Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Everything Else Hip Hop

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Sage Francis for example has no certification. It is a poor reflection of sales really as it is US only plus I doubt it takes current legal downloads of older hip-hop albums into account.

Yeah legal downloads aren't counted towards the certifications at all - Lil Wayne for example, Carter 4 sold close to a million copies and was probably a few hundred thousand times from on iTunes but only the physical copies will count towards the first week sales/RIAA certs/etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

@ prettyboy

Did not know that at all mate , learn something new everyday. I taught an artist was actually entitled to it in which they should be IMO.

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Sage Francis for example has no certification. It is a poor reflection of sales really as it is US only plus I doubt it takes current legal downloads of older hip-hop albums into account.

Yeah legal downloads aren't counted towards the certifications at all - Lil Wayne for example, Carter 4 sold close to a million copies and was probably a few hundred thousand times from on iTunes but only the physical copies will count towards the first week sales/RIAA certs/etc

So CDs only count for 1st week sales When the figures come out?

iTunes is not taking into account at all when releasing an artists 1st week numbers?

So CDs only count for 1st week sales When the figures come out?

iTunes is not taking into account at all when releasing an artists 1st week numbers?

That's the way it works as far as I know, I can't understand why they work this way but I'm sure they have their reasons. I think it might be because you can buy each song individually so a lot of people might buy 2-3 songs from the album and leave it at that, they wouldn't be able to be counted as a full/half/quarter of an album, etc.

When Jay-Z released his American Gangster album he decided not to make it available on iTunes because he wanted it to be sold as one full album, not as individual tracks.
    Jay-Z is retired. Yet, his new album "American Gangster," is trying bigger than ever. But, it will never find its way onto iTunes, namely because Jay Hova doesn’t want the record parted out track-by-track. “Let me make it clear – I don’t have a problem with iTunes. It’s just our interests were not in line,” he said. “No one can dictate to an artist, any artist, how they should express themselves.” Not to argue with someone who’s found so much success, but wouldn’t an "Album Only" option on iTunes solve the problem? Surely, someone of Jay-Z’s status could command a slightly different execution of essentially the same plan. Oh, we get it! ITunes sales don’t count as SoundScan, so the unretired "Roc Boy" wants to get as many scanned numbers as possible. Sneaky, sneaky!
    http://www.bgr.com/2007/11/12/jay-z-like-radiohead-and-acdc-shuns-itunes/

Just read Carter 4 broke the first week sales record on iTunes with 345,000 digital copies sold in addition to the 964,000 physical copies.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

i remember when All Eyez on Me was released that each sale counted as 2 as it was a double album. But i think that rule has been revised, i dont think it counted for Biggies Life After Death.

In relation to album sales, J-Zones last album is excellent, but it only sold something like 43 copies in the first month....and I am one of 3 people i know that bought it!

• Advertisement

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    That's the way it works as far as I know, I can't understand why they work this way but I'm sure they have their reasons. I think it might be because you can buy each song individually so a lot of people might buy 2-3 songs from the album and leave it at that, they wouldn't be able to be counted as a full/half/quarter of an album, etc.

When Jay-Z released his American Gangster album he decided not to make it available on iTunes because he wanted it to be sold as one full album, not as individual tracks.

http://www.bgr.com/2007/11/12/jay-z-like-radiohead-and-acdc-shuns-itunes/

Just read Carter 4 broke the first week sales record on iTunes with 345,000 digital copies sold in addition to the 964,000 physical copies.

Ye seems like your right. Looked into it a small bit there and it seems like the other crowd Nielsen SoundScan take both digital and actual cd's etc into account to release the official figures of an album and its first week sales and billboard just release the chart position and physical copies sold.

so there could well be 100's of albums out there that have passed the 10 million diamond mark with digital and cds combined like 2pacs all eyez on me, but it appears an album has to sell 10 million cd's to be awarded the diamond status by billboard.

but with the way cds are going, i wouldnt say it will be long til something changes as in regards to billboard as its all really turning digital the last 2 or 3 years.

