Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats the best farming system?

• 24-12-2011 9:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭

Just having suckler cows and sell all weanlings in Autumn

Having Cows but keep the bullocks and heifers and slaughter them your self at (2+ 1/2 to 3 year olds)

Buying in store bullocks and slaughter them your self

Buying in store heifers and selling them in calf / slaughter them

Sheep (Sell your lambs / slaughter them)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Mr.Success wrote: »
    Just having suckler cows and sell all weanlings in Autumn

Having Cows but keep the bullocks and heifers and slaughter them your self at (2+ 1/2 to 3 year olds)

Buying in store bullocks and slaughter them your self

Buying in store heifers and selling them in calf / slaughter them

Sheep (Sell your lambs / slaughter them)

Ahh..
    I don't think there is a "best farming system"
    A person needs to look at their farm, land quality, sheds, machinery, cash flow, time available and even their husbandry ability before deciding what is the best system suited to them at the moment..
    Then there your personal interest too... doing something your interested in will be much easier on those cold dark wet evenings/mornings..

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Timmyboy

I'm in a similar situation.

The farm is about 45 acres. Of that 6 acres is in a glen with trees and very wet - effectively unusable.
    About 20 acres or so is very bogg ground. I am hopeful that with the main drain clearance carried out this autumn that progress can be made on recovering some of these acres.
    There's about 15 or so acres of good enough drier fields.
    Even going good with draining in the coming late spring summer and trying to do a clear up of timber and bull dozing in of drain clearances I'll be good to have about 25 acres of proper land.

The choice for me at the moment appears to be best to go with sucklers.

I'd think about milking but with the acreage I just could not afford the extra timer required.

Sucklers. Mad bloody animals it is I thinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

When you find out the best system be sure to tell us all that we may give it a go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Bizzum wrote: »
    When you find out the best system be sure to tell us all that we may give it a go!
    Does best= most profitable? Or just a system to suit your lifestyle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Does best= most profitable? Or just a system to suit your lifestyle?

But that is exactly my point. Best could indeed be profit driven for me or for you. But there is no universal best system. As pointed out by a previous poster there are far too many variables.
    None the less, best practice exists in many industries.
    On the point of a system suiting one's lifestyle. Said system should aim to produce a profit. Losing your shirt aint much of a living. So I suppose, it's a compromise between being as efficient as you can, thus more profitable, and suiting your lifestyle taking the many variables into account.

• Advertisement
Advertisement