff to do that. But I shouldn't judge him solely on that I guess. Naivety of youth I guess..sorta! Speaking of Cube and Ra. Whats happening with Rakim? Haven't heard much from him in ages. I know Cube's dropping a new album this year. Cube is great though. Probably has one of the best discographys in hip hop. He literally was the king of the early 90's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

No biggie! I admit thats hes not totally repetitive and that I'm probably out of line their but I've just noticed with his stuff of late that it seems he's running out of things to say so he's just going back to the past and stuff.

9/10 rappers are repetitive, you could nit pick any rapper and call him out for being repetitive. I Keep saying it, theres very little room to manuver in gangsta rap, once you portray that image its very hard to branch out without being labelled a sell out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

9/10 rappers are repetitive, you could nit pick any rapper and call him out for being repetitive. I Keep saying it, theres very little room to manuver in gangsta rap, once you portray that image its very hard to branch out without being labelled a sell out.

Are not labeling Krs a gangsta rapper? If so I think 9/10 of his career outweighs his first album.

Of course Krs repeats himself, he has been of for 25 or so years. Eminem repeats himself and has been out for much less time for example.

Are not labeling Krs a gangsta rapper? If so I think 9/10 of his career outweighs his first album.

Of course Krs repeats himself, he has been of for 25 or so years. Eminem repeats himself and has been out for much less time for example.

I wouldn't class krs a gangsta rapper at all really, he's too smart and tbh too much of an all round MC to be categorized in any hip hop sub genre.

But I was referring to biggie thats why i quoted part of the come ups comment. To be fair the come up wasnt really slating biggie either, he was telling the truth, i was just trying to get a point across that pretty much all rappers are repetitive especially gangsta rappers... i mean gangsta rapper it says it all, anything outside that bracket their labelled soft and sell outs.

Thats what i mean though, any rapper can be nit-picked for being repetitive even the greatest of MC, its not fair to just highlight big for it. Most rappers who have stemmed from the selling of drugs on the streets rap about it because it was there life and their past experiences, Estelle even said that last night on the hip hop debate show, what do people expect 50 cent to rap about ? he was shot 9 times, selling drugs etc he can hardly vouch to be a college dropout like kanye or a battle rapper like eminem etc.

I wouldn't class krs a gangsta rapper at all really, he's too smart and tbh too much of an all round MC to be categorized in any hip hop sub genre.

But I was referring to biggie thats why i quoted part of the come ups comment. To be fair the come up wasnt really slating biggie either, he was telling the truth, i was just trying to get a point across that pretty much all rappers are repetitive especially gangsta rappers... i mean gangsta rapper it says it all, anything outside that bracket their labelled soft and sell outs.

Thats what i mean though, any rapper can be nit-picked for being repetitive even the greatest of MC, its not fair to just highlight big for it. Most rappers who have stemmed from the selling of drugs on the streets rap about it because it was there life and their past experiences, Estelle even said that last night on the hip hop debate show, what do people expect 50 cent to rap about ? he was shot 9 times, selling drugs etc he can hardly vouch to be a college dropout like kanye or a battle rapper like eminem etc.

Ok, yeah makes sense and is pretty much my opinion (as much as I love Biggie his repetitiveness and lack of material (not his fault obviously) stops me from ranking him anywhere near my top 10)

Exactly some rappers are more generalists and some are more specific.

Some are in between.

I don't even know how this came up anymore, this whole Krs thing in a Kendrick thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Anybody can criticise anybody, it's all about opinion man. For instance i criticise basically everything Drake and Lil Wayne do even though I've only heard about 10 songs from each one of them, which is enough because they're diabolical. Criticise Rakim for all we care, I've criticised Pac a few times for fúck sake :D

Nah I can't agree with that, not defending those two artists but I really think it's unfair to listen to a song or two of someone's work and then deciding that their shít. If I had done that, I would've missed out on hundreds of excellent songs from people that I had previously written off as crap because of one mainstream single or an album where they were experimenting with a new style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Mr. Rager wrote: »
    Nah I can't agree with that, not defending those two artists but I really think it's unfair to listen to a song or two of someone's work and then deciding that their shít. If I had done that, I would've missed out on hundreds of excellent songs from people that I had previously written off as crap because of one mainstream single or an album where they were experimenting with a new style.

i clearly said i've heard about 10 songs from each of them, and i hated every minute of it. They're talentless over-promoted gimps and i've never hated a pair of musicians as much in my life.

Odd Future^

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

When I first listened to Drake, I couldnt understand what the big swing was about. But I did eventually listen to Thank Me Later and thought it was pretty decent. But I can completely understand why he is not liked.

