Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gatso van on christmas day,

Options
  • 26-12-2011 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭

did any one else see it today,was out on the killure airport road between 6 and 7 this evening,bad form from them me thinks for the day thats in it :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

did any one else see it today,was out on the killure airport road between 6 and 7 this evening,bad form from them me thinks for the day thats in it :mad:
    They shouldn't enforce the law on christmas day?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

dvpower wrote: »

They want €€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

dvpower wrote: »

its the same as any other day to many people in the country....granted we are mainly a nation of catholics but increasing more and more religions and non-believers.

anyways - as was said they want/need the money !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I see no problem with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

We should all spare a thought for all Gardaí and Emergency Services who have to work on Christmas day, instead of complaining about them in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Well in fairness, the OP never mentioned the Gardai or any other emergency service personnel, he is speaking about a private firm whom are contracted to run these speed detector vans.

I think we can all agree that without the frontline services provided by the public sector we would all be up **** creek.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Id be sickened if I got caught on Christmas day but sure laws are for everyday and don't have holidays. I got caught 23rd December 08 lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

There is no rest for the wicked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Unfortunately there have already been some tragedies this festive season, and every festive season.

Let's hope the camera saves someone some misery.

dayshah wrote: »
    Unfortunately there have already been some tragedies this festive season, and every festive season.

Let's hope the camera saves someone some misery.
    Sick attack up the country earlier on today. Brother was working this morning but came down for dinner. Some seriously sick people around bud

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

just coz some people aint workin today does,nt mean that others aint also ya know!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

No one should drive on xmas day, you'r supposed to be a hermit, thank's to Mary she hadn't twins or we would never get out, imagine two virgin berth's,and she'd be saying I only done it twice.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Well in fairness, the OP never mentioned the Gardai or any other emergency service personnel, he is speaking about a private firm whom are contracted to run these speed detector vans.

I think we can all agree that without the frontline services provided by the public sector we would all be up **** creek.

Christ.

As if he wouldn't have posted it if it was the traffic corps. His point was that a blind eye should be turned for the day that's in it...which is totally wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭the roo

As much as i would like not to be caught myself ! if your not speeding you have nothing to worry about and as being out on the road i prefer the idea that they are there as a measure to stop bad driving as opposed to causing it and keeping our roads safer for all us out on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

the roo wrote: »
    As much as i would like not to be caught myself ! if your not speeding you have nothing to worry about and as being out on the road i prefer the idea that they are there as a measure to stop bad driving as opposed to causing it and keeping our roads safer for all us out on them.

Don't want to get in to the whole issue of speed vans but you said they're a measure to catch bad driving, what's more dangerous (see below)? Speed vans will only catch one part of bad driving.

1. somebody driving at 110 kph on a straight road overtaking nobody, nobody ahead of them.

2. Somebody travelling in the middle of a non primary road at 70 kph (limit 80 kph) and meets an oncoming car.

3. somebody overtaking a slow moving car on a bend but only doing about 80 kph.

Speed vans will only catch one, the guy doing the least dangerous driving.

Edit.

I'm not anti speed van but I hate when somebody (Gay Byrne, Noel Brett, etc) think they'll eliminate all bad driving and road deaths by stopping speeding.
    I live out the Monang Road in Dungarvan which for the most part is pitch black, the amount of people in black on the wrong side of the road walking out there is awful, the worst offenders are parents with kids in a pram yet you never hear Gay Byrne talk abou it. I sometimes feel like stopping the car and giving out to them but they'd probably give out back or take my number and report me.

I understand your point and speed vans have a limited enforcement use and of course they do not stop you and you only learn of the penalty well after the offence has occurred. But if it slows a driver down and therefore reduces the stopping distance required if needed. who can plan ahead for the unepected hazard on the road. no one wishes to be involved in an accident hence why they called accidents. but if a driver slows down because of their presence it can only be good. we will never really be able to quantify what they prevent.

I understand your point and speed vans have a limited enforcement use and of course they do not stop you and you only learn of the penalty well after the offence has occurred. But if it slows a driver down and therefore reduces the stopping distance required if needed. who can plan ahead for the unepected hazard on the road. no one wishes to be involved in an accident hence why they called accidents. but if a driver slows down because of their presence it can only be good. we will never really be able to quantify what they prevent.

Totally agree and it's something I've done as I got older but annoys me when people like Gay Byrne seem to think speed is the only reason for road deaths. I've no doubt he doesn't believe it but all his utterances seem to suggest it.

I travel between Dungarvan and Carrigtohill everyday, once you hit the end of Castlemartyr there is a speed camera sign, some people take this to mean they have to drive 60 kph all the way to Middleton so what you have are guys overtaking on solid white lines (crazy I know) and by the time they pass the van at the lake they could be doing 90 on the wrong side of the road, the van won't catch. I also don't think I need to go into the reasons why the van is there, don't want to speculate but speed cameras might never have got this either.

speed speed speed the public message alright is to slow down, but as you say it does not tackle the problem of bad driving like you i am a regular commuter on the road and what i see drives me mad as a responsible driver. the driver system of training needs radical overhauling. but unfortunately our own conscience as drivers on the road is what determines driver behaviour and as you say not everyone gives a sh.t. i suppose they are trying to concentrate on the common just to get the message accross as they know there are more common problems that they will never be able to change or influence so just concentrate on the shock factor of the results of this behaviour

I agree, you should start with speed but the amount of things that could lead to accident / death on the road beside speed is frightening.
    Again on the Monang road today, a girl of about 7 or 8 was walking on her own, right side of the road in broad daylight. I'm on the opposite side of the road, car comes against her (on her side) and me, I slow down down and leave the car come on to my side of the road, no problem, get a thank you from the other driver. Before i pass the girl, another car comes against her, pulls out and forces me to stop, a mother in a people carrier on the phone having a great conversation (laughing away), no acknowledgement whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Roanmore wrote: »
    I agree, you should start with speed but the amount of things that could lead to accident / death on the road beside speed is frightening.
    Again on the Monang road today, a girl of about 7 or 8 was walking on her own, right side of the road in broad daylight. I'm on the opposite side of the road, car comes against her (on her side) and me, I slow down down and leave the car come on to my side of the road, no problem, get a thank you from the other driver. Before i pass the girl, another car comes against her, pulls out and forces me to stop, a mother in a people carrier on the phone having a great conversation (laughing away), no acknowledgement whatsoever.

I wonder if its possible to have some sort of detector for whatever radiation phones give out. That way vans could get them too.

Then take a photo to prove it, and ensure they aren't on a hands-free.

• Advertisement

Hey Roanmore from what i see on the road i thought i was the only responsible one out there ! Thank god you see and experience the same nothing worst then an ungrateful driver when you give them way. But we can only muddle on and hope we will never the terriable call to our door. it starts with one and we can only do our do best as individuals to ensure that at least we are safe. some say ignorance is bliss that is until a terriable lession is learned. as i say earlier accidents are accidents as no one whats to be in one but at least we can lessen our risk

Hey Roanmore from what i see on the road i thought i was the only responsible one out there ! Thank god you see and experience the same nothing worst then an ungrateful driver when you give them way. But we can only muddle on and hope we will never the terriable call to our door. it starts with one and we can only do our do best as individuals to ensure that at least we are safe. some say ignorance is bliss that is until a terriable lession is learned. as i say earlier accidents are accidents as no one whats to be in one but at least we can lessen our risk

I'm no saint, please believe me on that, but I will always try and avoid doing something that will hurt me or somebody else.
    I have no doubt that people do something stupid without meaning it, I've done it myself, and afterwards you say "what the f*** was I doing", but you learn from it.
    What gets me especially in Dungarvan is people running red lights, not talking about orange, talking about the third car through a red light, people going through zebra crosses when there are people on it, etc.

Got to apologise for taking this thread off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Roanmore wrote: »
    I'm no saint, please believe me on that, but I will always try and avoid doing something that will hurt me or somebody else.
    I have no doubt that people do something stupid without meaning it, I've done it myself, and afterwards you say "what the f*** was I doing", but you learn from it.
    What gets me especially in Dungarvan is people running red lights, not talking about orange, talking about the third car through a red light, people going through zebra crosses when there are people on it, etc.

Got to apologise for taking this thread off topic.

Dungarven isn't exactly Stockholm, or wherever you may think the utopia of perfect driving is. An off the beaten track retirement village somewhere in the English home counties may suit you.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭puppetmaster

Christ.

As if he wouldn't have posted it if it was the traffic corps. His point was that a blind eye should be turned for the day that's in it...which is totally wrong.

Either way, the OP didnt post anything about Gardai or emergency services, your putting words in their mouth and telling them not to give out about them, then getting insulted when someone points out that fact. Chill, aint noone here sayin that they dont appreciate frontline services.

Speed van boys have a contract for 365 days a year same as many private firms so not much ya can do only keep her under the limit ;). I have little problem with the concept of speed vans. Free's up gardai for more important activity. What really grates me is some of the positions they are parking in, like the climbing lane on the N25 coming out of Wexford, Or on the 2:1 road coming into Carrick in the dark. I honestly think their causing more danger than they are preventing in those positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Bards

Either way, the OP didnt post anything about Gardai or emergency services, your putting words in their mouth and telling them not to give out about them, then getting insulted when someone points out that fact. Chill, aint noone here sayin that they dont appreciate frontline services.

Speed van boys have a contract for 365 days a year same as many private firms so not much ya can do only keep her under the limit ;). I have little problem with the concept of speed vans. Free's up gardai for more important activity. What really grates me is some of the positions they are parking in, like the climbing lane on the N25 coming out of Wexford, Or on the 2:1 road coming into Carrick in the dark. I honestly think their causing more danger than they are preventing in those positions.
    Not to mention paring on on-ramps which I am sure are clear ways, Gardai should not be exempt from the law that they are supposed to upkeep!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Bards wrote: »
    Not to mention paring on on-ramps which I am sure are clear ways, Gardai should not be exempt from the law that they are supposed to upkeep!

Which some Gardai in Waterford thought they were exempt from the law, but thankfully they were caught out.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Roomic Cube

I feel worse for the poor fúcker who has to sit in the van all day, those vans are manned, if you're speeding you're speeding and it's your own fault.

I feel worse for the poor fúcker who has to sit in the van all day, those vans are manned, if you're speeding you're speeding and it's your own fault.
    must be as boring as watching paint dry alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭dark_shadow

I'd be more worried sitting in one and wondering is someone going to throw a petrol bomb at the van. Fair play to them for doing their job, I know I wouldn't fancy it anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Is it just me or has gatso van presence eased off around the city,
    The one on the dunmore road by Collins ave is never there anymore,
    Also the one on Balkytruckle is absent

Advertisement