Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser Pens and cats

• 25-12-2011 7:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭

If want to get the cats exercise, get a 5Mw red laser pen (I got this one, as it feels sturdy enough and takes AAA batteries; and get two or more, as you may get one that doesn't work).

Although it's a "weak" laser pen (only produces a clear dot for 10 or so meters), the 5Mw lasers are what should used for animals. Also, when playing with the cats, remember to have a "treat" at the end of the fun. The reason for the treat is that the red laser activated the cats will to "hunt", and if there's no treat at the end the cat will feel disappointed that they "hunted" but didn't get anything.

I've found this works on house-cats, but not so much on the outdoor-cats as tend to ignore it. I'm told the red laser pens work for dogs, but most will not chase the red laser as much as the cats (probably as they don't look on the ground and fail to see the red dot).

Most important, do not give these to kids, as kids don't always realise that they shouldn't point them at people (can block the person from seeing whilst the laser is pointing at them).

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

I bought toys for my cats over the years and they soon got bored with them..they are not fooled by a battery operated mouse....but they still like the laser pointer .It was great value .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

My dogs love laser pens, so much so that they recognise the sound the keyring makes when it hits the pen and know a game is about to start as soon as I pick it up. They both fully understand that I make the light appear with the pen but enjoy the game anyway as they clearly don't understand that you can see something that isn't an object. At the moment we use a cat toy which projects a white fish image that I got on zooplus.
    http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/cats/cat_toys/miscellaneous/188544

Advertisement