Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Everything Else Hip Hop

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

De La Soul were putting up their music for free download off their website the other day for a limited period. Anyone catch that?

Only hearing it now the offer is over.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

De La Soul were putting up their music for free download off their website the other day for a limited period. Anyone catch that?

Only hearing it now the offer is over.

Yep, I reckon I have it all on physical already, so it saves me the effort of ripping them :) Was only available for 24 hours.

They have an EP and LP due this year as well, one of them is half produced by Premo, the other half by Pete Rock......at least I think it's DeLa that has this.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Want to see Action Bronson perform a swan dive from a yacht?

Nice little docu on ODB and his problems with the law

I walked in the door yesterday evening and the missus was sitting with the laptop open and was playing this on youtube:

This took me by suprise, I asked her how she got to watching a Killarmy video on youtube.
    She was looking at the side projects from the members of System Of A Down, and came accross something which I had completely forgotten about. Achozen was a group that RZA was part of with the guitarist from SOAD and Kinetic 9 from Killarmy. This is what got my missus listening to Killarmy...she is not a hip hop head at all really.

So now it's time to remind myself about Achozen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

This is an excellent interview with Big Noyd, goes behind the process of how he got started in music, how he f*cked up his career twice, how Mobb Deep albums were made, how he got groupies.....there is loads in here:

http://www.unkut.com/2014/03/big-noyd-the-unkut-interview/

And if you are wondering who Big Noyd is, get a listen to Episode of a Hustla.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Do you ever do karaoke?
    Nah, I don't do karaoke, I do Freddieoke.

What does Freddieoke involve?
    That's like singing in the shower, singing butt-naked when you're fúcking a bítch and just bustin' out shít at random times.

What's a classic Freddieoke song?
    A classic Freddieoke song is "Contagious" by the Isley Brothers and R. Kelly. [Sings "What the hell is going on between the sheets in my home?"] That's a classic Freddieoke song.

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/music/2014/03/freddie_gibbs_interview.php?page=2

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Brendan Filone

Excellent Wu-Tang Clan 20th Anniversary article:

http://grantland.com/features/wu-tang-clan-20th-anniversary-reunion-rza-gza-ghostface/

Article is pretty long but is a must read, interviewer speaks to everyone (except for ODB obviously). As a fan it can be depressing reading about the group dysfunction. It's mind-blowing these guys can still actively tour and create tracks with each other.

Excellent Wu-Tang Clan 20th Anniversary article:

http://grantland.com/features/wu-tang-clan-20th-anniversary-reunion-rza-gza-ghostface/

Article is pretty long but is a must read, interviewer speaks to everyone (except for ODB obviously). As a fan it can be depressing reading about the group dysfunction. It's mind-blowing these guys can still actively tour and create tracks with each other.

That's pretty excellent.

There's a link to this ODB interview which is pretty eye opening -> http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2002/mar/22/shopping.artsfeatures

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭HighClass

The artist formerly known as Diddy has changed his name back to Puff Daddy for his new album. He's not known for great music but Bad Boy For Life & I'll Be Missing You are tunes still!

http://www.pitchfork.com/news/54484-diddy-is-puff-daddy-again-teases-new-single/

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭MattHelders

Can anyone give me some info about Nas' autobiography, It Ain't Hard To Tell?

All is says after a google search is that is it supposed to be released in 2012. Can't seem to find it on Amazon or anything. Didn't he just not release it?

Can anyone give me some info about Nas' autobiography, It Ain't Hard To Tell?

All is says after a google search is that is it supposed to be released in 2012. Can't seem to find it on Amazon or anything. Didn't he just not release it?

Thanks for the reminder on this....the book has never come out though from what I can tell. I've looked up the publisher press releases, they have the press release for the announcement, but nothing after that. So I'd say it's never happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

You guys might enjoy this podcast that I listen to, If There's Hell Below. Two guys in London play a variety of genres of tracks, usually releases from that week. Not all hip-hop but always a few tracks on there at least. Plus some satirical chat.

Additionally, The Music Snobs is an incredible roundtable discussion podcast about hip hop and black music in general. Highly recommended.

I'm not really one for a podcast, but I'm listening to one of The Hell Below ones now. Seems like they are knowledgeable dudes and the music aint bad at all.

The only one podcast that I listen to is The Rogglecast. It a hip hop producer called Blockhead and his writer friend Polyne discussing a variety of topics. There is no music in it, but lots of New Yorker honesty.

https://soundcloud.com/rogglecast

A few tour/groupie tales slip in which are good for a laugh.

I'm sure there are some Game Of Thrones fans here

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Nas on Fallon (tonight show) is pretty immense. From last night or the night before. So so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

lordgoat wrote: »
    Nas on Fallon (tonight show) is pretty immense. From last night or the night before. So so good.

nice call man, just found this

http://consequenceofsound.net/2014/04/watch-nas-q-tip-and-the-roots-perform-on-fallon/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭weemcd

Nas was great on Fallon.

here's one from a while back

• Advertisement

How many album covers can you find.

