Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards "Happy Holidays" announcement??

Options
  • 25-12-2011 5:03pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

Whats the deal with that?? Why not say "Merry Xmas" or "Happy Xmas"???

Is there something wrong with wishing people a happy christmas?

This happy holidays nonsense belongs to the crazies in the States... is this also what boards is eluding to?

http://news.sky.com/home/world-news/article/16136964
    Post edited by Shield on
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Moved from Christmas as it's not really what that forum is about. This is more of a general question about a message on the site.

One assumes it is something to do with the fact that there are so many boards users, all over the world with many different cultures/religions that to say 'Merry Christmas' means only a message to some, whereas wishing people a 'Happy Holiday' extends to more people.

Personally I prefer Merry Christmas but then again, those I say it to generally celebrate Christmas.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I know the site caters for a lot of religions, but a lot of us do believe in Christmas as we know it and use "Merry Christmas". I hate the way our country is turning into being "Politically Polite" because we cater for a larger audience.

If I go to another country, they don't change for me!

Happy Holidays is just an example of being PC and its disappointing is all. Would be nice to just cater for the default.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

So, someone gives ye best wishes for the occasion that's in it, and ye give out that they used the wrong words in their greeting?

LOL. I thought the presents would have satisfied most people's sense of entitlement today.

(Being an atheist at Christmas is still fun, by the way. :cool: )

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

So, someone gives ye best wishes for the occasion that's in it, and ye give out that they used the wrong words in their greeting?

LOL. I thought the presents would have satisfied most people's sense of entitlement today.

(Being an atheist at Christmas is still fun, by the way. :cool: )

Its petty and a storm in a tea cup, but its a pet hate of mine anyway. :p

Did ya get any pressies or do ya ignore the occasion? :p

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Sully wrote: »
    Its petty and a storm in a tea cup, but its a pet hate of mine anyway. :p

Did ya get any pressies or do ya ignore the occasion? :p

Presents for all. :) I still say "Merry Christmas" to people too. It's nice to be nice, so I probably shouldn't have been so flippant in my last post. :o

• Advertisement

It could have been worse:
    Best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low stress, non-addictive, gender neutral, winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most joyous traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, but with respect for the religious persuasion of others who choose to practice their own religion as well as those who choose not to practice a religion at all. Disclaimer: This greeting is subject to clarification or withdrawal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

darkman2 wrote: »

This happy holidays nonsense belongs to the crazies in the States... is this also what boards is eluding to?

Merry Significant Calendar Date!

happy now?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

LoLth wrote: »
    Merry Significant Calendar Date!

happy now?

As a bitter bastard this sickens me and I find it offensive. No one should ever be happy, no matter the occasion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I don't like "Happy holidays" either - it's Christmas ffs, everyone knows it. Even if people don't celebrate it, they're just going to have to put up with it happening.
    Using "Happy holidays" also gives ammunition to the "PC gone mad" brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Baby Jesus wept

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Baby Jesus wept

Aye, that straws not comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Dudess wrote: »
    I don't like "Happy holidays" either - it's Christmas ffs, everyone knows it. Even if people don't celebrate it, they're just going to have to put up with it happening.
    Using "Happy holidays" also gives ammunition to the "PC gone mad" brigade.

Given that right now we are in the midst of Hannukah, as told by some Israeli friends, Happy Holidays is very much appropriate given there are at least two cultures holidays being celebrated right now.

Not to mention people who celebrate the winter Solstice and the turn of the sun around these days too.

Quanza starts tomorrow, but lets be fair, that's a truely made up holiday beginning in 1966/7.

To be honest, I see it as more of a present giving day and to show appreciation of Family and friends. I'm pretty damn athiest though and tend to not even enter churches for Funerals.

So, while saying Happy Holidays is probably a little PC, it's better than having people bitch about their particular holiday not being greeted. It's a nice catch-all rather than naming a few different ones that are being celebrated and happening to leave out the pagan's or whoever else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Quanza starts tomorrow, but lets be fair, that's a truely made up holiday beginning in 1966/7.

So exactly when does it become a real holiday? Christmas on December 25 only began in about 336 CE. At what point did that stop being a made up holiday and become a real one? (I actually have no idea what Quanza is and deliberately haven't looked it up yet).

As for Christmas I've a family of atheists and we still say Happy Christmas, exchange gifts etc. The religious aspect is irrelevant to us. But "Happy Holidays" still rankles as an Americanism where all language must be tailored to ensure nobody can be offended. That's what PC is - it's the language of fear of offending. aka Rubbish.

In summary:

186280.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Since the word 'holidays' was originally 'holy days,' it seems an appropriate greeting to me.

So, Happy Holy Days everybody!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Happy Holidays = Happy Christmas and New Year. There's no other significant religious holiday which occurs annually at this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

There's no other significant religious holiday which occurs annually at this time.

careful now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Happy birthday, Mithras. don't worry if those pesky christians stole your birthday to hawk their cult, they're always up to that stuff. You'll still be Number One to me! Alongside Osiris, Zoroaster, Krishna, Prometheus and all the others who were born today thousands of years before that jesus chap. Obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

darkman2 wrote: »

Why do you prefer to exclude rather than include?

Things change, you can't force repetition, we move and adapt to suit our desires. This is why christmas isn't about Christ anymore, but about Santa and family. So whoever is annoyed at "happy holidays": you brought it on yourself by bringing Santa in to take over.

Happy holidays :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Couldn't agree more with the idea that Happy Holidays is American-PC-patent-nonsense gone mad.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

LoLth wrote: »
    careful now

Why, what one am I missing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 roger_pearse

Sarky wrote: »
    Happy birthday, Mithras. don't worry if those pesky christians stole your birthday to hawk their cult, they're always up to that stuff. You'll still be Number One to me! Alongside Osiris, Zoroaster, Krishna, Prometheus and all the others who were born today thousands of years before that jesus chap. Obviously.

Poor chap. Another atheist for whom facts are something that other people learn, and who doesn't know how to use Google. :D

I love the way that atheists hate the season of goodwill, tho.

All the best,

Roger Pearse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Poor chap. Another atheist for whom facts are something that other people learn, and who doesn't know how to use Google. :D

I love the way that atheists hate the season of goodwill, tho.
    Nope, lots don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 roger_pearse

Dudess wrote: »
    Nope, lots don't.

I love the way that atheists respond to inconvenient facts with monosyllablic denial.

Gordon wrote: »
    Why do you prefer to exclude rather than include?

Things change, you can't force repetition, we move and adapt to suit our desires. This is why christmas isn't about Christ anymore, but about Santa and family. So whoever is annoyed at "happy holidays": you brought it on yourself by bringing Santa in to take over.

Happy holidays :)

Who says we don't have both? Santa has been celebrated just as much as Christ was, over the years.

Happy Holidays was a phrase used to suit non-Catholics/believers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I was out celebrating the end of Ramadan with a Muslamic friend a few years ago. Sickened with myself for it and uttering Eid Mubarak. I have no doubt she feels the same when I say Merry Christmas to her and she returns the phrase...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I am disappointed but maybe not surprised that boards.ie with its cafe latte, metrosexual Guardian reading Admins bias has chosen to offend Christians and traditionalists in this manner.

Boards caters for a lot of religions, it's only right to make them feel comfortable.

For any Community fans -

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,417 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Reminded me of the end of a Coca Cola ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Why, what one am I missing?

Winter Soltice/Yule is a religious holiday celebrated by pagans, of which there are many who use this site, for one and this year Hannukkah is celebrated from Sunset, December 20 to sunset, December 28 and we have Jewish members of the site also.
    So frankly your ignorance is showing.

Just because you are celebrating christmas it does not follow everyone else is.

If happy holidays are upsetting people that much maybe switch to something else.

"Because you're great, it bears relatin'
    Happy What-You're-Celebratin'
    From me to you, it's worth restatin'
    Happy What-You're-Celebratin'
    Raise a glass, invite your mate in
    Whether or not the date's worth ratin'
    Take a break from What-You're-Hatin'
    Happy What-You're-Celebratin'"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,494 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I absent-mindedly wished a Jewish friend 'Happy Christmas' a couple of days ago. He wasn't too worried.

I don't think we would mind Happy Holidays if the Americans hadn't thought of it first.:pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement