Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My opinion on everything

Options
  • 25-12-2011 2:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭

Basically Wallstreet is a damning inditement of the human race. Ditto for Conan the Barbarian. The universe is not for the timid in the immortal words of Q from Star Trek TNG and now I put it to other members of humanity. Essentially Queen Elizabeth, Winston Churchill, Ronald Reagan, Barack Obama, Mr Cheney, all these figureheads of authority are bits of data in the datastream of a history generated by the perceptual reactions of a species of ape, cousins of bonobos and chimpanzees. All supposedly great figures of history are just people that other people consented to follow. Wallstreet basically showcases the elite to be pitifully insecure, attempting to conceal their personal failings through the accumulation of wealth and hyperbole about the meaning of life. Gordon Gekko quotes the Art of War as if that gives him some handed down authority with which to define the nature of human existence, that its all brutal and dependent on getting one up on the next human being. Its like the religious adherence to game theory among self presumed right wing theorists. Guess what? Humanity is divergent, there is no one theory that explains human behaviour. Stop trying to explain everything through labels! But it doesn't stop anyone from trying. How many times have human failings been pointed out (with respect to authoritarianism, racism, violence, war, group think) only for those same failings to be committed again and again throughout history. Because the people who carry out those actions think "oh yeah maybe them but that's not me" or they excuse themselves by saying something like "I was only following orders, what was I to do." Seriously the human establishment, the social networked up to the hilt cliques predicated on adherence to traditional values which govern human societies leave so much to be desired its really a condemnation of themselves.

But let us not forget the pertinence of the subjective at the local level. All too many times people have used stock phrases like, "its human nature" or "its the real world, suck it up" blah blah blah blah, and its cliched. Well guess what, the subjective is fkcing importent. The objective should be acknowledged, granted, BUT subjective experiences should not be disregarded. If someone steals your bike does the objective response "well its just an action, no good or bad about it" actually explain the situation?! No! Its bad for you. Its bad for them, they've committed a crime they know it at some level. Lets not separate subjective experience from the mechanistic workings of the universe. If the universe=everything it also encompasses subjectivity given that it occurs within existence as a perceptual phenomenon and is quite distinct from objective mechanistic processes. Further example yellow is the subjective percieved product of a chemical assortment of elements, but to deny the existence of yellow, as a platonic result is bullsh1t. Yellow exists! In our minds. To place value on the objective over the subjective is to commit a human failing of prejudice. Science is useful to for analyzing scientific phenomenon, do not try and universalize it to explain the experience of art, life or moments in time. Richard Feynman, a superb scientist states this, science cannot answer questions like what does magnetism feel like. Or something like that, I may have misquouted him, this doesn't invalidate the premise of my argument however. Just in case anyone would take umbrage. My basic argument is that even in society/culture you have universities advertising courses like an MSc in Philosophy or History or EVEN ECONOMICS OR SOCIOLOGY!!!! Which is bollocks because none of those disciplines are sciences but the reason they're advertised as such is because people go"ooh science, it must mean they're objective and worth something." They're fecking techniques not sciences, anyone who says otherwise is wrong!!!!!!! Except with respect perhaps to hard logic in philosophy. These are the best tools we have atm, but attaching cultural value to science is an affront to science, you're politicizing science, this an assualt on what science is, science is a tool for scientic inquiry, the world of ethics, art, ontology and certain aspects of human affair are not within the realm of scientific inquiry. Any attempt to pretend that they are is falling prey to the human predilection to establish status comparisons amongst contrary and alternative discipline out of self interest, ideology or whatever.

My ultimate point is that human societies are full of their own assumptions and preconceptions and most of them are wrong and the devolution of consensus, of agreement, can lead people to arrive at their own conclusions runs contrary to the human need to agree as a form of socialization as a survival mechanism. Moreover, the universe is chaotic, there is no human destiny apart from what we want it to be (in my case, I think humans should master the universe, because nature is antagonistic and wants all living things to be misreable in order to improve---> evolve), hence we must conquer nature!). Nihilism is truth but useless with respect to the subjective experience of reality, The objective amorality of actions doesn't cohere with our experience of life in general, the objective meaninglessness of emotional experiences is irrelevant in relation to our own individual experiences.

Hence we should accept that the universe is antagonistic and not for the timid, but we shouldn't be become slaves to its program of brutality as the animals do, rather as sentient beings we should master the universe (if possible) to create a better existence for ourselves and all living beings as the universe right now does not function to my expectations and needs improvement. Yes we are just apes but lets utlitize what has been gifted to us by chance, our superior mental faculties of reasoning and self reflection. Henceforth films like Wallstreet are an inditement of the attitude of just acting in the way the universe wants us to, like vicious chest beating apes seeking power through the use of analytical thought combined with social falsity and adherence to ridiculous farcical social conventions, as if that was fulfillment, when its just transient and contributes even less than the creations of art and science to the winding narrative of human endeavour, furthermore Conan the Barbarian is a tale of how we should act, given that Conan becomes a hero at the end by liberating the Orphans of Doom from their religious entrapment (up to this point Conan is on the mission of vengeance against Thulsa Doom, hence following the patterned logic of the universe). So basically I urge all humans to bring forth a better world, where everyone, not just the individual, can be happy. Why the fck not?! The alternative is more bollocks, be Lionel Hutz or actually build a better world, fck it! it's your choice!!!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,241 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

MOD COMMENT:
    Please be advised that this OP lacks focus on a particular philosophical topic, introducing "everything" in the opinion of its author, thereby lacking a meaningful structure for discussion. In the future pick a specific topic to focus our discussion.

Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement