Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiler used adhesive as grout

• 24-12-2011 10:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭

'Tiler' just finished a spot of tiling in my kitchen. Turns out the chap used tile adhesive instead of grout. The tiles are 'mosaic'-type things. I only noticed that he'd done this as the 'grouting' was not very well done - lots of gaps etc. I went to finish the job myself when I noticed that he'd used 'Unibond' adhesive. There's an ad on the lid reminding you to buy grout and I guess yer man's English not being great, he just saw the word grout on the lid and bought it...

Well, do I have to scrape all the adhesive out from between the mosaics or can I just grout over the whole mess?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,627 ✭✭✭TheBody

Can you not get him back to fix the job? I presume you paid for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

I'd rather not - it's not the best idea for reasons I won't go into.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Adhesieve as grout (oh sweet lord jesus)

Which begs the question.........

Tiler??? NO

Cowboy??? YES.....:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

First question should always be "can i see some of your previous work?".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

Yeah, cowboy, pretty much sums him up.

So, any ideas - should I just scrape all the adhesive out from between the mosaics before I grout or should Just grout away regardless?

I should be wrapping presents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

First question should always be "can i see some of your previous work?".

As most tradesmen would be doing work on other people's houses, how does that work?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

cnocbui wrote: »
    As most tradesmen would be doing work on other people's houses, how does that work?

Any job I price the householder would occasionally ask to see work you have done before. I would always ask the person from the previous job if it would be okay to give there phone number, if you have done a good job then the person never has a problem. The phone call usually suffices!

If a "tradesman" can't show you any previous work than stay the hell clear. Plenty of talented people out there now, no need to be entertaining these cowboys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,227 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

born2bwild wrote: »
    Yeah, cowboy, pretty much sums him up.

So, any ideas - should I just scrape all the adhesive out from between the mosaics before I grout or should Just grout away regardless?

I should be wrapping presents.

You need to get the adhesive out before you grout yes, it will also show through the grout if there is not enough of a coverage of grout, and looks terrible when this happens.

It is messy and difficult doing those mosaic type tiles, especially the smaller they are, and anybody with lazy intentions in my opinion would try and get away with what has been done with yours.

A stanley knife is your best bet, but be very careful as any slip will not only endanger you, but you can scratch the tiles too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

paddy147 wrote: »
    Adhesieve as grout (oh sweet lord jesus)

Which begs the question.........

Tiler??? NO

Cowboy??? YES.....:rolleyes:

This sums it up. You will not scrape it out.

You might have to redo the job. Sorry.

Advertisement