Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is skyrim actually unplayable on PS3

Options
  • 25-12-2011 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭

I want to get it ASAP but I've been reading around and apparently after you save a few times the framerate plummets and renders it unplayable. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Have not had any problems so far yet again i only got it today and put in a half an hour of gameplay , let ya know as i progress further

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

Have not had any problems so far yet again i only got it today and put in a half an hour of gameplay , let ya know as i progress further
    I've completed the main quest as well as the companion quest line and the only slowdown I notice is when the game saves, and it isnt bad. My save file is 7 meg something. I say get it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I didn't notice any problems while playing anyways. I'm only about 5hours in but everything is grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

My save has become pretty unplayable. Whenever I travel to a big city after playing for a while it goes extremely laggy and usually freezes. I'm pretty disappointed. Haven't tried making a new save as I don't want to restart it all again, but for me it's a big problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    My save has become pretty unplayable. Whenever I travel to a big city after playing for a while it goes extremely laggy and usually freezes. I'm pretty disappointed. Haven't tried making a new save as I don't want to restart it all again, but for me it's a big problem.
    That sound's like a right pain in the arse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,181 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Ah, feck sake. I bought this recently for PS3 and all that doesn't sound too promising :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭killerhitman

i only really have frame drops after about 3-4 hours of gameplay and all i have to do is turn it on and off again and its fine

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

It's a Bethesda game so the unfortunate truth is the gameplay will be amazing, when it works.

You will love this game for the hours of enjoyment it will bring you but you will also hate it for the endless bugs and sometimes hilarious glitches. If you've played either of the most recent fallouts you can expect to see similar issues.

If all that sounds too stressful then go for a Valve game instead. the don't release games until they are 100%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭FooFighters

My save 11mb and i have never experienced so much as a jump in framerate or a system freeze, even after long hours of non stop play

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

I get the occasional bit of lag but that seems to only happen when the game is autosaving. What frustrates me more is getting f*cking annihilated by enemies such as frost trolls and sabre cats!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Ive seen the xbox and ps3 versions, and the the frame rate is rubbish on ps3, seemed to be stuttering every couple of minutes whereas the xbox version was fine. Its not unplayable but maybe wait for another patch?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

After an hour the frame rate starts getting jittery. Then textures start turning into glowing blue panels and frame rates really go downhill. That effect reminds me of VR environments in movies when the VR world starts fritzing out. Reboot, rinse and repeat.
    Neilos wrote: »
    It's a Bethesda game so the unfortunate truth is the gameplay will be amazing, when it works.

In my case, what annoys me is that you have to wait to save, all of the options in the start menu can be greyed out for a while. It's probably autosaving itself, but it's another thing I wouldn't trust from a Bethesda game.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,181 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Why the fúck do they release it if it's such a shambles?

2hrs not a problem

Only bug that occured was the first main quest , i seen nor heard any dragon that flew away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Problems dont start to appear till you get about 20-30 hours in and the save file starts to exceed 8mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

I think im about 30-40 hours in on the PS3, never had any stuttering or bad frame rates. Apparently it only effects people when they're save file is over 12mb or something ? Think thats like 60 hours worth on average.

They'll probably have it patched by the time you get that far tho (Hopefully).

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭politicsdude

I'm about 75 hours into my playthough on ps3 its still playable but does lag quite a bit I find I need to turn it off after an hour or so or it will stall. Real pain in the ass but then at 75 hours you should have most of the main quest lines completed ... so I wouldn't say its unplayable but its definately in 3rd place regarded prefered formats to play it on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

it the game itself buggy, and just more buggy on the ps3? I'm v tempted to get it... How is it on the Xbox?

I know it's an expansive game but if i'm encountering bugs and glitches regularly then it'd drive me nuts!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

jaykhunter wrote: »
    it the game itself buggy, and just more buggy on the ps3? I'm v tempted to get it... How is it on the Xbox?

I know it's an expansive game but if i'm encountering bugs and glitches regularly then it'd drive me nuts!

Watch the first video in this article to see how bad it is, its hits as low as 0 FPS lol

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-ps3-skyrim-lag

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I have it on Xbox and it started getting like that last night, only a few hours in so not like its a 65 hour save.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭jammstarr

I've played for about a hundred or so hours now and it's alright. Had it freeze on loading screens about 6 times now so it's not the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Ok - playing for a day and in my last two game sittings the PS3 froze when I was exiting a building.

Have gone and disabled ALL autosaves and deleted most of my savegame files.
    Will report back in on if this made a difference for me.

Also cleaned up some space on the PS3 by deleting a load of old game save data and game saves...

Was really enjoying it until this started happening - think I am around 10hrs in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

I turned off all autosaves as soon as I started the game. So far the only thing that's gone wrong for me is that the game has crashed once, but that was only after about 6 hours straight of playing, and I see that as more of a feature- it locks you out after a while so you don't lose the rest of your day to the game.:)

I've owned New Vegas, Fallout 3 and Oblivion for the PS3, suffice to say, I accepted that anything involving the Gamebyro engine is bound to mess up from time to time.

I'm hoping that, having started my game with the patch was installed, and with another one on the way soon, it doesn't become unplayable after 8MB of saves, because hot damn, I will be putting the hours into this baayscht of a vehjoe gayem.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Well - since I turned off autosave 2 hrs ago no more crashes - last two happened within 15 minutes of each other....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭King Krib

Played skyrim for the first time this evening, I've just spent an hour in a mine shooting arrows and sneaking about, wow that's all I'm saying.

Im about 6hrs in now, I've had no problems. Was pulling my hair out over the golden claw quest though, it took me an hour to find it even are clearing the cave, the dude that had it fell into a pile of web when he died, I couldn't him for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

thanks all, gonna pick it up later today, delete a load of old save data and hope for the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭gflood

The loading is terrible. and I really mean terrible. I have it now on my PC and not only does it look 100 times better it loads almost instantly between sections. I can do withought eye candy but the loading was unbearable for me. It plays just like console version with a 360 controller.

18hrs in not a single problem bar an odd bug hear and their that doesnt affect the experience whats so ever , from what im reading the problems dont happen to everyone but its their so embrace yourselves if the worst happens but if ya played both fallouts and didnt mind the bugs , skyrim wont bother you

• Advertisement

18hrs in not a single problem bar an odd bug hear and their that doesnt affect the experience whats so ever , from what im reading the problems dont happen to everyone but its their so embrace yourselves if the worst happens but if ya played both fallouts and didnt mind the bugs , skyrim wont bother you
    Well said, I played through fallout 3 and loved it bugs and all, New Vegas really was terrible for bugs, but I haven't had an issue with skyrim, at least not yet. I have to admit the loading times aren't that bad, not game breakers by a long shot.

Advertisement