Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republican/Loyalist Areas in the North

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

The drug dealer gets a warning, and if they persist they get shot through the knees. If they persist after that then they get 24 hours to leave.

Gonna be a challenge on the 24 hours to leave after being kneecapped. :D
    KeithAFC wrote: »
    Nonsense. The IRA sold drugs to buy weapons.

No, that's the CIA you're thinking of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Who has told you that the IRA didn't do drug dealing? It just isn't true. I really hope people don't believe that.

As an organisation they were probably smart enough not to involve themselves directly in the drugs trade. But by "taxing" those who were they were able to profit from the business without been seen to get their hands dirty (effectively dealing by proxy) And they ensured they were always in a position to plausably disown any low ranking individual members who were found directly involved or failing that concoct some cock and bull story about birdwatching in the jungle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

People,in the Ardoyne don't have insurance.
    They are Republicans.
    When they have a problem it is sorted out within the community by ex-provos.
    That's the way it was in the Troubles, that's the way it is now.
    A good friend of mine lives in the Ardoyne, and what I have said is based on fact.

This is roaring horsesh!t.
    I lived in Ardoyne most of my life and am back all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

The IRA have never dealt drugs.
    Any ex-provos that strayed into that were shot.
    The ex-provos have shot drug dealers.
    They have taxed drug dealers on their earnings, and rented them a pitch offering protection from rival drug dealers.
    Protection is racketeering. It is not drug dealing.
    Robbing a drug dealers drugs and selling them back to him isn't the same thing.
    The UVF are more involved in drug dealing than the IRA ever were.

This is also largely horsesh!t, as anyone who knows the identity of Ardoyne's biggest cocaine dealer is entirely aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭flemishgael

The IRA never dealt in drugs, some members and ASU's did though.
    The IRA's structure made it hard to know exactly what each member was doing.
    Groups like RAAD and DAAD are now trying to make that republican areas stay drug free but I know very well that drugs are freely available anywhere in the north now and prices have dropped considerably and it's easy to get any type of drugs anywhere in the north now.
    The para's on both sides kept a lid on it, preventing it from spiralling out of control like it does at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

And they renamed manhole covers to personhole covers and changed Baa Baa Black Sheep to Baa Baa White Sheep. Not a true story no more than yours.

Back on topic Markethill is only 15 miles from Crossmaglen but they are very different. Willie Frazer is from around Markethill.

http://www.youtube.com/results?q=willie+frazer&hl=en&num=10&lr=&ft=i&cr=&safe=images&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=w1&gl=IE

Willie Frazer is actually from Whitecross and I think he lives in Newtownhamilton now (although he professes to 'work' in Markethill), Newtown is very Loyalist and is only 8 miles from Cross.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Doing a course in Belfast, just off Great Victoria St.
    Near The Beaten Docket, they do great bar food, little tip.

Struggling for parking so parked my TN reg on Sandy Row
    Forgot to lock the doors :rolleyes:

Came back in the evening, not even touched

What a neighbourhood :)
    Maybe they do crack down on crime there for thieves and joyriders. Or maybe I was just ridiculously lucky

This was about eight years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Doing a course in Belfast, just off Great Victoria St.
    Near The Beaten Docket, they do great bar food, little tip.

Struggling for parking so parked my TN reg on Sandy Row
    Forgot to lock the doors :rolleyes:

Came back in the evening, not even touched

What a neighbourhood :)
    Maybe they do crack down on crime there for thieves and joyriders. Or maybe I was just ridiculously lucky

This was about eight years ago

Simple reason.

a southern plated car with the door's left unlocked parked anywhere near the city could be an abandoned car bomb, no one in their right mind (even Sandyrow knuckle dragger's) would be stupid enough to touch it. You are lucky ATO's didnt send in the wheelbarrow and did a controlled explosion on it.

If you had been sitting in it at the time it might have been a different story.

Advertisement