Some rappers are releasing exclusive digital content like kendrick lamar with section 80 etc so its looking like cd's are a dying thing but most of us know that anyway.

still would pick a cd over a digital copy anyday though when given a choice.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Damn Ras Kass left the HRSMN, no chance of a new album.

Several more of 2pacs albums have probably went passed 10 million, even in the US I would imagine if all things were taken into account.

funny enough, big pun dont take no sh*t:)

Funny and a cool back story.

Also that is the first time I have seen Whoo Kidd and I thought he stopped doing stuff years ago.

Funny and a cool back story.

Also that is the first time I have seen Whoo Kidd and I thought he stopped doing stuff years ago.

he constantly does mixtapes for just about everyone man. Still dj's for g unit too aswell as his own gigs, think he's been to ireland a few times on his own to dj.

ye he has a few good tales to tell the last few weeks for his interviews, there was one he told 2weeks ago of how suge knight tried to get him while he was in LA doing a gig... follow the link for thisis50 interviews on that video and its there somewhere on their youtube channel.

check this one out though, whoo kid was in the studio with kanye and ludacris before his fatal crash too, its funny. did Whoo kid piss of kanye before the crash? :D

• Advertisement

Maybe it is just me but I don't like mixtape or personality DJs like him - unless he does actual music like Shadow or QBert etc?

Biggest black dj ever? Like bigger than JMJ, pffff.

Hahaha "luda is in there like "ugh da do di da di" "

Biggest black DJ ever? Really?

Jazzy Jeff? Jam Master Jay? Premier?

That interviewer does my head in, prat.

Lol lads the interviewer is a piss taker mostly, he openly mocks anyone he interviews.

I doubt he really meant that in fairness, taught that was quite obvious to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Boom_Bap wrote: »

Don't look now but I beat you to it by 1 whole minute.

Great news to hear that he's back. Hopefully he puts out some proper music soon. It's been a long time.

Don't look now but I beat you to it by 1 whole minute.

Great news to hear that he's back. Hopefully he puts out some proper music soon. It's been a long time.

So close!

It's odd that there are no announcments from Odd Future about this. Has he severed ties with them now?

So close!

It's odd that there are no announcments from Odd Future about this. Has he severed ties with them now?

Don't think so. Tyler put a link up last night to Earl's twitter account. It seems to have only been created last night as well.

Anyway an official OF announcement would be pretty hard to decipher. Posting it here would result in a lot of censors I reckon ha.

Hopefully he'll be on the tour with them when they come to Ireland. Him and Frank Ocean.

So close!

Hopefully. He is appaerently good whereas OF are the worst thing I have heard since big sean.

Hopefully. He is appaerently good whereas OF are the worst thing I have heard since big sean.

Can't say I'd agree with that. Big Sean is so bad that no one can be compared to him.

Who out of the group are you basing your opinion on? Frank Ocean is quality.

Tyler is good but I could understand if you don't like him. Mellowhype (aka Left Brain and Hodgy Beats) are pretty good.

• Advertisement

Can't say I'd agree with that. Big Sean is so bad that no one can be compared to him.

Who out of the group are you basing your opinion on? Frank Ocean is quality.

Tyler is good but I could understand if you don't like him. Mellowhype (aka Left Brain and Hodgy Beats) are pretty good.

Frank Ocean from what little I heard is different, he does not rap at all?

I am basing it on all rapping, interviews and stories I have heard of and from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

I thought drake and common was a ridiculous match up but if this were to happen....
    Lil Wayne continues doling out not-so-subtle shots at Jay-Z and Kanye West's group, The Throne.

It seems as though Lil Wayne still hasn't move on from Jay-Z's "Baby money" line from the Watch the Throne song "H.A.M. ," as he is still firing shots at Jay-Z and Kanye West.

At the Cash Money Pre-Grammy party, Lil Wayne tossed a few bars out for the crowd: "I met a bad red bone, I took the bitch home / I asked her what she want to watch, she said surely not The Throne."