As for Lil Wayne, his music is a big bad of sh*te. I'm in total agreement with P4DDY2K11 on that one. I only liked his 6'7 track, that was mainly for the beat, defintly not for his appearance on the song.

As for KRS, he can be way too preachy on songs. I cant listen to him for extended periods, except for the Return of the Boom Bap and I Got Next. His Survical Skills album with Buckshot is also dope.

^Go DJ and Dr. Carter are probably the only Wayne tracks I listen to regularly....which is like maybe once a month. But I like them tracks. Drake actually isn't that bad. Waste of talent imo...better off leaving Young Money but the green is too good there obviously regardless of Birdman being a stingy c*nt....

I think I'll stop going on about KRS haha....maybe tomorrow!

Actually while I'm listening to Prodigy atm...he's doing a collab album with Jim Jones of Dipset...couldn't care but just saw it on hiphopdx...P's fallen off hard

• Advertisement

i clearly said i've heard about 10 songs from each of them, and i hated every minute of it. They're talentless over-promoted gimps and i've never hated a pair of musicians as much in my life.

Lol :P

Maybe I should have made myself more clear.

I wasn't talking about Drake and Lil Wayne, nor about you. I was speaking in generalities.

It seems that a lot of people, both on this forum and IRL, tend to judge MCs far too quickly. I, for instance, never really gave both Kanye and Jay-Z, for instance, enough of a chance because I had heard only their mainstream singles and didn't particularly like what I heard very much. In the last few months, however, I have begun to listen them both on the daily.

Thats just the way it is because there is so much music out there, you have to judge quickly.

50, kanye, jay and kendrick are 4 people I judged way too quickly but backtracked big time later on.

But Drake and Wayne and OF are nowhere near any of those 4 really and you can be 99% sure your first reaction will stick because of their style.

I agree that OF are wack but Earl Sweatshirt is a monster. I think we can all admit that. The guy is younger than me (I think) but he spits like Big Pun just not as dope of course. But still if that guy gets out of the whole Wolf Gang crap, which is going to happen soon because Tyler is becoming irrelevant fast, he could have a very very good career ahead of him if he gets managed right. Personally I don't like his delivery atm but he's young, it's gonna change and mature as he gets older. His rhyme schemes are bananas. Plus his lyrics are gonna mature when he gets older. But yeah I agree, you hear one track by OF, you've heard the lot. Same with Wayne. Not so much with Drake. I'm not ashamed for liking Drake. He makes pretty decent music considering most mainstream bullsh*t. Still though, Bobby Ray is my favourite radio rap guy!

Tyler isnt becoming irrelevant fast, if anything he's becoming more relevant, he was just given a spot on some show on MTV, i can't remember what it is though.

But musically I mean? His last album was trash and even guys like Nas have gone from a certain track on Life Is Good to not even mentioning him now. Dude is definitely getting more fame thats a given, but his music career *I think* is getting wacker and eventually is in it's dying days. Maybe I'm being too blunt here which I've a shocking tendency to do but compare him to Frank or even MellowHype. Them guys are going from strength to strength.

Earl is young, if he was not young he would not be talked about imo.

His lyrics are painfully average as is his actual rapping.

His rhymes really strike me though. And give him time to mature and time to get is ass outta OF and I think a real proper lyricist in there.

i have to say i cringed for nas in this video, why do rappers have moments like these lol

fair enough he got the shift but this is a soft look nasty, now this a publicity move at its best, smart. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭SdoowSirhc

Tyler isnt becoming irrelevant fast, if anything he's becoming more relevant, he was just given a spot on some show on MTV, i can't remember what it is though.
    Discussion about OF :eek: Agh I missed it! Yeah, I think Tyler was on Punk'd or something on MTV. I agree with what was said there, I don't think he will do as good as Frank or Hodgy in the future with the mainstream hip hop audience. I think Frank could really bring his stuff to a broader audience soon enough

You guys here hate them but I'm a huge fan (don't judge me...) But they are going nowhere as a collective. Earl, Mellowhype and Mike G need to branch out from the group and persue their own careers. Frank has already started this and on the other side of the group, The Internet (Syd tha Kid and Matt Martians) have gotten their album out with no sign of any of the other OF guys appearing on it. Tyler is dope in my opinion but he is holding back the few with potential.

Thats just the way it is because there is so much music out there, you have to judge quickly.

50, kanye, jay and kendrick are 4 people I judged way too quickly but backtracked big time later on.

But Drake and Wayne and OF are nowhere near any of those 4 really and you can be 99% sure your first reaction will stick because of their style.

