Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing phone lines in house

Options
  • 25-12-2011 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi Guys,

My family had the internet with BT Broadband (when it was here) and after it sold to Vodafone the internet in the house been terrible. It is getting to the point that every 10 minutes it drops. My family has switched providers with everyone (Vodafone, Eircom, Irish Broadband). They are based in Celbridge so Chorus or MAgnet are not available to them.

I also did an Line Attenuation test and the figures showed that the capacity has been exceeding 100% (sometimes 190%, where for a stable connection you need 20-30%). We even downgraded to 1MB (which is more expensive) and it was still too much for the line. I asked the engineers at the internet companies and they said that they can test the line up to the entry point of my house and it looks like it hold a 13mb connection without dropping. He said that there might be internal damage done to the line in the house. This could be true as my father did a DIY job (he is NOT an electrician) on the phone lines to add more sockets, also we had SKY put into the house so that guy did a job himself on the wiring so that the sky box had a phone connection.

So what I am asking (eventually) is; do electricians do this type of work? If not, who would do it? And if they do how much should it cost (ballpark)?

Merry Christmas all,
    And thanks for future responses.

Comments

Advertisement