Lil Wayne and Jay-Z have been sending thinly-veiled shots back and forth for years, but when Jay-Z's line on "H.A.M." suggested that Baby - Bryan "Birdman" Williams - exaggerated his wealth, Lil Wayne took particular umbrage to the line.

Even though Wayne previously responded on "It's Good ," Jay has yet to return fire, simply acknowledging that beef is part of the sport of Hip Hop.

Big mistake to take shots at both jay and kanye, if they do retaliate, Lil wayne will be destroyed.

Without a doubt he would, even though I don't think jay z is much of a good rapper the last few years he still IMO would wipe the floor with Wayne who I just don't rate as a rapper at all.

But jigga has backed down from just about everyone the last few years and well Wayne has he ever been in a battle/beef?

Hip hop needs battling again between rappers, it's been missing big time the last few years.

Like krs said jay z thinks he's above it only dropping subliminals when it suits him so nothing will come of it IMO.

Without a doubt he would, even though I don't think jay z is much of a good rapper the last few years he still IMO would wipe the floor with Wayne who I just don't rate as a rapper at all.

But jigga has backed down from just about everyone the last few years and well Wayne has he ever been in a battle/beef?

Hip hop needs battling again between rappers, it's been missing big time the last few years.

Like krs said jay z thinks he's above it only dropping subliminals when it suits him so nothing will come of it IMO.

It has been missing in songs for years yes, but the actual battling scene has been going really strong the past few years.

Last kotd event had Raekwon in the crowd and the one before that had Drake.

Last good battle songs were probably Game vs 50/g-unit?

I'm surprised anyone was able to make out that that was what Wayne had rapped at the party. When I listen to him all I hear is "ivhflsdbvvbhjslb dfvlisvlhbvhb ilvsnvbls vlishihbvflshuvb ldivshlvbh". He makes zero sense. It's very silly of him to get involved like this.

If Jay put his mind to it he'd probably pick him apart. Not too sure about Kanye, but he has Common to help him out, while Weezy only has Drake :P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

Judging by commons response to drake if I was kanye I'd go else where for a few lines if I needed them.

Although based on history jay and kanye avoid the likes of this.

What has kanye done btw, is it just his association with jay that has Wayne irked.

Maybe Wayne is throwing shot knowing both won't respond.

Hugh Cream wrote: »
    Judging by commons response to drake if I was kanye I'd go else where for a few lines if I needed them.

Although based on history jay and kanye avoid the likes of this.

What has kanye done btw, is it just his association with jay that has Wayne irked.

Maybe Wayne is throwing shot knowing both won't respond.

I'd say it is an association thing tbh, and I think it would be a good thing for them to respond, thats 3 of the biggest mainstream rappers right there and some top notch disses could stem from that.

It has been missing in songs for years yes, but the actual battling scene has been going really strong the past few years.

Last kotd event had Raekwon in the crowd and the one before that had Drake.

Last good battle songs were probably Game vs 50/g-unit?

iv never payed any attention to kotd, im only interested in rappers beefs who are established in hip hop but ye its been missing but imo thats down to the likes of drake,kanye etc who come out and say there not going to battle etc which is wrong because battling is an element of hip hop being wiped out by these pop star wannabes.

the last decent beef was ross v 50 in 09, it was entertaining and done wonders for ross's career despite the fact it was revealed he was fraud who lied about his whole life a typical example of todays industry made fictional rappers.

on another topic, how can this niki one actually be considered a rapper? as much as id like to bang her id also to give her a slap over the head with a shovel what an annoying bit*h.

actually do them selves no favors with this Illuminati stuff that follows them, i think she took it a bit far with the whole religious piss take tbh but thats just my personal opinion.

grammys performance, she is a lady gaga wannabe imo not a rapper.

better quality and story... http://www.thisis50.com/profiles/blogs/nicki-minaj-catching-heat-for-performing-exorcism-during-grammy

I would recommend checking out KOTD (the other leagues are very hit or miss)

Raekwon and Drake loved the battles they were at, especially Raekwon most of the lines were amazing.