Very true, wasn't really talking about Paddy in this instance as I guess it's fair enough to judge people who have already been declared as pretty bad quickly. Was just picking up on something I've seen regularly, something I've done myself.

• Advertisement

Mr. Rager wrote: »
    Was just picking up on something I've seen regularly, something I've done myself.

We've all done it, there is just way too much stuff out to give it all full attention.

The good stuff always bubbles back up again anyway.

I know it's not the most reliable sites in the world but Nas' wikipedia page has a compilation album listed to come out this year, it's "the lost tapes vol 2". Anybody heard anything about this? I like the original lost tapes.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I know it's not the most reliable sites in the world but Nas' wikipedia page has a compilation album listed to come out this year, it's "the lost tapes vol 2". Anybody heard anything about this? I like the original lost tapes.
    There was talks of Lost Tapes 2 last year or earlier this year, but it was shelved because of label difficulties. Nas said he hoped to get it out someday, but his label wont acknowledge it as a label release, and there are contractual blah blah blahs around that.

Directed by the one and only RZA, I'm looking forward to it purely because of him.

I heard that The Lost Tapes 2 was gonna be a free album given with Life Is Good but that has obviously been scrapped. Hope it comes out though. Could be the last 'real' Nas release we get bar if the planned collab albums drop. Actually speaking of Esco, I heard Life Is Good leaked...I did a quick search of my usual sites but no stuff there. But I'll let ye know if I find anything. Actually can you post file sharing links here? I've read that copyright thread but I'm a little stupid that way...so yeah can you post direct links to albums?

TheComeUp wrote: »
    I heard that The Lost Tapes 2 was gonna be a free album given with Life Is Good but that has obviously been scrapped. Hope it comes out though. Could be the last 'real' Nas release we get bar if the planned collab albums drop. Actually speaking of Esco, I heard Life Is Good leaked...I did a quick search of my usual sites but no stuff there. But I'll let ye know if I find anything. Actually can you post file sharing links here? I've read that copyright thread but I'm a little stupid that way...so yeah can you post direct links to albums?

You can only post links to music that is officially free, that has been made free by the artist or label.

There is a Free Hip-Hop Thread sticky where you can put all that.

Anything illegal is bannable.

Actually seeing that we're nearly officially at the half way mark of the year...should we/someone make a thread devoted to the mid way hip hop awards and get everyone to do theirs? Like best album, mixtape, ep, artist, producer, track, new comer, underrated albums etc. Boom_Bap you seem to be one of if not the main guy(s) here. How about you do it? Or if you don't wanna just scrap the idea non problemo :P

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    You can only post links to music that is officially free, that has been made free by the artist or label.

There is a Free Hip-Hop Thread sticky where you can put all that.

Anything illegal is bannable.

I was guessing that...just making sure :D

TheComeUp wrote: »
    Boom_Bap you seem to be one of if not the main guy(s) here. How about you do it? Or if you don't wanna just scrap the idea non problemo :P

Him and the other elusive moderator are the main guys here, he's also the guru (no pun intended) when it comes to hip hop here. :D

And fire away yourself if you wanna start one of those threads up, sounds interesting man.

• Advertisement

I think that we tried that before, but there was only a handful of posters at the time, and everyone had a different taste.

So it might work now as there is more activity here. Maybe if you start a thread with a template like:

Best Album:
    Best EP:
    Best Song:
    Best Mixtape:

And then everyone copies that into thier post and fills it in. And then at the end of the year we can tot it up.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I think that we tried that before, but there was only a handful of posters at the time, and everyone had a different taste.

So it might work now as there is more activity here. Maybe if you start a thread with a template like:

Best Album:
    Best EP:
    Best Song:
    Best Mixtape:

And then everyone copies that into thier post and fills it in. And then at the end of the year we can tot it up.
    Great idea :cool:

Anyone know more about Thayod Ausar, who produced a few songs for Xzibit (paparazzi and carry the weight for example)

I can not find much info on him, seems like a great producer from what little I have heard.

Anyone know more about Thayod Ausar, who produced a few songs for Xzibit (paparazzi and carry the weight for example)

I can not find much info on him, seems like a great producer from what little I have heard.

I remember looking at the credits on At The Speed of LIfe and wondering who he was. Looks like he's done a bit for The Liks, X and G-Unit

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Thayod+Ausar#p=1&t=Credits_All

I was looking for him a while back as well after listening to at the speed of life and i found his discography but not much else.

I was looking for him a while back as well after listening to at the speed of life and i found his discography but not much else.

SNAP!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Oleg Luzhny

i have to say i cringed for nas in this video, why do rappers have moments like these lol

fair enough he got the shift but this is a soft look nasty, now this a publicity move at its best, smart. :D

Yeah, it's cringe-worthy stuff indeed. Reminds me of this:

Especially the second half of the video when Common is singing and dancing around the place. :eek:

7471687774_d5bc9fa25e.jpg
    hip hop pic by paddy ryan2011, on Flickr

A friend showed me this and it hits the nail right on the head when it comes to listing the greats of hip hop, had to share it. Sorry i cant resize the picture.

^^
    [Troll]Where's Lil Wayne and Nicki Minaj?[/Troll]

The Wu, only a symbol thats how much they mean.

They should really teach Business/Economics/Marketing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

#BeefsBetterThanDrakeAndChrisBrowns is trending on Twitter at the moment. Some pretty funny suggestions in there. It's such an embarrassing beef really. It's doing nothing for either of them.

Powerpuff Girls & Mojojojo
    Rick Ross Vs The Treadmill
    Tom & Jerry
    Mufasa vs Scar
    Stone Cold Steve Austin vs Vince McMahon9
    Buzz Lightyear vs Emperor Zurg
    When Spongebob and Patrick stopped being bestfriends for like 10 minutes
    Ash Ketchum, Brock, & Misty vs Team Rocket
    Sideshow Bob & Bart Simpson

• Advertisement

TweetMe!?! wrote: »
    Yeah, it's cringe-worthy stuff indeed. Reminds me of this:

Especially the second half of the video when Common is singing and dancing around the place. :eek:

lol thats funny, i honestly dont know what goes through their heads!.. I think a what the fu*k were they thinking thread is in order :D

snoop deserves a serous mention for this sweat song, number 1 its straight commercial trash but more importantly he just looks beyond cringe-worthy in the video. Usually snoop can pull of most things but this is just horrible , he's sold ut so much in recent years, that katy perry song also springs to mind.

Best Album:
    Best EP:
    Best Song:
    Best Mixtape:

thats a good idea, should get that going. :)

eminem call s into shade 45 with dj whoo kid, nice interview pays tribute to beastie boys near the end.

Just seen this posted on FaceBook

487827_394595233931068_1434688760_n.jpg

That's class! :D first person i saw was slick, didnt even know that was Rick Ross until it said "if you looked at rick ross you failed", I'm gonna have to steal that for my facebook.

I love Slick. He is the king of bling. Who else would get away with wearing a gold eye patch.

Have a look at this performance on David Letterman back in '07. Slick comes on around the 2:45 mark. He's wearing gold grills, a gold bracelet, a gold ring and about 15 solid gold necklaces that are big enough to pass as a Mayor's chain. It's so unnecessary, and would look ridiculous on every other rapper in the world. Slick pulls the look off effortlessly though.

Lots of rumours flying around Twitter all day and into the night that Frank Ocean has come out as a bisexual. Haven't found any proper sources on it except for an unreliable enough looking website. Another rumour is linking him with RnB singer Miguel.

If it's true then it'd be pretty funny considering the criticism that Odd Future, and in particular, Tyler face over apparent notions of homophobia. I don't care whether he likes women or men or both, all I care about is that he continues making good music.

I highly doubt that it is true. It was probably started by someone who had nothing better to be at.

Lots of rumours flying around Twitter all day and into the night that Frank Ocean has come out as a bisexual. Haven't found any proper sources on it except for an unreliable enough looking website. Another rumour is linking him with RnB singer Miguel.

If it's true then it'd be pretty funny considering the criticism that Odd Future, and in particular, Tyler face over apparent notions of homophobia. I don't care whether he likes women or men or both, all I care about is that he continues making good music.

I highly doubt that it is true. It was probably started by someone who had nothing better to be at.
    Not really true, Syd the Kid is their primary producer and touring DJ and she's lesbian :P But you can't be homophobic to lesbians...
    I could see this being possibly true though :eek:

SdoowSirhc wrote: »
    Not really true, Syd the Kid is their primary producer and touring DJ and she's lesbian :P But you can't be homophobic to lesbians...
    I could see this being possibly true though :eek:

Well I'm only going on what I've read. They were banned from a concert in New Zealand last year because of their homophobic lyrics, and some female artist wrote an open letter to Tyler and the music industry at large criticising his homophobic and misogynistic lyrics.

I thought Syd tha Kid was a Lesbian? Nothing to do with Frank Ocean but is Tyler Homophobic? Odd.

What is important about this imo is that yet again OF are in the media but not for their music.

What is important about this imo is that yet again OF are in the media but not for their music.

To be fair I think Frank is seen more as a solo artist than as an OF member these days.

• Advertisement
Advertisement