Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Everything Else Hip Hop

Comments

• Cheers Boom_Bap

Will look to pick up Poverty's Paradise on Friday

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Cheers Boom_Bap

Will look to pick it up Poverty's Paradise on Friday
    It's on youtube if you want to take a listen before shelling out.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

Also, can you recommend anything similar to NBN? With similar production etc..

To add to boombap's recommendations , i go for the area as well if looking for a bit of a similar sound, more Jersey artists:

Lords of the Underground - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFbLRZCExBk
    Artifacts - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM92f-BUoow
    Redmans old stuff - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBNh2PPqlJs
    Jamal - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_xQ5vEcNT4

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Jaysus yeah, so much other stuff comes to mind now...... Def Squad, Das EFX, Milkbone....

• Boom_Bap wrote: »
    It's on youtube if you want to take a listen before shelling out.

Only needed to listen to it for 20 minutes, buying it this evening :pac:

• Advertisement

• To add to boombap's recommendations , i go for the area as well if looking for a bit of a similar sound, more Jersey artists:

Lords of the Underground - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFbLRZCExBk
    Artifacts - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM92f-BUoow
    Redmans old stuff - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBNh2PPqlJs
    Jamal - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_xQ5vEcNT4

What albums that from?

Great Track

Edit* NM found it

Just reading up, his first 3 albums supposed to be beast

Yep, Whut? Thee Album, Dare Iz a Darkside and Muddy Waters are certified classics.
    Doc's The Name I think was his 4th one, it has some good songs on it, but not as magical as the others.

If you like them Redman albums check out Keith Murray's album "The Most Beautifullest Thing in This World", Erick Sermon on the boards for this one as well.

This tune is also worth a mention, think its a b-side to Throw your set in the air by Cypress hill, think its an erick sermon production as well, could be wrong, its a hit all the same.

Edit: was wrong, was produced by Dj Muggs

Edit: was wrong, was produced by Dj Muggs

Me and the lads were talking about Muggs over Christmas and got to wondering why he is never on any top 5 producers lists.
    The dude released track after track of classics for 10 - 15 years and hardly a bad beat at all.

Just came across this, great idea, essentially a playlist of deadly rap songs and videos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭weemcd

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Me and the lads were talking about Muggs over Christmas and got to wondering why he is never on any top 5 producers lists.
    The dude released track after track of classics for 10 - 15 years and hardly a bad beat at all.

Any tracks, albums in particular?

I loved Grandmasters with GZA, beats are hard on that one

Boom_Bap wrote: »

I agree 100%, definitely underrated!
    weemcd wrote: »
    Any tracks, albums in particular?

I loved Grandmasters with GZA, beats are hard on that one

My favorite cypress hill album is probably temples of boom, the production on that is sick. I love the stuff he done with funkdoobiest, their first two albums are worth checking out.

Particularly his Cypress Hill, Funkdoobiest, House of Pain albums.
    His first Soul Assasins album was excellent as well. He's also done a bunch of tracls with MC Eiht and Ice Cube....actually, just check this out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DJ_Muggs_production_discography

I don't even think that is complete.

• Defiantly agree that Poverty's Paradise being a little bit more commercial but that doesn't bother me
    Production here again is top notch yet again and I would argue (controversial opinion maybe) it's a slightly better album than Nighteen Naughty III

It's so easy to just play-through in one sitting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Watching 'Staright Outta Compton' for the first time. Gone are the days when I could devote two and a half hours to it. I'm watching it in hour long sittings now.

Enjoying it so far.

My knowledge of NWA's early years is shady enough. How accurate is it?

Just at the bit where Snoop is first introduced to Suge.

Watching 'Staright Outta Compton' for the first time. Gone are the days when I could devote two and a half hours to it. I'm watching it in hour long sittings now.

Enjoying it so far.

I'd say it's not completely accurate, it cuts out other members of NWA and rushes introductions of some people. Even how Snoop gets introduced is a bit conveinient. And DOC just appears as a hang-around.

But don't focus too much on that stuff, it's still a really good flick, some of it would have had to be hollywoodised to get it to a decent length.

• Watching 'Staright Outta Compton' for the first time. Gone are the days when I could devote two and a half hours to it. I'm watching it in hour long sittings now.

Enjoying it so far.

I have a post in the movie thread about it. I really enjoyed it but yea there are some questions around how accurate it is. Some stuff that I felt should have been included were left out also.

Anyone check out The DOC interviews on VladTV? absolute gold, well worth the watch, also in the wake of the NWA film lots of interviews from Ruthless/Death Row affiliates, some quality stuff on there.

Just finished it. Took me four sittings.

Will wait a while and watch it the whole way through. Very entertaining. The music is great. Okay? Okay.

Just finished it. Took me four sittings.

Will wait a while and watch it the whole way through. Very entertaining. The music is great. Okay? Okay.

• Advertisement

Something out of left field that grabbed my attention.

Toyota artsy video, with Jay Electronica (who I'm not sold on yet) not rapping and a beat by Alexander Spit.

Naughty also released a new track the other day with Queen Latifah

I didn't like it at first, but now I'm loving it, really loving it.

• Yea i got that email about it the other day due to the fact i signed up for the free download at xmas. Is that track brand new? New album coming?

Can't listen to it at the moment will get to listening to it tomorrow.

I believe it's from a new album. The last one was pants although that was released during a time when the 3 lads had serious beef with each other.
    So don't get too excited about a new album although the new jam is pretty good (after a few listens :) )

• Got both Whut? Thee Album & Muddy Waters. Really enjoyed them both although his debut IMO is the best.
    So many class tracks. These are my favs;

Cypres Hill Sample is so well done in this one!

Next on the hit-list is to do some digging on DJ Muggs. Surprising over the last few months I thought I new my Hip-Hop but I'm way off the mark...so much quality I have missed out on.

Dare Iz a Darkside is a bit different from Redman, highly reccomend it.
    I also love this jam off Muddy

Along with exploring Muggs, keep Das EFX in mind. Straight Up Sewaside and Hold It Down are 2 absolute gems.

• Been looking there, It's really hard to know where to start with DJ Muggs considering there's so much.....

His top 3??

Might go with Das EFX either Straight Up Sewaside or Hold It Down for the weekend.

For Muggs, his Soul Assasins Vol1 is great. He takes a bunch of rappers and tailors his beats to thier sound. Prior to that it's all his beats with either Funkdoobiest or Cypress Hill.

I have purchased Straight Up Sewaside 3 times so far I think.
    1st - Tape - wore out from repeated listens
    2nd - Tape - Still have
    3rd - CD copy

For Muggs, his Soul Assasins Vol1 is great. He takes a bunch of rappers and tailors his beats to thier sound. Prior to that it's all his beats with either Funkdoobiest or Cypress Hill.

I have purchased Straight Up Sewaside 3 times so far I think.
    1st - Tape - wore out from repeated listens
    2nd - Tape - Still have
    3rd - CD copy

Seems to be a rare find. Any other source on digital DL?

Only thing I can find is this.

https://ie.7digital.com/artist/das-efx/release/the-very-best-of-das-efx/

*Edit* NM Found it

Been looking there, It's really hard to know where to start with DJ Muggs considering there's so much.....

His top 3??

Might go with Das EFX either Straight Up Sewaside or Hold It Down for the weekend.

You cant go wrong with cypress hills first 3 albums if you're looking for some Muggs.

• Advertisement

• You cant go wrong with cypress hills first 3 albums if you're looking for some Muggs.

Have some of them already. I actually like Black Sunday but listening to Cypres Hill grates on me after a short period. Production is great but there is something about B-Reals rapping tone that get's a bit annoying after a while but again that's just me personally.

I think everyone has a tolerence level for B-Real :pac:
    That nasal rapping can get to you after a few songs.

• Got a mail about the NBN kickstarter.

Sound to me like there having financial issues?

Loads of groups/rappers chance their arms with kickstarters now to fund the studio time for albums.
    It wouldn't suprise me with NBN as they were never massive sellers and there are 3 people in the group to pay.

• Hmmm.... I feel empty....

You could watch this short documentry on Mac Miller

• Advertisement

You could watch this short documentry on Mac Miller

That was quite enjoyable actually :P
    Although I think I'm feeling empty because I need a new hook up. Some old school stuff of course....

That was quite enjoyable actually :P
    Although I think I'm feeling empty because I need a new hook up. Some old school stuff of course....
    How about an excellent album from the West Coast from The B.U.M.s>

• Boom_Bap...the gift that keeps on giving

I guess I better keep giving :)

Here's a Big Daddy Kane that nobody talks about. Everybody shoud as it's pretty flawless.

Have you heard this as well

• Had a very brief listen (20 mins maybe) of The B.U.M.s and I'm liking what I hear so far.
    Can't make a full assessment as of yet.
    Will give all above a few play-throughs on Friday / Saturday and come back with some thoughts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

Dj Muggs' album with GZA of the Wu is fantastic...highly recommended.

• The B.U.M.s album...Very smooth beats. Really enjoyed it.
    Is it just me or in the last track I swore I was listening to Kendrick Lamar??!

• M!Ck^ wrote: »
    The B.U.M.s album...Very smooth beats. Really enjoyed it.
    Is it just me or in the last track I swore I was listening to Kendrick Lamar??!

I should elaborate, What I mean is it sounds like a track which may have influenced kdot

• Loving this version!

I only found out today that DeLaSoul and 2Pac had beef.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

Crazy story from Bushwick Bill about how he lost his eye

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭LightsStillOn

This new Action Bronson show might be the best thing ever. Smoking a whole ton of weed and watching Ancient Aliens. First two episodes are on YouTube.

Everyone is moaning that the EP lineup is poor this year. Thankfully my girlfriend is now forced to go outside the main acts and find other acts she's interested in, namely Joey Bada$$ and Nas. She downloaded 'Illmatic' and 'Summer Knights' on Spotify. I'm going to have '1999' on play every day in the car and we're going to watch 'Time is Illmatic' on Netflix soon.

She has never shown any interest in rap. None. Thank you EP :pac:

I'm lucky, the missus and kids like Tribe, Ugly Duckling and Beastie Boys.

• Advertisement
Advertisement