Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FFrench's Nightclub,monivea?

Options
  • 25-12-2011 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭

Is ffrenches in monivea close to Ballymacward or not too far from the Ballymac disco? Cos there are two places in Galway that's called Monivea,is it ballybane or ballbrit? I live in Killconnel so I was wondering if it is far from there or is it a different Monivea?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭galwayfreak

fFrenchies is in monivea near athenry. there is a monivea park in ballybane but that because its on the monivea road . ( sorry spelling is shocking )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Paulynator

fFrenchies is in monivea near athenry. there is a monivea park in ballybane but that because its on the monivea road . ( sorry spelling is shocking )

Galwayfreak,

I don't know the area at all and Google didn't give anything for a disco or nightclub in Monivea or Athenry so could you please provide directions or an address or intersection or something so I could find it or at least get close on a map? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭galwayfreak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 paddy145

Paulynator wrote: »
    Galwayfreak,

I don't know the area at all and Google didn't give anything for a disco or nightclub in Monivea or Athenry so could you please provide directions or an address or intersection or something so I could find it or at least get close on a map? Thanks.

You really havnt tried at all have you, type Monivea into Wikipedia, Google Maps, AA Ireland Route Planner and a hundred other things and it comes up first time every time. I dont know why you cant find it.

Its a small village about 15 miles from Galway City or 5 miles ffrom Athenry.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭aido76

This brings back some memories, good and bad....:o. FFrenches is at the back of McGanns bar. If you click on the link Galwayfreak gave, its on the junction where Ard Aoibhinn road is on the map. Not sure if its open anymore, last I heard it was only teenage discos there, but then again it was always teenage discos if you know what I mean:D

• Advertisement

paddy145, you haven't tried at all TO READ, have you? I didn't ask where Monivea is; I asked where the dance hall is. (You might want to actually read a post before you make a fool of yourself mistakenly tongue-lashing the author.)

Thanks very much, aido76, for your precise answer. In Google it's listed as McGann's Bar & Lounge and when the Google Street View pix were taken, on the front of the building it has something like "An Scpbol Restaurant & Bar" (script hard to read and letters damaged), and on a side window: "ffrench's nite club". I think the setting is charming; I'll try to give it some of my business on my first visit to Ireland; I'd love to toss back a pint or 3 there. Thanks again for your help, aido76.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

The restaurant (An Scibol, prob wrong spelling) has been closed for a couple of years at least, which is a shame because it was a fab little place. I'm about 99% sure the nightclub fFrench's is closed as well, the pub is still open though.

I'll try to give it some of my business on my first visit to ireland.

Just wondering how you heard about Ffrench's if your not from ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Lollipop95 wrote: »
    Is ffrenches in monivea close to Ballymacward or not too far from the Ballymac disco? Cos there are two places in Galway that's called Monivea,is it ballybane or ballbrit? I live in Killconnel so I was wondering if it is far from there or is it a different Monivea?

Ffreches was in Monivea village (about 20 miles from galway city) - not ballymac, I've no idea if it's still open or not.

Monivea Park (in mervue, galway city) is on the Galway to Monivea rd - hence the name. There's only 1 monivea in galway that I know of (on said road)

(Gonna respond to both at once.) Unfortunately my knowledge of the Irish language is pretty much...non-existent so thanks for the fixed spelling & translation, Tranceypoo. Aido, get ready to yawn: I'm doing genealogy research on my family. I'm a ffrench. (As you may know, a founding family/"tribe" of Galway.) I've hit an impasse trying to figure out who my ffrench ancestor was that came across the pond...gotten as far back as GGGrandfather in St.Thomas, (Danish West Indies then, U.S.Virgin Islands as of 1917). So, a few years ago I set up a Google Alert for any new mention of the name on the 'net and it found Lollipop95's question. Hope I didn't bore you totally to sleep.

• Advertisement

Not boring at all, for me at least. I have a PM sent. Tread is being taken off topic going into family history stuff!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 paddy145

paddy145, you haven't tried at all TO READ, have you? I didn't ask where Monivea is; I asked where the dance hall is. (You might want to actually read a post before you make a fool of yourself mistakenly tongue-lashing the author.)

Thanks very much, aido76, for your precise answer. In Google it's listed as McGann's Bar & Lounge and when the Google Street View pix were taken, on the front of the building it has something like "An Scpbol Restaurant & Bar" (script hard to read and letters damaged), and on a side window: "ffrench's nite club". I think the setting is charming; I'll try to give it some of my business on my first visit to Ireland; I'd love to toss back a pint or 3 there. Thanks again for your help, aido76.

Quite confusing response to be honest, the OP couldnt find Monivea (dancehall not emphasised - read again), Although I questioned how hard she tried I listed 3 websites that are very popular and would give the answer in seconds. I also gave an approximate location to avoid any confusion the OP had with Monivea in Galway City.

You then respond as if you are the OP and in addition as if I am responding to your post which wasnt even shown when I posted mine.
    Why Are you using two accounts?

Apparently im making a fool of myself, so please respond and help me to avoid this in the future.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Folks, back on topic please. Take the off topic stuff to PM.

If you have a problem with a post, report it.

Lollipop95 wrote: »

Here ya go, Lollipop95, the link to it on the map: http://g.co/maps/rwppy (The url looks funny pasted in; I hope it works right.) In case not, or it doesn't show the push-pin, here are the coordinates of the building you can just copy/paste into Gmaps: 53.374364,-8.705758

To be sure it's the right place, this link is the "Street View" showing the (old?) sign on the side of the building: http://g.co/maps/4nqa8 . Before I figured out how to do that, I captured the image so in case the link doesn't work, see the attached image.

'Hope that helps and not too much overkill.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,154 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Talk about time travel, look at the car on the left. Was the Street view car a DeLorean by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

flazio wrote: »
    Talk about time travel, look at the car on the left. Was the Street view car a DeLorean by any chance?

:D Now Monivea isn't exactly Piccadilly Circus but I've never seen it that empty!!

That Ffrench/fFrenchs signage is still there I think, don't mean it's still open, this is Ireland after all!!

Poster who was looking at family history, you should google Monivea Woods, there is a family history there, a mausaleum (that is most definitely spelt wrong), for the life of me I can't think of the family name attached to it, sorry!

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    Poster who was looking at family history, you should google Monivea Woods, there is a family history there, a mausaleum (that is most definitely spelt wrong), for the life of me I can't think of the family name attached to it, sorry!

The family attached to the Mausoleum are the Ffrench family;).

Also if you can get a close up on the reg of the old car it says "ffrenches".

aido76 wrote: »
    The family attached to the Mausoleum are the Ffrench family;).

Also if you can get a close up on the reg of the old car it says "ffrenches".

Thanks, you two. After much maneuvering and tinkering I was able to see the car's registration (we call license plates). That's too cool. I guess the owner parked her there on the wrong side of the street as kind of an advertisement; the classic beauty does catch the eye, for sure. The yellow placard at the side of R339 is advertising for the restaurant "opening soon". I looked it up and "An Sciobol" means "The Barn". You probably already knew that.:o

Advertisement