Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless network not appearing in list??

Options
  • 25-12-2011 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭

Hi there and happy xmas to ye......:)

I'm hoping ye might be able to help me out. I'm trying to connect my sons new laptop to our home wireless internet but our network name is not appearing in the list of network connections available.

I've tried googling the problem but must admit I'm a bit of a technophobe so no joy as I dont understand a lot of the jargon:o

I've disabled the windows firewall and the Norton firewall as I'm reading that this may be a cause but still no listing. My other son had no problem connecting a Samsung Galaxy phone at the same time so the problem would not seem to be the wireless connection:confused:

My sons laptop is an e-machines Intel atom processor (Windows 7 starter) and the 3 network adapters say there are working fine in the device Manager!

The laptop is copyrighted as of 2009 and I'm wondering if it may be that the network adapter drivers need updating???

I'm really at a loss so any tips would be greatly appreciated and sorry for the huge post..............:)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Try changing the channel that the wireless network is being broadcast on. Some wi fi cards will not see some networks that broadcast on higher channel numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Hijpo

dub45 wrote: »
    Try changing the channel that the wireless network is being broadcast on. Some wi fi cards will not see some networks that broadcast on higher channel numbers.
    You should make sure the wireless card is turned on. There will either be a button on the keyboard or a switch on the side of the laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Hijpo wrote: »
    You should make sure the wireless card is turned on. There will either be a button on the keyboard or a switch on the side of the laptop.

Or function + f2

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

dub45 wrote: »

Hiya dub45,
    The wireless is definitely turned on and I updated all the drivers using a wired connection but still am not able to locate our wireless home network in the listings.
    How do I go about changing the channel number that the network is being broadcast on??
    Thank you:)

Hiya dub45,
    The wireless is definitely turned on and I updated all the drivers using a wired connection but still am not able to locate our wireless home network in the listings.
    How do I go about changing the channel number that the network is being broadcast on??
    Thank you:)

Anyone here???:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Spudzzmurphy

Anyone here???:confused:

You will have to log onto your wireless router via " wired connection" and change it in your routers internet configuration sub menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Connect to your router via ethernet, type the router IP Address into the address bar on your internet browser. You should get to a log on screen, check the bottom of your router for a username and password. Where the channel selection option is depends on your type of router, you wont break anything if you dont change any of the options so have a click through the menus until you find a box that lets you change the channel. When you change it dont forget to click apply/save

Thanks lads/ladies.... I'll give that a shot:)

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Spudzzmurphy

Connect to your router via ethernet, type the router IP Address into the address bar on your internet browser. You should get to a log on screen, check the bottom of your router for a username and password. Where the channel selection option is depends on your type of router, you wont break anything if you dont change any of the options so have a click through the menus until you find a box that lets you change the channel. When you change it dont forget to click apply/save

Thanks Hijpo,did not have time today "Work" to explain all as one should,Well done !

You will have to log onto your wireless router via " wired connection" and change it in your routers internet configuration sub menu.

Thank you so so so much................. Changed it to Channel 1 and it worked instantly.:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Thanks for letting us know that your problem was solved. It can help other readers of the forum to know when a suggested solution works.

Advertisement