What a video! Class!

New rogglecast is up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Didn't know where else to put this, but it might interest some people to know that DJ Rashad died yesterday from a suspected drug overdose. Pioneer of the footwork sound in Chicago. Not exactly hip-hop, but a legend nonetheless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Apple seem to be close to buying Beats so looks like Dre will be the first Hip-Hop billionaire. I'd say Puff is crying into his Ciroc right now :P.
    Apple will reportedly buy Beats for a whopping $3.2 BILLION -- and since Dre and Interscope honcho Jimmy lovine created the brand ... it's a safe bet they will walk away with a huge chunk of that cash.

http://www.tmz.com/2014/05/08/dr-dre-beats-audio-selling-to-apple/

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    Apple seem to be close to buying Beats so looks like Dre will be the first Hip-Hop billionaire. I'd say Puff is crying into his Ciroc right now :P.

http://www.tmz.com/2014/05/08/dr-dre-beats-audio-selling-to-apple/

$3.2 billion sounds like a lot but it will be 700 odd million after tax, chump change :P

Jimmy Iovine is the real winner, he's got himself a spot with Apple as a special adviser along with his cut of the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Major deal probaly the biggest since 50s vitamin water went for about a billion a few years back but this sale to apple has blown diddy,jay and 50 all out of the water.

Hopefully now he'll concentrate on the music because let's face it beats is the only reason why he's stayed relevant the last 6 or 7 years, everything musically has been sub par to say the least.

Also I'd love to see dre take a step back from jimmy iovine too, the two seem to be everywhere together the last few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

99 problems and a bitch aint one ? you sure about that jay..

• Advertisement

He's getting soft in his old age, back in the day he would have played it off like this...

jay-z-pushes_south_african_girl.gif

Wouldn't be surprised at all if Jay-Z fcuked up in some way. The two ladies left in a different vehicle to him afterwards, and Beyonce didn't look like she was in any hurry to stop him taking a few smacks.

remember kat stacks ? the hoe who was slapped by fab's brother but at the end of the day understandably jay had to watch how he reacted to it being his wifes sister.

I don't even want to know what's happening in that video or why... ^^

First hit Solange has ever had.

Who cares though really? Hate all that american celebrity paparazzi bullsh*t.

Who cares though really? Hate all that american celebrity paparazzi bullsh*t.

i read something earlier in responce to the "news", something like 'if the people reading and promoting this story put thier efforts into something worthwhile, the world would be a better place.'
    Spot on.

Clipse fans will enjoy this CNN mini-documentary about them that aired last night, really good piece:

That Clipse doc is great, never thought I'd see a day where CNN would be making a show about them though :pac:

This is bit random but I'm cracking up at Jadakiss' laugh at the 14 second mark:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

Ugly Duckling sell out!

*cries and throws away all their cds*

Great news for the lads!

50 Cent, his baseball career over before it started.

I've been watching some of the footage from Soundset, this is great.
    Check out Sway when Carnaige steps up, check out Sway during, and check out Sway after.
    Who's this chump->he's kinda decent->holy f*ck he's dope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

The best one of those moments in hip hop for me is Dj Noise in the 1994 NMS battle, unknown white kid from Denmark goes to New York to take on the best. He told the story of being "told to go home white boy" etc before being boo'd in the early rounds. He finished up with Red alert and Kid Capri eating out of his hand, stuff of legends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

Sounds like Brother Ali going at Macklemore here?

Boom_Bap wrote: »

Nice! Thats my favorite solo Wu album.

Nice! Thats my favorite solo Wu album.
    Yeah, I think it's my favorite as well. Alot of people dont have Ol Dirty's first album in their favorite list, it's defo top 3 for me along with Tical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Yeah, I think it's my favorite as well. Alot of people dont have Ol Dirty's first album in their favorite list, it's defo top 3 for me along with Tical.

I remember being so disappointed with Tical i must give it a listen from start to finish sometime soon. It would be Liquid swords, Only built for Cuban links and Return of the 36 chambers for me, looking back it's crazy to think this core of dudes made those 3 albums and Enter the 36 chambers in the space of a 'hip hop wet week' they could have stepped down as kings.

• Advertisement

Tical is excellent, alot darker than 36 Chambers album which I loved at the time.
    I was on a big Def Squad/Redman binge around that time, and it was like the Wu and the darker Redman/Das Efx music being meshed together.
    Tical still stands strong today, gave it a spin recently and rapped along from start to finish.

As far as Cuban Links goes, i really cant decide of I like that or Ironman more. The 2 of them juggle for 4th and 5th place.

And I'm going to be a weirdo and say that Supreme Clientèle isn't a favourite of mine.

Anyhow, Wu-Tang Forever and all that :)

Advertisement