Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registering Kindle - .com or .co.uk?

• 25-12-2011 3:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭

Hi all, just got a Kindle for Christmas, pretty excited about getting it up and running.

I don't have an Amazon account so I'll need to create one. It's my understanding that I can register on either Amazon.com (US) or Amazon.co.uk (UK), and that each has its benefits and drawbacks.

Can anyone tell me what are these benefits and drawbacks? Would I be better off registering on the .com or .co.uk site, or is it all much the same?

Thanks for your advice!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

If Santa bought your Kindle from the US site, or from Tesco, PC World, etc, you'll probably only be able to buy books from the .com site. This is due to rights reasons, though I think some people get around this if they've a family member in the UK or a credit card there.

If you log on to the Kindle store of the UK site you'll likely see this message.

'Kindle titles for your country are not available at Amazon.co.uk.
    Please shop for Kindle titles at Amazon.com.'

Which one did you get, btw? There are loads of threads about them on boards. This might be worth reading. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055984061

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Johann.

The poster above is correct.

Your account will be registered on both .co.uk and .com if you register on either or. Then input your account details into the kindle (e-mail & password) and then you'll soon find out what store you'll be shopping from!

Enjoy it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Oh thanks guys! Yeah, it was bought in Tesco and my brother has registered at the .com site with no hassle so I'll go with that.
    Which one did you get, btw? There are loads of threads about them on boards. This might be worth reading. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2055984061
    My one looks identical to the first one in that thread, so I guess it's that model!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Also, within the menu of the device itself, there's an option to go shopping - it will likely default to the US store, although it's been so long since I registered I can't really remember what's involved - nothing too bothersome.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

sister bought a kindle for the mother for xmas, but she bought it from the uk amazon, had it delivered to the north and then down to her

now mam has registered the kindle to amazon.com, but its not letting her buy anything. tried to deregister it too on the kindle and on the website but it's just saying "unable to deregister"

is it possible to use a kindle bought from the uk in Ireland? surely i should be able to switch what country I want to buy books from

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

sister bought a kindle for the mother for xmas, but she bought it from the uk amazon, had it delivered to the north and then down to her

now mam has registered the kindle to amazon.com, but its not letting her buy anything. tried to deregister it too on the kindle and on the website but it's just saying "unable to deregister"

is it possible to use a kindle bought from the uk in Ireland? surely i should be able to switch what country I want to buy books from

She probably just need to adjust the address/country settings http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-text&field-keywords=&x=12&y=17

Under the 'Manage your Kindle' tab, make sure the address is a S. Irish address.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

turns oiut all she had to do was wait 4 hours :)
    worked fine after dinner

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

I got a Kindle off santa, think its a Tesco kindle, I already have a amazon.co.uk accoutn years nad have bought stuff of fit laods. Now I go ontp My Kindle page and says that my Kindle is cover under the .com website, now I've never had a .com account and never used is so how do I go to the manage my kinde page if I dont have a .com account?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

You can log on with your .co.uk account. I am the same, a UK account but I've been using that to get books from the US site.

Advertisement