I missed the 50 v Ross thing, was not paying attention to him or drake/wayne at the time nor now either actually.

• Advertisement

I would recommend checking out KOTD (the other leagues are very hit or miss)

Raekwon and Drake loved the battles they were at, especially Raekwon most of the lines were amazing.

I missed the 50 v Ross thing, was not paying attention to him or drake/wayne at the time nor now either actually.

i must give it a watch so, is it on youtube?

the 50 v ross was good, the most enternaing and funniest beef iv ever seen, just look up pimpin curly lol.

came across, love these kind of covers.

Drake getting schooled on real lyrics in the background reacting to pretty much every Dizaster bar.

The energy, very few rappers could rap acapella for 4 minute rounds and have the amount of quality lines this battle has.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

This is fantastic. A student battles his teacher!

"you only talk gas mark on various degrees"

I love that battle, plenty more great ones out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭HATCHET IRL

I read somewhere that jay-z and questlove are workin on a project together

I read somewhere that jay-z and questlove are workin on a project together

Yea Questlove was interviewed last week it seems and he said that they are working on a 'secret' project.

But he came on on Twitter then an hour ago and refuted the claims. Apparently he was talking about a benefit concerts that Jay-Z performed at Carnegie Hall.

1slbD.png

Bit of a let down.

• Advertisement

Video of J57 from Brown Bag All Stars (BBAS) making a beat. Makes it look so easy.

some man , has busta down to a T:D

His Drake impression is priceless.

"Awwwh that was actually very good".

His Drake impression is priceless.

"Awwwh that was actually very good".
    ye he really has drake in his pocket.:D

you should subscribe to his youtube channel

hustles with russells is class.

Possibly the best rapper/producer ever.

• Advertisement

Video of J57 from Brown Bag All Stars (BBAS) making a beat. Makes it look so easy.

is the full version of that beat available to listen to?

class beat, exactly my type.

I think that it's on the BBAS free EP that was released recently. Gonna listen to it later, but you can get it from here ---> http://www.sharebeast.com/g7nj32hzi0kn

il give that a listen boom bap, cheers.

this man here has got talent, rivals affion as far as impersonations!.

class

il give that a listen boom bap, cheers.

this man here has got talent, rivals affion as far as impersonations!.

class

I think he's better than Affion. That video doesn't do him justice imo. This is one he did 4 years ago. His Jigga impression is magical. It's one of the best impressions I've ever heard.

The lines he has for the Snoop one are unreal as well, "we just sit back debate it while getting our hair braided". That verse is better than a lot of the stuff Snoop has put out himself in recent years.

that guy is a very good impressionist, avion is not an impressionist though, not really, hes more of a comedian.

Ye, I think Aries is a better rapper impersonator but Affion is funnier and has a wider range of impersonations.

must actually try and get my hands on avions sketch show, only lasted a few episodes in the states, hes quite good though so should be watchable.

That's my first time hearing of Aries, he is clearly talented.

I think affroin has the whole visual element to his act with videos etc but like said he's more of an out and out comedian.

His sketch show was good, what I saw of it anyway. He also has a good app on iTunes for anyone with a iPhone etc.

That's my first time hearing of Aries, he is clearly talented.

I think affroin has the whole visual element to his act with videos etc but like said he's more of an out and out comedian.

His sketch show was good, what I saw of it anyway. He also has a good app on iTunes for anyone with a iPhone etc.

i put up one of aries videos before, certainly a talented lad, and he can freestyle better than lil wayne and drake put together.

Yea I remember seeing that video years ago. Back in the heyday of Bebo. And back when that video would take 3 hours to load. I could get all my homework done just waiting for it to load :P.

I must look around and see does he have any more stuff. He has them 4 nailed down to a t.

• Advertisement
Advertisement