Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

banjo questions

Options
  • 25-12-2011 10:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi,
    I have recently received a 4 string banjo as a gift.

I wish to play traditional music but I cant really afford lessons at the moment.

I feel there is a lack of sites and info(such as chords and songs) on the internet that I can learn off.

I am very enthusiastic and could just use some pointers on what the first steps are.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

There seems to be plenty on youtube.

However, a few hands on lessons from a good teacher could save you months of frustration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Shoot2kill

Can anyone recommend a brand/type of banjo that would be good enough to do a beginner for the first few years of learning?

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭KathleenMcCabe

banjo 22 - you could try purchasing the gerry o connor book and dvd for learning banjo. He gives a polka for using as an excercise on the banjo and helps with techniques etc

shoot to kill - the likes of goodwins, mc collough piggots and mc neills have a nice selection of banjos.
    I was choosing a banjo for my dad to start off on and it was a close call between the honer countryman and the tanglewood tenor. I chose the countryman and the setup has never really been perfect on it. There's always a buzz/twang on the D string when it's played and never seem to have mangaged to get it properly sorted. I got it in goodwins on capel st by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Shoot2kill

banjo 22 - you could try purchasing the gerry o connor book and dvd for learning banjo. He gives a polka for using as an excercise on the banjo and helps with techniques etc

shoot to kill - the likes of goodwins, mc collough piggots and mc neills have a nice selection of banjos.
    I was choosing a banjo for my dad to start off on and it was a close call between the honer countryman and the tanglewood tenor. I chose the countryman and the setup has never really been perfect on it. There's always a buzz/twang on the D string when it's played and never seem to have mangaged to get it properly sorted. I got it in goodwins on capel st by the way.

Thanks for that. I'm starting lessons next week. (excited & nervous) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭KathleenMcCabe

Best of luck with it. :) Enjoy! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

KathleenMcCabe - sounds like it could be a problem with the action.. have you looked along the banjo from the bridge up towards the neck to see if it is lying too close to the frets?
    A new bridge could sort this out for you, to heighten the string?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭imasmeasmecanbe

That's definitely a good call, I started out with one of his books myself many moons ago now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 sellman

there are lots of trad banjo tabs up on www.mandolincafe.com its a site for mandolins but as they are stringed the same the tabs work for banjos too. Best of luck with the banjo playing:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Pat the Ratbastard

banjolin.co.uk

Advertisement