Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Access denied message keeps appearing

Options
  • 25-12-2011 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭

Hiya,
    I keep getting the access denied page whenever I thank or post a reply to any posts today. It has happened to me in the After Hours, Soccer and Ladies Lounge. When I go back via the forum drop down menu I see that my thanks has been registered:confused:

I'm not banned or restricted on these so not sure if its just a glitch of some sort.....

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

have got this aswell a few times today trying to thank posts

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

have got this aswell a few times today trying to thank posts

Gave me an awful fright when it first happened in AH............I thought, Aw FFS, what have I done now to get a ban:eek::D

Haha, just got it there again Helimacopter when I thanked your post:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

Your permissions are fine, as are yours Helimachoptor. If this keeps happening, please post back here, and screenshot the message.

Danny

I got this message again when I tried to thank a post in the Forum Requests forum..... Hope this screen shot worked:o

I clicked thanks to the post #55 by Orion in this thread and then the screen below appeared. I've gone back in to check the post and it has registered the thanks.

I'm using Windows Internet explorer:)

error_5.png

• Advertisement

Thanks for the details fluffyorganic1, I will give it a proper look as soon as I can spare a few minutes :)

No bother at all Danny..... It's not bothering me as it is actually letting me thanks/post and is only happening intermittently:)

Aaaaaand I think I'm done with this one. There are two issues here:

1) We have two ways to thank a post - the foreground way (which is a direct link to /vbulletin/post_thanks.php) and a Javascript-based "background" way that sends off the same request, but in the background. The idea is that if you have Javascript turned on in your browser then we send the thanks request in the background and the thanks box magically gets updated with your thanks but if you don't then you still thank the post but your browser reloads the page. It's an either/or situation. It appears from the logs we have that with certain browsers (apparently only IE) and only at certain times, that it does both background and foreground requests. Since you can only thank a post once, when the foreground request gets processed after the background one, you get a lovely error page. Since the issue is so intermittent and only affects a handful of users (judging by feedback on this thread) I don't think we will spend time trying to fix it; I've spent enough time trying to figure out what was causing it :D

Which leads us on to the next issue, and for all intents and purposes, your fix:

2) We show a (very generic) permission denied page if you don't have permission to thank a post because it has already been thanked and you're using a foreground request. A much better user experience would be to just ignore the fact you have already thanked the post, and continue on as if we just thanked it for the first time (i.e. redirect you back to the post). If we do that, then in the rare cases when your request gets double-sent, everything will continue to work completely as expected, no permission denied error messing up your day

I'll get to work on this, hopefully will have it done today :)

And the change is live. I will not lock this thread, I still would like feedback from others if it happens again - screenshots, browser names and version etc :)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement