Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incredibly slow steam download

Options
  • 25-12-2011 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭

Hey all, happy Christmas,

Having a problem loading Empire Total War on Steam. Got the game in hardcopy for Christmas, and have been attempting to download it for the past 4 hours. I checked the download speed for our internet connection and it's 20mbps, but the game is downloading at a rate of 700kbps. I'm not exactly an expert on this kind of thing, but that seems a pretty large disprepancy to me. Also, I have the disks so why am I downloading the game in its entirety. Surely it should be on the disks. I had thought all I'd be doing is some form of verification, but it seems not. Other games I bought pre-Steam just installed normally in a few minutes. Why on earth, with all the advances since, should it take the best part of 12 hours to download the game now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

See here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

The problem is the Steam sale my friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Thanks for that. Unfortunately, I'm 60% through the download, and that requires a re-start of Steam, so can't do it right now. Will do it for the next game though.

Why on earth does it take so long though? I'd understand if I was downloading the entire game from the site, but I have the hard copy.
    When I bought the other TW series a few years back, it took a few minutes to install on my laptop. I had assumed that I'd only be verifying the game online, but the rate I'm going it seems I'm downloading the entire web!

(now I'm on 198kbps...on a 20mbps connection!! That's absurd! Seriously, I could be half way towards conquering the world by now!!)

The problem is the Steam sale my friend.

Sales suck! :(

Should it really take this long considering I actually have the physical game? If I have to download the thing anyway, what the hell is on the two disks I got today??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

I think it might have something to do with how quickly Steam is uploading it aswell.I never get above 1mb/s if I download something from Steam.Maybe they put a cap on the speed so they dont overload the servers in certain areas.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

On mobile now so hard to link but just Google force steam install from disk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Einhard wrote: »
    Sales suck! :(

Should it really take this long considering I actually have the physical game? If I have to download the thing anyway, what the hell is on the two disks I got today??

Is it maybe downloading updates? Everytime i installed Empire it had download a load of updates before i could play.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭Nollog

marco_polo wrote: »
    On mobile now so hard to link but just Google force steam install from disk.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=5357-FSQM-0382 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Ukraine server usually has good speeds during sale time

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Einhard wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Unfortunately, I'm 60% through the download, and that requires a re-start of Steam, so can't do it right now. Will do it for the next game though.

You can restart Steam without it impacting what you have already downloaded. You can even restart your computer if you were of a mind.

• Advertisement

You can restart Steam without it impacting what you have already downloaded. You can even restart your computer if you were of a mind.

That's brilliant. I did it and the estimated download time dropped from 8 hours to 59 minutes! Only an hour more of boring, stultifying small talk with the inlaws!! Thanks. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Krieg wrote: »
    Ukraine server usually has good speeds during sale time
    I don't/can't see the option for Ukraine in the drop down list. Any other decent servers? only getting 60 KB/S at the mo

Advertisement